Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor Recommendation For Zell am See/Kaprun/France /Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
For any one going to Zell or Kaprun this season I would strongly recommend this chap. As you will see he runs courses in France and Colorado too.

http://www.lessalmon.com/ski/

Booked him last winter based on the reccomendation of another snowHead and he was a revelation!

Had 3 x 2hrs with him and learned/improved more than in the last 25+ years of skiing on and off!

Would point out that if you like instructors that take your money and tell you what you want to hear then Les is not your man!

For the benefit of the the sceptical I am not he nor do I have any financial interest.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is he allowed to have his own little one man ski school? arent there rules against not being registered to a school?

If not, Hi my names Matt, i am a ski school, I charge half what the other local schools do and I am 2 and a bit times as good, (thats an improvement of 5 times on the others) come to me.

p.s. and I am not named after a fish
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara, not sure about Austria but you can work as an independent instructor in France if you are fully qualified to ISTD level.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks more like weekend courses for getting people off the intermediate plateau than full-time resident ski instructor.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dulcamara, Well if anyone actually recommends you I might well do! Very Happy

.............you must be good, after all it can't be easy to be good enough to instruct with a great big chip on your shoulder wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just looked around, I think (in austria) you can instruct as long as you travel there and back with the client. So I'm changing my school, we travel with you and carry your bags and organise stuff, but we cost a bit more. still no takers? rubbish...

p.s. BASI's biggest issue is getting everyone to respect them, they go to great lengths to achieve this. Yet their top level is still the I've Sexually Transmitted Disease? play the game guys
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
robboj, ask my mum, she says i'm great Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Last season he was working with the Ski School through the week, private lessons only, no groups. Not sure about this season yet. I will email him and ask?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We used Les in Zell a couple of years ago for a series of private lessons for various people in our group and had an amazingly positive experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone, - in fact I already have on many occasions. Compared to some of the indifferent instruction we have had over the years, this guy was a revelation and aside from the actual improvements we made (which were vast), he also made us all enjoy our skiing a lot more. He's really good at cutting through the cr@p and getting to the route of individual problems. I know this sounds like it should be a given, but unfortunately in my experience it isn't!

It's hard sometimes (particularly in Austria where there are generally fewer snowHead recommendations) to find the right ski school/instructor for what you need, so I for one would always be glad with a personal recommendation rather than just a random search of ski school websites.

Anyway, wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guy if you're looking for instruction in Zell this year.

D
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dulcamara, Please let us know if and when you have anything relevant to say Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robboj, How much does this guy charge?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dk100, We used him twice in ski school time which was the standard €120 for two of us for 2 hours, IIRC he was cheaper at €100 in his own time. I gave him a healthy tip on each occasion. I'm no expert on tuition fees but it was very good value for money compared to any other instruction I've ever had.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
robboj, So what was the one thing (if you had to pick just one) that he said that made you a better skier?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Difficult, as last season was a comeback from injury and there was much to be fixed but if I had to name one thing he taught me that made a big difference it would be ankle flexion.

I suppose overall he totally uncomplicates things, no tea trays, teapot stances or holding poles at silly angles etc where in the past with many instructors I've been trying to do so many things at once I forgot to actually ski Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robboj, Interesting, direction through your ankles rather than the knees you mean? ! I struggle with ankle flex especially my right ankle due to a sports injury operation. The joint is just stiffer than the left ankle and I think that this probably puts extra pressure on my knee. I am at a loss really how to improve the flex...
latest report
Thats an intruiging issue dk100, something I would be interested to see discussed further....

My initial suggestion would be to tighten your boots around your ankles in order to minimise the ammount of movement required to control the ski, also leaning the upper section of your boots would allow you to get more forward pressure without having to pull your toes right up, (is this a big issue for you at the moment). Needless to say these changes would need to be done in moderation and by someone who knows their stuff.

ok robboj, ok its not relevant to the salmon guy but i'm trying.... wink
snow report
dk100, In a way yes and as dulcamara, says it is about more control with less movement. He identified that it was too far back mainly as I was bending my knees into a sitting position but not leaning into the boot enough. So he made me ski with my top clips undone and my ankle clip tighter and then as I got used to it refastened the leg clips but less tight than before with the top only tight enough to stop it opening. This gave me much more control of the front of the ski and my carving improved no end! Very Happy

There are threads on here for ankle and lower leg streching excercises. The ones I have been given are to do squats with my feet at (or as close as i can get to) 90 degrees out, straight and then about 45 degrees pointing in the way thus stretching the calf muscles and tendons from all angles. It also helps to do this on a power plate - if you have access to one?
snow report
robboj, Hi, do you know if this instructor you have recommended is teaching in Kaprun in Feb 2010 ?
ski holidays
debbiejess wrote:
robboj, Hi, do you know if this instructor you have recommended is teaching in Kaprun in Feb 2010 ?

I emailed Les earlier in the season and he confirmed he was teaching at Zell am Zee nr Kaprun.
ski holidays
debbiejess, if you are interested in contacting Les I can pm you his mobile number.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I have not heard that Les is ISTD - he worked for a long time in Park City, and also in Aviemore. AFAIK he's a Grade 2(Level 3?)
snow conditions
Deliaskis,
Hi am off to Kaprun on Sat - can you let me have Les' details please
ski holidays
debbiejess, sev112, I've been out in Zell am See for the last two weeks and have spent some time with him, instruction first class as always. if you don't already have his details let me know.

I've never asked Les about his qualifications as it is his ability to teach that makes his instruction invaluable to me. I used to get down slopes, now I ski down them! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy