Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les deux Alpes or L'Alpe Duez for New Year?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm gonna regret this as I know its personal choice but we have the choice to book either one of these today and having never been to either I'm not sure which resort to go for. I have been skiing for 15 years (at least once a year) but my wife has only been three times and my sister in law once. The prices are pretty similar for the both and the crappy self catering apts are just as bad as each other. The problem we have is tht due to holiday entitlement and my sis being a teacher this is the only time we can go (its NY or nada) I've convinced them both that we should go and they're up for it but now I have no idea which of the two resorts to book.I'm deffo booking one either tonight or tomorrow so any advice or preference would be appreciated guys. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did Alpe d'Huez last New Year, been before aswell but not at New Year. Never been to L2A so couldn't comment on there. Alpe d'Huez had a fireworks show and a Torchlight ski thing on New Years Eve, which is great for the atmosphere. AdH is not beautiful but there is loads of skiing to be had, we had great conditions last year, it is fab for newbies due to all the central green runs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm leaning more and more towards ADH purely because of the Runs available so thanks Shimmy. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pryle, AdH unless you want to re-enact operation Avalanche (and I don't mean the club).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you go to ADH then try and get an appt close to the bottom of premier troncon (or DMC) or near the bottom of Fontbelle. There is a green run through the town and a little lobster pot lift to take you up if needed but it's a bit of a pain (IMHO) especially for those rushing to make lessons in the morning. Make sure you go over to the Auris/Signal side at least once as the chair-lift is amusing. Possibly not best for people with height-issues however.

Take nut-huggers, budgie smugglers aka speedos for the pool - you WON'T get let in wearing boardies or similar.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pryle, As Swirly, has just alluded to I believe Les Deux Alpes is a bit of a war zone at New Year. I think the locals ( Swirly, was one last season) would agree with that.

I would actually recommend the Les Bergers area at Alpe D'Huez, the SC apartments there are all near enough skin in/out .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to LDA at New Year, it was EXTREMELY busy on the slopes, so I'd probably lean towards Alpe D'Huez. The two resorts aren't too far apart, so if you went to AD, you could always go to LDA for a day. The skiing at LDA isn't anywhere near as extensive as that at AD as far as I remember
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going to ADH for the New Year so I know what I'd recommend. For me what was important was easy access to easy runs and an area where skiers with very different levels could meet easily.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi, went to les deux alpes 3 years ago and hatred the ski area. you get the impression you are skiing on a 30cm ruler, long but narrow ski area. also not much to cover as alltthe runs to and below resort were bare in march!!! one thing to consider, when you buy a 6 day lift pass for either of these 2 resorts, you get to ski at the other resort for one of those 6 days, i would go to alpe dhuez if i were you, lots more skiing and is spread out, rather than in 1 place
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
horizon, New Year again, you lucky so and so. Last year was my first NY trip (actually I did Pamporovo at NY but I don't count that wink ) Enjoy and I hope you get some good conditions like PDS last year. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pryle, Which one did you choose? I'm going to be in L2A (here all the time Very Happy ) and it does get a bit crazy at NY and last year on NYD the slopes were quiet in the morning but full of hungover people who probably shouldn't really have been there in the afternoon. Like people have said, you can always try the other resort for a day. Have a good time!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pryle, seconded for choosing Bergers area. I've been at both ends but Bergers would be my choice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys, just booked the Apartments Les Bergers in the Bergers area (funilly enough) so ADH it is. Cheers for all your advice now lets just pray for some bleeding snow. The missus has already been looking on You Tube at the Tunnel and she's buzzing for it (she's a crazy blader who was doing Blacks in Pas de la Casa on her first day so loves moguls) so all things considered we should be having a rather spiffing New Years. Yaay. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pryle, wise. 2Alpes is nasty at New Year. Full of thieves and borderline violent drunks. Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ADH will be sunny

or sunnier than LDA due to its south facing orientation, but unfortanatlry I have yet to develop a skill to tell whether or not it will actually be sunny in 2 months time.
snow conditions
Use the Force? Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy