Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes ski pass

Poster: A snowHead
Us Qs are thinking of going to Tignes for Christmas and looking to save every penny we can (bloody recession Evil or Very Mad ). We've stayed in ValD quite a lot in the past, so have skied the Tignes area, but are thinking of getting Tignes only ski passes - it's quite a saving between the four of us.

There looks like quite a decent amount of skiing covered on it, the long Sache down to Breviere, the runs up by the Aiguille Rouge etc.

Do people who know the Espace Killy reckon we'd be ok with just the Tignes pass?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes on its own is bigger than many other resorts. Val d'Isere is also bigger than many other resorts. Together they form a huge area. So a one-area pass will give you lots of skiing. The two areas you mention are just a fraction of what Tignes has to offer. If you need to, then go for the one-area pass. I am sure you would not be disappointed. Just be careful that you do not ski into the other area or you may have to buy a half day pass, or a taxi ride, back home.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RachelQ, one thing to consider, Tignes does not have much tree skiing if the weather closes in. Val d'Isere doesn't have much, but it has more than Tignes and I've used the terrain down to La Daille as a bolt-hole when the weather has been bad.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ, you'd of course be fine with "just" a local pass. However, it sounds like you've been skiing for a while so I assume are all pretty proficient on skis; for me, I would find it extremely frustrating to not have the whole Espace Killy pass. You say its quite a saving; on the website prices are advertised as 185 euros for Tignes pass or 218 for Espace Killy, so 33 euros each or 132 euros total for the four of you.

I guess you have to make the trade-off and wonder how you'll feel having that extent of skiing on your doorstep but not being able to access it. I know it sounds churlish to say its "only" another 132 euros on what is already an expensive holiday, but (without wishing to sound patronising) that is how I would look at it. But of course, if cost is truly a significantly limiting factor then the Tignes area on its own is decent enough for a week.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RachelQ, I really think you'll be happier with the full Espace Killy pass. I love Tignes, & prefer to stay there rather than Val D'Isere (going again the week before Christmas, yippee snowHead ) but I'd feel a bit frustrated with just the Tignes pass. Sorry... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I guess you have to make the trade-off and wonder how you'll feel having that extent of skiing on your doorstep but not being able to access it. I know it sounds churlish to say its "only" another 132 euros on what is already an expensive holiday, but (without wishing to sound patronising) that is how I would look at it. But of course, if cost is truly a significantly limiting factor then the Tignes area on its own is decent enough for a week.

I'd agree with the above. BUT if you do go for just a Tignes pass, I think (can anybody confirm Puzzled ) that you can pay a few euros on a daily basis to upgrade to Espace Killy - so that might be worth doing.

Also, the run from the top of Toviere above Tignes down towards La Daille/Val D'Isere, and the return via Tommeuses Chair, is included on the Tignes pass. Not a lot of people know that Little Angel. Worth doing - but it might just give you a taster of what you're missing.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
also check the borsat express chair.... usually without barrier, just be sure not to ski into val
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would (and have!) compromised everywhere else to have the full area.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the replies - you can always count on snowHeads! Very Happy

Adrian, having had to pay for a taxi years ago from La Plagne round to Champagny we'd make very sure not to make the mistake of being in the wrong place again. That cost a lot of beer money. Sad

rob@rar, I realise it could be a problem about the lack of tree lined skiing, but we've skied in Val Thorens at Christmas and it's even worse there. We'd just have to take a chance on the weather and hope for fresh snow every night and blue bird days! Very Happy Mmmmm...

I know it looks a bit churlish, but we are in quite dire straits financially at the moment, and it's a question of doing it as cheap as possible or not doing it at all (and 132 Euros buys quite a few apres drinks). And I know which I'd rather do. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think you would be frustrated by the inability to explore the full area..The difference in price wouldnt be worth the saving for the Tignes only pass unless you are a beginner.I love Tignes and bought 4 adult passses for the full area for me and three teenage kids last year but it is really priceyl
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, save money by not having ski lessons at Hemel! You can ski better than just about everyone there anyway! Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whilst i'd agree you might potentially miss having access to the full area that others here mentioned. Having stayed in both before i think the ski area in tignes is far superior to Val D & extensive enough in it's own right that if you feel the saving is necessary that you won't be left wanting in Tignes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ, it's only four Erdingers each, or two spag bols each in Brevieres... Erm, remind me why I like Tignes again Shocked

BTW, if the weather's bad but the snow's good, the reds & blue into Brevieres are a good option - the reds are really quite red, & the blue is lovely, with frozen waterfalls & giant icicles. Just don't eat in the first restaurant you come to at the bottom (see above) Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You have to have the area pass simply to be able to ski Le Face, at only 33euros foe the week more its worth it just for that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Buy the pass and skip the apres drinks in bars?

Have a great time whatever you decide to do. Very Happy
snow report
Are there any deals on the area passes or are the ski passes 1 price and no deals??
ski holidays
Do they offer a discounted family pass?
ski holidays
maggi wrote:
RachelQ, save money by not having ski lessons at Hemel! You can ski better than just about everyone there anyway! Toofy Grin
But Maggi, it's the odd ski lesson at Hemel that's keeping me sane Madeye-Smiley and how I wish the second sentence were true!

Jo225, we've skied down into Brevieres a couple of times in the past, I remember the frozen waterfalls - lovely! Very Happy

Renry, I've slid down Le Face more than once on my old 190 straight skis. Shocked It might be easier now with little short ones!

There does seem to be a discount for students, and we've got one of those.

So thanks for all your help and suggestions, I think we'll go for the Tignes only, since we've stayed on the ValD side lots and know that part pretty well. It'll give us better reason to explore more of Tignes and ski the runs we like best more often.
latest report
RachelQ,

If you ski in Espace Killy regulalrly check out the Tignes Website. They probably do the Val D'Isere equivalent of a VIP Card, a loyalty card costing EUR10 for 3 years. This gives you a discount when you buy your lift passes. I don't know how the family card works but Val are giving me a loyalty bonus of EUR87 for the 7 weeks I've spent on lift passes in Val in the last 3 years. I also get a 5% discount on my new lift passes.

This year some tour operators are offering big discounts on lift passes for the low/early season weeks, the STGM (Tignes lift company) may be doing the same.
snow conditions
There's a family pass which gives you 50% discount on 4th person. See www.tignes.net/data/fckeditor/file/TPFamilleHiver0910.pdf
ski holidays
welshflyer, thanks, but our many times skiing in the area were many years ago. I've just had a look through my old ski passes (I've kept some of them in a drawer Blush ) and I've found three passes for Espace Killy - 1985, 1988 and 2000. I wonder if they'd give me a loyalty discount if I turned up with those! Laughing

DCG, thank you, I had a look at that pdf, but our sons are 20 and 23 so too old for the family pass, although our youngest is at uni, so we might be able to get the student rate for him.
latest report
RachelQ, we've stayed in Tignes for 3 weeks in the recent past. Knowing your skiing, there is possibly enough to keep you busy but I think you'd miss out on the Fornet valley. On the Tignes web-site are various family lift-pass reductions. Nick
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy