Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

iPhone - Gloves - How to answer calls?

Poster: A snowHead
This is a bit of a saddo question. Having got my iPhone (Yawn Yawn, I know). Can you answer an I phone with gloves on - an experiment at home suggests not, so my question is whether there is a way to answer an iPhone hands free or with a dongle doo dah that doesn't involve the headphones / mic? Thanks to anyone who feels they can stoop to answering this wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Leave the phone in the chalet!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you have a bluetooth hands-free or something like that (or even the headphones with their switch) you can answer the phone that way, assuming that whatever you have connected is useable with your ski gloves on. None of the buttons on the 'phone will answer it though, as you have found out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RandomSkier, it makes quite a good tracker! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Set it to auto-answer and hope you hear it ring Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Haddock, I wouldn't answer my phone out skiing in any form or shape, gloves or no gloves - that is just asking for "dropped phone out of the chairlift" incidents.... Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mountain Haddock, Don't answer it. Set your voice mail message to say as much, and then listen to messages at the end of the day.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ipone screen needs to be touched by skin for the contacts to be made - there are some clever (but not cheap) gloves that can replicate that effect these looked the best of the bunch:
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/tnf-catalog-master/etip-glove.html?parent_category_rn=
I will not have a boring Iphone for a couple of weeks (till it comes out on Orange) and am seriously considering a pair so I can use the GPS/Tracker apps for piste maps when I am out skiing rather then in a Fridge.

Also there are some nice (well flash) bluetooth helmets if you are a helmet wearer though this Red one which I have not yet seen for sale in the UK is the only one that claims it is compatable with mobile phones.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 2-11-09 14:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't imagine an iphone is worth taking skiing, given their value + being a bit more fragile than your average phone. I really wouldn't want to be messing about with apps on the hill with mine.

Anyway, I answer my bog standard mobile in -20 fernie conditions by... wait for it... taking a glove off then putting it back on again Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting, I may get one as standard issue from work. And I've been known to take calls while skiing, though not often, as I don't like it. "Can't answer the phone due to its touchscreen interface" is a fantastic excuse.

Last year I had an interesting conversation with mrs horizon - she wanted to talk and I needed to catch up with friends so I stuck my phone under my helmet and proceeded to scrape my way down a mogul run...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
have some of this http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/giro-tuneups-wireless/4505-7877_7-32169557.html

Pair with the iphoney, then answer the call by pressing buttons on your ears..can track select (when playing music) and adjust volume too..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
try spitting on your fingers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys (and I'm sure you all are guys) Out with the Bob the Builder phone with the cracked screen and no camera it is then!!

DaveC, gloves off - in January...?

As for not having the phone, its incompatible with being "Daddy" on the slopes, even when the "children" are as old as 65! Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does the iPhone not have an accelerometer triggered answering (ie by giving it a quick waggle) ?
Or is this the next new feature for the 3GS+1 that will make all iPhone users go and buy the next generation model, just like being able to cut+paste made them go buy the 3GS ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountain Haddock wrote:
As for not having the phone, its incompatible with being "Daddy" on the slopes, even when the "children" are as old as 65! Puzzled

Definitely - if the group splits up I always make sure there's at least one 'phone in each group.

The iPhone's pretty tough really - mine's been through a lot and have never had any problems at all. Plus there are some applications which may prove mildly entertaining when skiing, allowing you to measure the angle of the slope you've just conquered (for bragging rights) for example, or even for measuring wind speed should you be kite-skiing! Of rather more use is plain old google maps.
ski holidays
Probably responds to skin so poke it with your nose?
ski holidays
cut and paste was software andy, dont think "shake to answer" (which sounds like a horror show of an idea) exists on it but I'm sure it's available via jailbreaking.

Mountain Haddock, I still have both my hands from taking a glove off for twenty seconds occasionally. January is Fernie's -20 or lower month, so yeah, not as big a deal as it's being made out to be?
snow report
crazy_skier_jules wrote:

Genius idea! That would work!
EDIT: To confirm it does actually work - having just tried it out. Yes, I am that sad ...
ski holidays
mfj197,

But what if I'm wearing a face mask Puzzled
snow conditions
I have to take gloves off to answer any normal phone anyway, as most mobile phones apart from those specifically designed for the visually impaired have small buttons that are useless with gloves on.
snow report
robboj wrote:
mfj197,

But what if I'm wearing a face mask Puzzled

erm - wear one of these on your nose?
snow report
Be careful using tracking/GPS apps on the mountains. Turn off any maps in the programme to avoid massive data charges.

I put mine in my rucksack with the number of rings set short. I can then catch up with calls at lunch or when walking to the bar for some apres.
ski holidays
Mountain Haddock wrote:

DaveC, gloves off - in January...?

Man up and take it. I especially enjoyed taking a call from work last season while schussing a road for about 2 miles, then MMSing them a picture of me skiing, all without stopping. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Take your gloves off.
snow report
mfj197 wrote:
crazy_skier_jules wrote:

Genius idea! That would work!
EDIT: To confirm it does actually work - having just tried it out. Yes, I am that sad ...

That could get messy on a cold day and with a runny nose.... Shocked
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Be careful using tracking/GPS apps on the mountains. Turn off any maps in the programme to avoid massive data charges.

Yup - it can get expensive. Easiest way to prevent charges on the iPhone do this is to disable data roaming in Settings - General - Network.
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, brilliant! A brief trial at the office suggests it works with pointy, bobble and hooky poffs, just not to be too squeamish about snot on the precious iScreen Shocked
snow report
And here's me thinking that this thread was about those geeks at apple having come up with some fancy new gadget where by you could hold your glove to your ear and answer calls !!!!! Txt maybe !!! And even point a finger and it would take a photo !!!!!.
Damn ! Maybe soon then heh !! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bfg wrote:
And here's me thinking that this thread was about those geeks at apple having come up with some fancy new gadget where by you could hold your glove to your ear and answer calls !!!!! Txt maybe !!! And even point a finger and it would take a photo !!!!!.
Damn ! Maybe soon then heh !! Laughing Laughing

It would be called the iGlove, initially only be available in black (or white for the posh one) and would polarise opinion like nothing else. There would be iGlove fanboys, iGlove haters, and Hestra and Black Diamond would come along with their own iGlove Killers. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
mfj197, Laughing
snow report
mfj197,
yep and the iGlove would not perform basic tasks like keep your hands warm or maybe dry..but it would not perform in style ... Toofy Grin
snow report
Given the pathetic battery life at room temperature, taking a call would would be the least of your worries if it was cold enough to need gloves.
snow report
Last season one of our staff was a bit of an apple gadget freak. He bought a watch that could remotely operate his ipod or iphone, not sure which. The idea was to be able to use it when he was boarding, but it turns out he was unable to use it as intended because he could not get it over his sleeve.
Mountain Haddock, please don't bother with the hi-tech, great-when-it-works remote watch apple gadget.
latest report
You could try a
stylus or just hack your gloves.
ski holidays
.Ro, I tried that but when I dialled 999 it ended up as Fyffe Fyffe Fyffe. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
there are so many iphone gloves on the market now, I'll just have to eat my banana.
latest report
Such a snowHead question Laughing
ski holidays
test_freak wrote:
the ipone screen needs to be touched by skin for the contacts to be made - there are some clever (but not cheap) gloves that can replicate that effect these looked the best of the bunch:
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/tnf-catalog-master/etip-glove.html?parent_category_rn=
I will not have a boring Iphone for a couple of weeks (till it comes out on Orange) and am seriously considering a pair so I can use the GPS/Tracker apps for piste maps when I am out skiing rather then in a Fridge.

DO NOT under any circumstances buy these. First hand experience.

Thin, cold, not at all waterproof, and the 'magic material' (some silver cotton) sewed amateurishly onto the index finger of the right hand glove - for that is all that is special about them - gradually unwinds and falls off.

They are absolute, utter, irredeemable, shit. Aimed at ignorant muppets with more money than sense (iPhone owners).
latest report
Um... you could try asking Siri how to answer with gloves. Very Happy
snow report
The best thing you can do, is to cut the end of a finger of a normal glove.

I REPEAT DO NOT buy North Face eTip gloves.

Shit name, shit glove.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy