Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

something like Ischgl but cheaper.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
On the hunt for recommendations of a new (to me) resort that will fulfill the following:
be in Austria
good apres ski for a couple of young to middling fellas...mayrhofen is the usual destination but fancy a change.
Some tree lined runs for cover and because I prefer them
reasonable transfer (<2 hours)
reasonable living costs passes and ski hire (hoping for half board)
Plenty of blues and easy reds for my bro who has skied 4 days total.

Was thinking of Ischgl but is just toooo expensive when you compare it with other resorts so I am thinking of Saalbach at the moment but would appreciate any suggestions. Prefer not to do:

Ziller valley (done it to death and fancy a change)
Obergurgl (too quiet and didn't really like it)
Lermoos (much too quiet!)
France.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ollski, was just about to suggest Saalbach before you mentioned it!

We went to Hinterglemm in February this year; got a taxi into Saalbach for a couple of nights. It's a good ski area, and perfect for what you're looking for. Apres ski is very good, and I thought the town was very nice. The Goulash we got in Peter's cafe was sublime.

If you find that Saalbach's not for you, maybe have a look at Soelden? I would put the ski area of Saalbach/Hinterglemm above it, but enjoyed Soelden more for the apres ski side of things.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ollski wrote:
On the hunt for recommendations of a new (to me) resort that will fulfill the following:
be in Austria
good apres ski for a couple of young to middling fellas...mayrhofen is the usual destination but fancy a change.
Some tree lined runs for cover and because I prefer them
reasonable transfer (<2 hours)
reasonable living costs passes and ski hire (hoping for half board)
Plenty of blues and easy reds for my bro who has skied 4 days total.

Was thinking of Ischgl but is just toooo expensive when you compare it with other resorts so I am thinking of Saalbach at the moment but would appreciate any suggestions. Prefer not to do:

Read your first paragraph and thought - Saalbach-Hinterglemm.

Great apres - Goatstall and London Pub in Hinterglemm. The Inferno in Saalbach. Plus numerous huts on the mountain.

Most of S-H is below the treeline, so if you like tree lined runs you'll love it.

Quick transfer from Salzburg.

Beers were reasonable last year. Saalbach isn't that cheap though for accommodation (it's not far off Ischgl prices at times), so perhaps look to stay in Hinterglemm.

S-H is a bluey-red paradise. You can't go wrong.

I was going to go to Schladming last year, but my son took ill 2 days before we were due to go. I'd have a look at there as well as it might well fit the bill.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dav wrote:

If you find that Saalbach's not for you, maybe have a look at Soelden?

Great nightlife and good area but there aren't many trees aside from the runs back to base. Although the runs up on the glaciers are ideal for people starting out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys sounds like I'm thinking along the right lines. Driven through Soelden on the way to Obergurgl and not ever been too impressed to consider it although I appreciate it hard to get much of a decision on a drive through the main road.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for Saalbach from me. Good ski area and lively in the evenings. Fits your requirement of 'like Ischgl but cheaper' quite well. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another S-H vote from me, fits your requirements nicely and I understand the Leogang skiing is open already! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Or you could get Ischgl at lower prices by staying at Kappl or Galtuer? That's what we're doing, I think - check out other thread on this if you're interested.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56135
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach for the win. We've been there the last three January's, 6 of us the 1st year, 12 the second and 18 last year. Our group was total beginners to drunken biff's that can ski anything Wink

Nightlife is fantastic as said, the prementioned Goatstall and London Pub in Hinterglemm, Bauers and the mountain huts in Saalbach. There's also an English type pub called Bobby's which is ideal for watching footy/rugby etc.

Only reason we're not going this coming Jan is down to cash, but will be back there in 2011.

You should be able to find some Saalbach pics in the link to my photo's in my sig
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This has been doing the rounds on TGR and may be of use:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171532
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy