Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freestyle-namely backflips

Poster: A snowHead
This is a very odd post I realise, but I have been wondering about learning to do a back flip on skis (off a jump). I can back flip/back somersault well on dry land as a result of years of gymnastics, and someone mentioned how it would be easy to try on skis.

How would I go about learning this? I don't fancy just throwing myself backwards off a jump, but I am going out for a full season (Dec-May) so it might be a good goal to experiment with. Can you get back flipping lessons?!

Anyone any experience?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd recommend going to one of the domes on a freestyle night, they often get the air bags set-up every now and again, well they do at Chill Factore, that way you can try what you like and if you don't perfect it, you won't break your neck. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
verbier (and so I presume other resorts?) has a permanent air-bag in the park to try things out on. great fun as long as you actually hit it......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
verbier (and so I presume other resorts?) has a permanent air-bag in the park to try things out on. great fun as long as you actually hit it......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lots of snow, same speed as for a normal air, balls, a snowboard.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
swisssnowbunny, if you have access to one, why don't you could try it out on a trampoline like some pro's do during the summer? atleast, that's what i think some professional snowboarders do. just put some duct tape on the edges of your skis and give it a go? but pls wear your helmet - don't wanna be blamed for any scorpion action... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swisssnowbunny, definitely get a lesson!! Guy I know broke his back doing a backflip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
swisssnowbunny, It's possible to practice on ramps into pools (i.e Tignes into Summer) Sheffield used to have a ramp/pool but I think it's closed now.

Get in touch with these guys who will know more:

http://www.freestylesnowsports.co.uk/british/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Allegedly one of the easiest inverted tricks. The nice thing about the back flip is once you start the initiation, unless you stall in the first quarter of the rotation, a bad landing isn't *that*bad. The most important part, as with any freestyle trick is spotting the landing. As you go over the top just keep searching for the horizon and your own reflexes should kick in to make sure you get your skis back underneath you.

Fall Line magazine had a photo technique on it a few years ago with Mike Wakefield (I think) flipping his meat. Have a search.

I used to throw back and front flips on a snowboard because they look impressive but are actually very easy to commit to as you're body is effectively only doing a barrel roll. I can't see myself even trying on skis, but I don't like to say never, I just need a tonne of soft snow... (and a massage booked for later).

I have a friend who loves throwing little back flips on his skis, he just picks cat track style kicker / drops with a nice bit of vert and a soft landing. Tucks in real tight.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are some threads where you just know you will never be able to post a salient comment Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Liam, gilo, good call on the airbags. I have used one before in Davos and found it a lot of fun (even after I managed to miss the bloody thing and fall down the gap). Does anyone know if they have one in Zermatt? I am assuming they will, but I've never actually seen one?

parlor, yes, I keep hearing its the easiest trick to try...which is why I am willing to give it a go. I am ok flipping/somersaulting on dry land, but something about doing it at speed scares me a little bit. Think I need a BIG powder dump first!!

david@mediacopy, thanks for the link, will check that out!

Thanks for the help guys, will let you know if I actually pull it off (and try and get some videos of me trying for the amusement value!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was one in zermatt this year, i think it was over from trockner steg, down from the park on the left, there is an old building that's been taken over by the guys running it, it wasn't too hard to spot when it was up anyway, was so much snow it kept getting buried and i think the guys were away playing in it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Backflips are good fun to try, and as long as you commit to it they don't tend to be too painful if you get it wrong... the best tip I can give you is to make sure that you actually jump before initiating rotation (i.e don't just lean right back on the jump!). Here's a video me and a couple of friends made of how to get it wrong... the snow was fairly soft (about 5 days of warm weather after ~30cms of snow) and it didn't hurt too badly.

http://bathsnowsports.net/pages/freestyle/Videos
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ArseCaptain Ouchie.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tried a few myself on a windlip unsuccessfully. Make sure you are going fast enough not to hit your head on the lip when you rotate! I give myself whiplash after not noticing that the snow had got slower. I won't be trying them again in a hurry unless on a airbag. After watching someone learn front flips with ease I'm inclined to think that they are a bit easier.
latest report
A coupla days on an airbag should do it.

Speed and confidence are the main factors.

Go fast to get height. This gives plenty of time to make the rotation.
snow report
ArseCaptain, good video. Laughing
ski holidays
Most people I know that can do 'good' back flips spent lots of time training on the trampoline.
Then going down to sheffield to use the water ramps. Before finally taking them onto the snow.

In freestyle / mogul skiing the backflip is scored technically less difficult than a 540 or 720.
However think I am getting to old and ghey for trying upside down flippy stuff !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy