Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ticklists - What resorts should you have skied before you're a true skier?

Poster: A snowHead
Where and why? (acceptable substitutes, cavets) Ski used in the generic sense for ski,board , tele, mono, fruitboot etc.

Glencoe (or Cairngorm, Glenshee, Lecht, not acceptable Nevis Range as a johnny come lately)

- keeping it real by some time spent in a grassroots centre of British skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do x amount of road trips make you a "true skier"? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveC wrote:
Why do x amount of road trips make you a "true skier"? Puzzled

Who said roadtrip?

- although acceptable entry you must have done a roadtrip to be a "true" skier

Unfortunately by asking the "true skier" question too early in the thread you may have undermined its purpose as a source of "healthy debate" wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, I've done the maths and it's cheaper to go to Europe. Sorry!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, that makes you a mathematician not a skier Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, indeed this probably beats some very stiff competition to qualify as the daftest question I've ever seen on here. Laughing
latest report
 brian
brian
Arno, no, it means she lives somewhere daft. True skiers live in skiing countries. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

this probably beats some very stiff competition to qualify as the daftest question I've ever seen on here.

have to agree..... there are some extraordinarily competent skiers round here - including ski instructors and pisteurs - who have probably scarcely ever skied anywhere else.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Look do I have to explain how threads like this work? rolling eyes

Everyone trots out a bit of personal bias based on what they like, quasi justifies it, then after a few contenders have been introduced we get into the "oh I can't afford it", or "its too cold", or "how dare you say Chambre 9 has better Scandi totty than the Yucatan/ mutzig is better than jagermeister?" etc

Then we have a discussion on what is a true skier anyway.

So put em up! wink

Some days are just no fun though good to see a sufficiently irritating question to have gained the attention of the weathermesiter.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 29-10-09 15:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, i skied in London last year
don't know whether it was a first descent of Camden Road below the Tesco Metro but it can't have been done often

to that point - you need to have skied a dogsh1t strewn park in your town of residence with small patches of snow between the grass and plastic bags to be a true skier
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

this probably beats some very stiff competition to qualify as the daftest question I've ever seen on here.

have to agree..... there are some extraordinarily competent skiers round here - including ski instructors and pisteurs - who have probably scarcely ever skied anywhere else.

I don't dispute the veracity of either statement but it must a very rare ski instructor or pisteur who doesn'T have at least some curiosity to venture beyond their home turf. How can you experience the variety of skiing if you don't ski different snow types, terrain and even horrible though it is "cultures".
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
brian, i skied in London last year
don't know whether it was a first descent of Camden Road below the Tesco Metro but it can't have been done often

to that point - you need to have skied a dogsh1t strewn park in your town of residence with small patches of snow between the grass and plastic bags to be a true skier

Not quite that basic but I did spend plenty of time here in my yoof!

http://www.skiwentworth.ca/trailmap.asp
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:

Laughing Laughing did you rappel in?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
firebug, no. i scaled it the night before, bivvied in... er... my house, and left before dawn so that the objective dangers weren't too great Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
DaveC, indeed this probably beats some very stiff competition to qualify as the daftest question I've ever seen on here. Laughing

Not only daftest, but also probably snobbiest rolling eyes
snow conditions
One with snow I should think Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
wow - some people need to take life less seriously
snow conditions
Your local park (that's ones with swings and slides - not halfpipes and kickers) has to be on the list.

If you haven't, you're not keeping it real.
ski holidays
fatbob, bah, Scotland. I submit Sinaia in Romania (since all foreigners go to Poiana Brasov). wink

Arno, London, check.
latest report
Mosha Marc, I did the local golfcourse when I was younger - this is elitest on 2 levels, one the golf course despite being a municipal one is obviously a cut above the local park and 2 I obviously had the means to have access to some form of ski equipment as the pro shop did not appear to be offering rentals on the day in question.
latest report
Define True Skier?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ticklists Very Happy

Best laminated Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
True skiers ski in La Rosiere, Serre Chevalier, Chamonix, Grimentz, ....

psst, anyone wanna buy a vest ?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Ticklists Very Happy

Best laminated Very Happy Very Happy

Old references - best laminated

Back to original question how about Roundhay park in Leeds (lift assisted) and Otley Chevin in the same day?
ski holidays
Quote:

Back to original question how about Roundhay park in Leeds (lift assisted) and Otley Chevin in the same day?

It doesn't count if you didn't skin up Roundhay Park.
snow conditions
Hemel Hempstead obviously
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Quicker to skin up Laughing
latest report
I bet you weren't the only one skinning up in Camden just before dawn, Arno Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trossacks!
snow conditions
St A, Chamonix, Verbier, Zermatt and Val D for starters, Laughing Laughing Laughing
l:
snow report
A true skier will have done:

one French mega-resort(and then commented about the bloody tourists)
1 Austrian (and why it so much better value and 'fun' than anywhere else)
1 Swiss ( and been smug)
1 Pyrennean (but doesn't like to talk about it)
1 "well kept secret" European destination (that is hinted at , but not divulged)
1 Scandinavian (for the craic you understand)
1 American (the powder's incredible)
1 Canadian (deeper, steeper, and more heli-ier than anywhere else in the world and... what value!), and
1 Far Eastern trip - " an experience".

Having been couloir skiing is a must. And indeed been a personal friend of the old school guides, " who can tell some stories!".

They will NOT have skied Eastern Europe, but feel well qualified to comment, might have done something southern hemisphere (but it IS essential that a trip is being at least planned to either the Andes or Australasia) and will occasionally admit to having gone to Scotland, just to prove the British Ski Industry is alive and kicking.

The " true skier" will have experimented with boarding, found it interesting but ultimately not worth the bother of switching disciplines.

They will have enjoyed the free and easy hedonism of the 'pre-helmet ' and safety elves era. But now, recognising that those days are gone, insist that everyone else is "properly attired".

They can explain the proper etiquette for the use of a T-bar. And will bemoan the decreasing numbers of drags .

"Of course, when I was learning..." is a stock opening line.

They will explain that it is important to understand why they used to ski in a lime green fartbag, with 206cm skis, and that new technology opens up runs to in-experienced and ultimately dangerous semi-skilled oiks.

They will drink hot toddys, but not vin chaud.

Someone once wanted to make a video of their exploits.

They know how to apply chains, do not need to ask about car hire, find it amusing that the newcomers to their sport worry about exchange rates and "will it snow?".

They do not go to Snow shows - there is nothing they can learn.

They wonder why anyone would go to a fridge to ski.

True skiers do not shack up with chalet girls: energy spent off the slope is wasted.

The true skier is a dying breed.
ski holidays
JimW, very good!

I'd add that a true (British) skier must also have skied their local weed-ridden dry slope in the rain (it's great for your technique don't you know).

They do not buy ski magazines, or read the ski articles in newspaper travel sections, unless to question the impartiality of said articles.
latest report
JimW, Very Happy

A true skier would drive 4 hrs to ski in a fridge Little Angel
latest report
JimW, Laughing very good! And in the spirit of the thread Very Happy .

I'm most gutted that when London had the heavy snow in Feb this year, and I live in a place with the steepest hills in London - I was away Sad Although as I was away skiing I can't really complain snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Well thank God for that. Laughing

I think what you're describing there is what we youngsters call a 'tedious old windbag'. There's a nest of them somewhere in Wimbledon, I believe.
snow report
This is a punter's forum.....no real skiers here Laughing
latest report
JimW, Excellent Very Happy . Now perhaps Lizzard can describe what is the essence of a true resort worker? Something more than a passing through gap year kid? wink
snow conditions
fatbob, no thanks. rolling eyes
latest report
As with cathy (do you live in my area cathy?). I always wanted to ski down Highgate hill down the quiet Holly Lodge road, but never managed it before anyone had tried to clear it. With enough snow on it would be much better than anything on Hampstead Heath (which I have skied several times).
Having said that I'll give the obvious answer of La Grave to set things off.
snow report
JimW wrote:

I hope that won't be necessary Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy