Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Cenis end of December? Or other recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Infrequent poster so hello to everyone... My partner and I are planning on going away 26th/27th December for the week and everywhere is expensive (as it would be at that time), we're considering Val Cenis but will the snow be any good? There are some reasonable half board deals for around £800 for the week there.

Other places we're looking at like Kaprun, St Anton, Val Thorens, Obergurgl... all seem pretty expensive, although maybe if we wait then we might pick up a deal...

We'd like to go half board for around £800 I think for a week, any other suggestions as to how to do it or whether we could go somewhere self catered and do it that way within budget? I'm still on blue runs and my partner does reds comfortably and the odd black but he's not bothered about it being massively challenging. I'll have lessons and my partner may well do to give him something to do while I'm occupied but more important for me. Other than that we're not fussy about what's on offer apres ski wise, we just love the mountain scenery and being able to eat well enough at the end of it! Smile

Another thought we had might be to hire a car and stay self catered somewhere in France that's not on the main resort.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton, Val Thorens and Obergurgl are all pretty expensive resorts compared to others in Austria and France. It's anybody's guess what the snow will be like at New Year but accommodation is certainly at a premium - I don't think it would be wise to wait. Self catering accommodation is also pretty full then - certainly everything nice in our area is already booked. But Val Cenis (never been) sounds a good bet if you have no choice but to ski at New Year.

If you want ski school would probably be a good idea to book that to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Pam, thanks for that! Glad you think Val Cenis would be a good bet, it looked to my (novice) eye like there were a number of blues higher up and the snow is meant to be good but even so I didn't know whether it was high enough. I think though that it's possibly to supplement the Val Cenis area ski pass to step over to Val Thorens which I guess would be more reliable in the event of poor snow although I don't know how easy/close it is in reality. Puzzled I will take your advice about ski school and booking asap, thanks. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NSB1977, I've sent you a PM Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much, I have replied.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about Les Deux Alpes...? Puzzled Managed to find a deal there too....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NSB1977, snow in Deux-Alpes will be fine, they have a glacier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great stuff, thanks Helen. Hopefully we're getting a bit closer to narrowing it down now!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NSB1977,
'Is it high enough' is not really the right question early in the season High resorts can sufer badly at the beginning of the season becuase there has not been enough snow in their area where lower resorts elsewhere are rolling in it.

Val Cenis is an attractive inexpensive (by skiing standards) area that should suit your needs. How good the snow will be is never sure but they do have a decent amount of snow making on the lower pistes.

I don't think that Val Thorens will be the greatest bail out in December the top can be very cold. If there is only good snow high up Bonneval is much closer and almost as high, cheaper and prettier too.

Don't know what the situation is for self catering for two but the local Maurienne valley web site is quite good for finding local accommodation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks T bar Smile Apologies for being a thickie newbie Embarassed

I think we would prefer to go half board thinking about it some more, which obviously limits our options. Package holidays in all likelihood. As we're on a budget we then know what costs are involved more readily, plus as I have a medical condition I tend to feel exhausted by the end of a day's skiing so quite like to just be able to go "home" and be fed and watered without much effort! Thanks for the tip off about Val Thorens, I also have raynaud's so very cold puts me off!

So Val Cenis better than the Deux Alpes yes?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NSB1977, Having been to both at Xmas time, my preference would be Val Cenis. snowHead Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Avago wrote:
NSB1977, Having been to both at Xmas time, my preference would be Val Cenis. snowHead Smile

Well now that's just being greedy Laughing Lucky girl. Thanks very much! (again!)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think Val Cenis sounds better for your needs - getting back down to town in LDA can be a bit of a mission sometimes, if you just want to go home and crash. It's also likely to be a fair bit busier at New Year with lots of people who don't ski as well as they think. If VC has more French skiers, and loads of families, on-piste behaviour will probably be much better.

if anyone does a catered chalet in VC we always found them ideal - because they provide tea and cake etc at tea-time, after skiing, which keeps you going till supper. Also you can take your own duty frees and it's often more homely and sociable than a hotel.

T Bar, I've long liked the sound of Bonneval - maybe we'll try to get up there for a day this coming season. Special offer adult one day lift pass 15 euros in January. snowHead We'll go on a warm day, with skiing up to 3000m.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NSB1977, Not greedy, just rewards for my hard work throughout the year wink Laughing Can't imagine having Christmas at home now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avago wrote:
NSB1977, Not greedy, just rewards for my hard work throughout the year wink Laughing Can't imagine having Christmas at home now!

Sorry chick, was only teasing Embarassed Laughing This will be our 4th foreign holiday this year Embarassed with the hard work to match so I know where you're coming from!! Although when I'm close to tears trying to bend my unfit legs into funny positions for hours a day being shouted at I may change my mind Laughing It's all worth it for the scenery and the buzz though!

Hopefully booking it tonight Very Happy
latest report
NSB1977, If Raynauds is a problem in the cold I would take Val Cenis over L2A or Val Thorens as there is tree lined protection, my only concern is that if it is a cold winter Val C is very much a north facing resort which keeps the snow good but probably gets rather less sun. I have only been in April where this is not a problem.

pam w,
Quote:

T Bar, I've long liked the sound of Bonneval - maybe we'll try to get up there for a day this coming season. Special offer adult one day lift pass 15 euros in January. We'll go on a warm day, with skiing up to 3000m.

It is very pleasant but I would make sure its a warm day. There are no covered lifts and the only detachable chair is the first one also north facing head of the valley could be cold. I have been in April where this has been a huge advantage and the snow excellent.
ski holidays
NSB1977, Snow conditions in VC are usually good at the start of the season, with plenty of artificial on the lower slopes. However be prepared for the cold, the valley is sheltered, but gets very little sun in Dec,Jan, so temp's stay very low during the day, and if it's windy it can be hard work.
snow conditions
Hi there,

Thanks everyone for all your help. OH was really sold on les 2 alpes and thought there'd be more for him there, and we managed to get a great deal too. So we booked it today snowHead Next year for VC then! Laughing Thanks again!
ski holidays
NSB1977, have a great holiday. If you'd like some excellent lessons, get in touch with charlotte swift (easiski.com) though she'll probably be very busy at Christmas.
ski holidays
NSB1977,
Have a great time, plenty of good skiing there.

Good advice from pam w, even if Charlotte is busy she will probably be happy to give good advice on which alternatives to use.
snow conditions
Normally the 4th week of December would be just about OK, but it is a bit chancy:
Upper/lower slopes in cm for that week

2009: 230/56
2008: 120/35
2007: 60/30
2006: 40/20
2005: 91/41
2004: 116/29
2003: 105/15
2002: 37/27
2001: 100/20

This is, of course, un-compacted snow. Remember that the resort probably put the measuring points at fairly sheltered spots so this may be a bit better than the average piste (not counting artificial snow-making).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 29-10-09 9:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I see you've just booked elsewhere - but for the record we were in Val Cenis for the first week after new year last season (Jan 2009) and there was no problem with snow, god cover all the way down to the village, all runs open, lots of snow making. We self-catered in really nice (and cheap) apartments at the foot of the slope. www.dhm73.com

It is a very very quiet resort at night but was great for our group of total beginners and low intermediates on a budget. Not much english spoken in the ESF classes though!
snow report
wigan, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Early last season was a stonking time for snow - best in many years. You couldn't always depend on its being like that! It sounds a nice place.
ski holidays
NSB1977, Hi, I'd be interested to know how much you paid for your trip - if you don't mind sharing the info - as I really wanted to go to LDA this season. Having been in the summer I wanted to see what it was like, and I wanted to take advantage of Charlotte's instructing skills....but it just proved too expensive.
I've ended up booking La Norma, just down the road from Val Cenis.
wigan, Welcome to snowHead! I was booked to go there the same week, but had to cancel due to illness Crying or Very sad I was looking at the webcams every day and seeing just what I was missing - it looked fantastic! Glad you had a good time.
snow report
I am sorry, I notice I somehow got two of the figures above wrong (I've changed them) - one being the very low figure and the other last year. Not sure how it happened (though they are all on separate charts. of course) - the rest are right.
wigan was right, last year was especially good - about twice normal.
snow report
Thanks all snowHead

OH booked all the lessons, equipment hire and (full) passes in a block at the same time as booking the holiday so I won't be meeting Charlotte Sad Which I feel sad/bad about as she sent me a lovely helpful PM, but I think OH felt it was cheaper to book it all as a block (and he's paying LOL). Hopefully the ski school will be okay, not sure which one it is. I will buy you a pint Charlotte if I can find you Laughing

The holiday we got through teletext I think, with the baggage allowance, flight meals and transfers that they add onto the price of the holiday (hidden costs, don't you hate that) it worked out as around £800 half board at the Hotel Aalborg which Charlotte says is newly refurbished and close to the slopes. It is ranked 1st out of the 43 hotels on Trip Advisor so it sounds fairly decent.

Still an arm and a leg obviously being Christmas/New Year but a damn sight cheaper than most of the deals we have been looking at over the past few days to France, most of which weren't much off that self catered or in places that have poor reviews, so I think it was an okay deal. Puzzled

Keep everything crossed for a good load of snow for us...

Anyone going to be there around this time?
latest report
Val Cenis is nice and very unspoilt you will not queue or see many English people there.The skiing is very limited I wouldnt say we were whizzy I am nervous and slow but we covered the whole resort in a morning .The other options you mention would give you lots more choice of runs.
CLAIRE
ski holidays
clairec, Welcome to snowHead , with 125km of runs (shared with termignon) I would say you are very whizzy to cover it in a morning. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clairec, You must be more than whizzy to cover the whole resort in a morning!! Shocked We had private lessons with no stops (moving fairly quickly without being dangerous) and didn't take in even half the resort in a morning! 125km is quite a lot of skiing rolling eyes Maybe I'm a nervous skier and just don't know it!!

Charlotte definately gets another vote from me wink
ski holidays
T Bar, Snap wink
latest report
Sorry didnt do the linked runs and did really like Val Cenis I didnt mean to be misleading.I do hang onto the coat tails of my hubby and two teenage children so we dont mess about and I get told ski lifts are for rests !!!!They are very mean
snow report
clairec, Don't worry and welcome to snowHead, glad you enjoyed Val C, it is not a large resort but I do think calling it very limited is misleading. Overall it covers a decent area there is some very enjoyable off piste and the piste is decently varied even if there is nothing hugely challenging in normal conditions.
latest report
clairec, Welcome to snowHead

I'm glad you enjoyed Val Cenis. We have been twice and definately plan to go back. We are trying a couple of new places for our planned trips this year, but hope to squeeze a cheeky last-minute to VC in March if we can Very Happy wink
snow report
T Bar wrote:
there is nothing hugely challenging in normal conditions.
That's on piste. However, as I've said before, there is lots of off piste, some of it very challenging. For example the above (top left) known as the Rock Garden, which is easily accessed from the Val Cenis lifts (unfortunate a large part of the slope is off the picture and I don't think it should be done without a guide since you are negotiating steep bits of snow between drop-offs)
latest report
snowball,
Sorry, should have been clearer, I meant on the piste. Off piste there is certainly stuff well outwith my capabiliites.
latest report
Have a look at Val Cenis snow record over the past 9 years. http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.1849
It is pretty reliable because all the slopes are North-facing. To be honest it is before 15/12 that one has to be more careful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy