Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun in Summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

My partner and I are thinking of driving over to Austria next August to Kaprun.

Has anyone ever been in the summer? They say it's a great resort because of the glacier but we'd like to know what the snow conditions are actually like at this time of the year? We snowboard and wanted to know if anyone else had been.

Also what is the weather like?

Has anyone ever been before?

Thanks
Jodie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice place in the Summer.

But the Kaprun glacier is shrinking. It was temporarily closed this Summer due to a lack of snow.

I would look at Hintertux or Zermatt, as they are in better shape.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jode_123, It's really a game of chance. The best of the Austrian glaciers in summer is definitely Hintertux, but having said that I wouldn't say that Hintertux is good! If you are lucky you might get a dump of snow and it will be worth your while, but more likely you will be faced with (dirty) blue ice in the morning transforming into knee deep slush by the early afternoon. In August the glacier is not really a pretty sight! I think the Alps offer better things to do than skiing at that time of year!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just heard back from someone who we were hoping to hire an apartment from - they've said the same thing which has put a downer on us!

We were only thinking of going in the summer because we're getting married out in Zell am See and thought we'd check the resort out whilst getting some summer boarding in!!

Hintertux - is that near to Kaprun/Zell am See - we're taking the car so wouldn't mind driving.

Thanks guys
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some scary pictures from Kaprun skiing in August here:
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=32816

It is a trip report from German forum
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BUT it did look much better in the middle of July:
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31825

Explore that forum there a more reports from summer skiing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jode_123, as above it's a big risk to focus to much on boarding in the summer. You have picked a great spot to get married and congratulations. Really beautiful in the summer and loads of things to do and going on and you may still get a couple of cheeky mornings boarding.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We skied Kaprun on July 19th this year. Overnight there was a fresh snowfall of about 30 or so cm. We had great skiing for most of the morning , however I found that come early afternoon the temp made the snow really soft and was very hard to ski on. We called it a day at about 1-2 pm
see this post for some pics and a bit more info.
Personally I wouldnt go all that way for a ski hol at that time of year, but if you are in the area anyway then it is worth a bash. Can be pricey though if you have to rent every thing
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53462&view=next
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jode_123, Drove there in the summer 2 years ago mit Kinder - not to ski though. Before we went we thought Kaprun would tick all the boxes - pretty village, good for cycling, glacier if we fancied a ski, golf and tennis etc.
Having spent two weeks there in summer probably wouldn't rush back. I don't know what it is about Kaprun but it just doesn't do it for me. Went up glacier one day for the family fun day - 2 hours to get up and same again back down - folk were literally fainting in the queues - that said it was a special day orgainised by tourist office so would be a lot busier than normal. Having looked at the skiing, it hardly looked worth the hassle to be honest. My neighbour has a pad in Saas Fee and goes every summer and the skiing there sounds a lot better than Kaprun.
We did drive from Kaprum to Mayrhofen one day (via Krimml - absolutely stunning but fairly hairy in places - maybe took 1.5 hours?) and thought Mayrhofen was a much better base than Kaprun. Spent a couple of summer holidays there as a teenager and loved the place. Have not been to Hintertux though.
I would take your golf clubs with you as the course near Kaprun is stunning and in fantastic condition - just need to learn to play golf now
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We spent the first two weeks of August in Kaprun this year. Really enjoyed it, theres heaps to do and things to see. I wouldn't go for the skiing but we did go up to the glacier on one day and there were 3 (short) runs open until early afternoon and the childrens sledding area. It is a bit of haul to get up to the very top (3 seperate gondalas) and back down but fine for a day. The area has many attractions, don't miss the High Alpine Dams, the Krimml Falls, Werfen Castle (Where the movie 'When Eagles Dare' was filmed), a visit to one of the salt mines or a day trip to Salzburg.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys, we're thinking of getting married in January as we want the snowy wedding. We're still heading out in August just so we can see the venue and book the wedding. We'll chuck the boards in the back of the car anyway just in case we're lucky enough, if not we'll go and try some water sports out and have a look around the area.

Thanks guys for your help
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy