Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste courses - recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got any good recommendations for companies offering week-long off-piste courses (somewhere in Europe)?

There's a small group of us interested in taking our off-piste skiing to the 'next level' (shredding pow with skis rather than nose Blush ), probably some time in Jan. One potential issue is that one of our group is a free-heeling hippy, so we've got a preference for instructors/guides who could give him some tips as well as the rest of us on alpine setup.

We've had a quick look at the Telemark Ski Co and Mountain Tracks (both get a couple of brief mentions on here), but it feels like there must be loads of similar companies out there - anyone got any personal experience (of those two or others)?

Or would we be better heading to a big resort and just hiring an instructor for a week...or would that be even more expensive?

All thoughts/advice gratefully received (well, probably depends on the advice, tbh..) snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snoworks and Inspired to Ski both do week off-piste courses, both recommended by many on here. I've no idea whether they can also cater for the free-heeler Madeye-Smiley - you'd have to enquire further.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
see whether www.offpisteskiing.com can do anything for you

i had a great time doing the steep vanoise course with him last year (TR is on here if you do a search for "vanoise") but he covers everything from introductory courses up to the steep stuff
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for offpisteskiing

Another place to look is:
http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/
A good, responsible outfit that will listen to your needs. If you have a big enough group they will put together a custom package.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
UCPA do both introductory and more advanced-level off-piste courses and they seem happy to take/teach tele. We had a crazy Swedish telemarker ripping down the Couloir Rectiligne with us last April.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used http://www.pistetopowder.com in St Anton before. 1-day, weekend or week long courses available and their instructors also lead ski touring gorups so you free-heeling friend should be able to receive plenty of tips
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ChrisWo wrote:
One potential issue is that one of our group is a free-heeling hippy

Oi, I resemble that comment!

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thebongolian, welcome to Snowheads!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi ChrisWo,

I see you mentioned Mountain Tracks in the original post, but I'd be remiss if I didn't try to pimp my brother (who's taking a couple of MT off-piste courses next year)!

http://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/winter/about/bryan

He's much better than me, and I'll be honest and say I've never been off-piste with him, but by all accounts he's a great instructor and is focussing more on this side of things rather than regular teaching.

Sheesh - my first post on Snowheads and it's practically an advert. Embarassed I promise that this won't always be the case...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fireflier, welcome to snowheads! I'm sure you'll be let off the first post plugging your brother if you go on to contribute lots of intersting things to the forum! Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cool, thanks for the pointers all - think I'll be spending this evening checking them out. And had completely forgotten about UCPA - friends have used them in the past and been quite impressed (though I've also got a vague impression that you need to be lucky with instructors!).

Arno, I think I remember that TR (never forget good stoke!)...definitely in the 'aspirational' category at the moment, but after a course or two, who knows Madeye-Smiley So does offpisteskiing.com = snowcrazy?

thebongolian, I knew you'd crack eventually. Does this mean I have to join TGR now?!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
offpisteskiing.com = offpisteskiing who does post round here from time to time

snowcrazy = local snowHead who hangs out in Bourg St Maurice and will show you the goods in that area*

* if you buy him lunch and it's a nice day Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ChrisWo not TGR just TTips...

Thanks for these suggestions and the welcome - likewise some web surfing needed for me tonight
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Altitude Ski and Snowboard School in Verbier offer week long off piste courses, covering everything from technique, safety, psychology, kit and where the best snow is. The cheapest way to book is just to take a private coach for the week. One of the best things about Verbier is the ease of getting off piste. Several of the coaches also telemark. See www.altitude-verbier.com performance pages for more details (I do work for them).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would have thought Warren Smith Academy in Verbier would be good, did me some good when I had a week with them and then later in the season a few private lessons. A good team and good fun.

JP
snow conditions
The WSA isn't strictly an "Off Piste" course. But you do tend to spend a lot of your time there, especially after the first day.
ski holidays
But what he teaches goes along way towards the off piste.

Good to meet you the other day. A good afternoon really.

Will
ski holidays
justapurrin, agreed. Nice to meet you too - I'd forgotten your online name Embarassed
latest report
Or try Alpine Experience at Val d'Isere. They will put you with people of the same standard. The basic language of the company is English (many of the instructors are native English speakers)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy