Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich for the Dolomites??

Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to ski in the Dolomites in early to mid-March. Options from N Ireland arent great but there some reasonable flights to Munich - especially mid-week.

Is flying into Munich, hiring car, and travelling down through Austria to Italy a viable option? Would basic hotel accomm be readily available in the likes of Canazei / Arabba or would booking in advance be essential? Ta.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's about 4 hours drive each way. I drove from Frankfurt and stopped overnight in Innsbruck, which is about half way from Munich to the Dolomites.
Don't forget the Austrian Vignette (about 7€ for the week available at last services before the border, plus toll fees for Brenner pass, and autostrada etc.)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Innsbruck or Verona closer options
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Innsbruck or Verona closer options

..not from Belfast though Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eithnem, The vignettes can be bought at any of the motorway services between Munich and the border - it costs €7.70 for 10 days which is more than enough for the usual one week holiday. You don't actually need one if you drive from Munich airport via Garmisch (A9 then into and through Munich - easy enough mid-week since they banned transit lorries) and then through Innsbruck to the Brenner Toll entrance. Then you only have to pay for the Brenner section (which everyone has to pay) and onwards down through Italy. The alternative s to use the old Brenner Road which is fun except in bad weather!

If you can get to Innsbruck or Verona from N.Ireland it would be better and quicker, but I'm assuming they aren't an option!

The journey can be a bit of a nightmare which ever route you use if you happen to be travelling on an Austrian or Italian holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The journey can be a bit of a nightmare which ever route you use if you happen to be travelling on an Austrian or Italian holiday.

For s5BB last year, the northbound traffic on Italian side of Brenner Pass was at least 13km of standstill. Fortunately I was heading South.
On the return, there were no jams at all. Just a queue of 5-6 cars at the tolls, and one section of hold back to let the snowploughs do their job.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eithnem, A better option would be Bergamo, and I know Ryanair do flights to there from Ireland (Listed as Milan Bergamo). But not from Belfast

Breschia would be even better, but I'm not sure what flights there may be to there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dub to Bergamo is a twice daily flight, so gives u plenty of flight choices, manageable journey to Dolomites.

There may be a (car hire ) supplement if u hire a car in Ger. and bring to Itl ?, Avis and Hertz dont charge such supplements, other car hires may do

If you are hiring a car, may be cheaper to stay in a village/town , say 10k from the ski areas
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eithnem, I reckon it's doable if it's your only option, plenty of Germans do longer road trips than that to get to the Dolomites, the Brenner is kept clear all winter, the journey to Val Gardena probably isn't much further than from Venice.

Val Gardena is the obvious choice if approaching from the Brenner, but well-located accommodation doesn't come cheap.

A cheaper spot for accommodation and quite handy for arrivals from the north is the Badia valley, villages such as Pedraces, La Valle and San Martino, you can then use the car you've paid for to drive to La Villa, Corvara or San Cassiano to pick up the lifts. You can also drive to Cortina and Kronplatz, these are included on the Superski liftpass.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Unlikely you could do Munich to Arabba in 4 hours in the winter
Have done it in the summer in good weather but that was by sitting at the speed limits most of the way and the only hold ups were a few minutes at the tolls
The roads over the passes to Arabba are interesting even in good weather
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eithnem, this German guy did Munich to Ortisei in Val Gardena in 3hr 50min early in the morning back in Jan 2009, then skied all day and drove back to Munich in the evening Shocked

Already flagged this on another thread but check out his report and photos:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30007

So it's definitely possible.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
THanks for the info - actually not that set on doing the journey in one go - this would be my second trip of the season and i like the idea of not doing a standard fly transfer stay ski type trip. Having the car would indeed mean we don't have to stay near lifts and could visit different resorts - still developing the plan - need to convince a few mates to share the car hire (and driving) - and i think it could be a runner.

I see those flights from Dublin but it's at least two hours away by the time you park etc - and that isnt cheap - and I hate the thought of getting off the plane then driving for another two hours - so Belfast - Munich is tempting as I'm only 15mins from the airport. Does anyone know anything about staying overnight in Refuges (Rifugios)?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely shorter from Venice. That is looking like my best bet for Easter from Edinburgh.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eithnem, I can see why you'd want a car, but I've twice (in the summer) done Munich/Brixen (Bressanone) by train. It's an easy- and very beautiful - journey over the Brenner Pass. Maybe hire a car when you get there?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
have done the journey from munich to selva and its an easyish motorway drive. i too have few flight options from cork and use munich a lot.
do NOT do this drive in school hol time as it would be 2 to 3x times the journey ie 8-9hrs. selva is the best base for ski lifts night life etc, also arraba, corvora etc are a further 1+hr min over a very hairy mountain pass.
snow report
Do any TOs fly charters into Innsbruck from Belfast? You can very often pick up a good deal on any unsold seats which would make the journey to Selva / Ortesi a pretty convenient - conditions permitting - hop over the brenner pass.
latest report
It took us way less than 4 hours to get from Munich (which we passed en-route from Calais) to Ortisei when we went last winter, more like less than 3 hours (though that was in the early hours of the morning, got to Ortisei at 8am). Canazei and Arabba are a bit further. Most of it is motorway with just the last bit up the hill from the Bolzano valley on slow roads, Munich to Ortisei is 166 miles.
ski holidays
eithnem, all depends on the times of flights and wheteher you do go midweek or not. Took us 5 hours just to get to Kappl in Austria from Munich this year due the horrendous traffic jams - that was on a Saturday and previous experience of driving from Scotland to Kaprun was similar in Germany into Austria - the roads can get seriously crammed.
snow conditions
Ghost Dog, can you tell me who flies edinburgh to venice at easter.? thanks
snow conditions
Dave McSki. It is Alitalia. I found flights via edreams. BMI also fly. And BA. Noe of them is direct tho. Flights were working out at £650 for 2 adults 2 kids. They have gone up to £285 each. Aaaargh.
ski holidays
Ghost Dog, cheers mate, back to easy jet for me then Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy