Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendations for a non-skiing pregnant skier...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am 16 weeks pregnant Very Happy which means that our usual ski trip (usually in January to allow for a sneaky long weekend in March or April) is not going to involve any skiing for me. Obviously we could just not go, but actually I quite fancy a week in the snow. The party will comprise me, my OH and my skiing buddy Kate, and possibly another friend or two. I'm not going to be on my own all day every day - skiing buddy Kate is quite looking forward to the idea of enjoying the hot chocolates rather than the scary black pistes for a change and my OH will no doubt be "persuaded" to swap in for some of the time.

But - it would be good to find a resort which:

1. Is pleasant to mooch about in during the day, with some nice coffee shops etc

2. Has some other distractions eg nice hotel spa, pool etc

3. Has some non-skiing activities eg marked trails for snow shoeing or just walking.

4. Has some nice mountain cafes/restaurants with pedestrian access to allow for meeting up with skiing friends during the day

5. Probably not too high at resort level

Am tempted to add that it should have some quiet easy slopes preferably at resort level with free lifts (eg nursery slopes) in case I get itchy feet, but at 27-30 weeks if we went in January, it probably isn't a brilliant idea...

We'd usually go for self-catering accommodation and that would probably work well for this trip too (as long as I don't get stuck with too much of the washing-up).

Any bright ideas very much appreciated.

Natalie
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NatalieG, congratulations!

6. Somewhere flat - you don't want to be worrying about where you are putting your feet when it is difficult to see them...

Zell am See would be my immediate recommendation - nice city on a lake, swimming pool and spa complex in the centre, good hotels and pensions in the centre, and easy access from Salzburg by car, train or bus. The city lift runs from pretty close to the centre of town, and several of the mountain huts are accessible from the lifts without skiing. Walking is catered for around (or across!) the lake, or snowshoeing should be possible somewhere in the area although that's not something I've ever looked into. Day tripping to Salzburg is also worth a go.

For the skiers, the local slopes are good, while Kaprun's glacier is a 15 minute free bus ride away. For those wanting more, Saalbach/Hinterglemm is in the next valley, about 25 minutes away by car.

At 27-30 weeks, itchy feet are best put up on a stool and massaged by the OH... Also check your travel insurance - you will need to tell them that you are pregnant, and will also need to check how their cover is affected, as some won't cover travel after 32 weeks, while for others it can be lower.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NatalieG, Wengen ticks most of the boxes with the further plus that you could use the mountain trains to meet your OH for lunch on the mountain. And you could pop off to Interlaken , Thun and Berne on the train to do shopping etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NatalieG, Monetier-les-Bains in Serre Chevalier has a beautiful new thermal spa, and some nice yummy treatments for mums-to-be. Easy to join others for lunch, skibus runs along the valley into Briancon, and you can jump onto a cablecar, chairlift or gondola to reach various points on the mountain. Snow shoeing trails and walks too. Being in the valley, it is relatively flat for walking with only a fairly gentle climb from the slopes into the village. And of course there is Briancon, the walled town is quite steep though, but there are plenty of Italian coffee shops or ice cream parlours.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ousekjarr,
Quote:

6. Somewhere flat - you don't want to be worrying about where you are putting your feet when it is difficult to see them...

Good point, will add that to the list! Will also make sure to check my travel insurance.

Thanks for all suggestions so far. Helen Beaumont, I was wondering about Monetier. We had a great trip to Chantemerle last year and although we didn't visit Monetier other than a quick ski down to the lift and back up, I know it is supposed to be pretty (have been checking out the availability of your apartment actually!). My only concern is extra jealousy about the skiing when I know how good it is!

Wengen would go down well with ski buddy Kate who is a regular summer/autumn visitor to Grindelwald and a big fan of Switzerland in general, and Zell am See sounds lovely too, although I think I might prefer somewhere a bit smaller. I actually went there on a school orchestra trip when I was about 16, that takes me back a bit....

I was also wondering about the Dolomites. I just saw a link to this site on another thread:

http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/winter_dolomites_pedraces_arabba_italy.html

Does anyone know whether Pedraces would fit the bill?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NatalieG, I dont think that Pedraces would fit the bill. If you are keen on the Dolomites then Corvara or Selva would be better
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wengen is perfect for groups with a mix of skiers and non-skiers. Easy to meet up with skiers for lunch almost anywhere they go on the mountain, and you can explore Grindelwald, Wengen and Murren easily.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
would agree with beanie1, wengen murren lauterbrunnen or grindewald can acess nearly everywhere without sking we took 9 month old baby there and had a very good holiday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at Seefeld, I have been several times it wonderful. One year I could'nt ski as I had broken ribs but still found loads to do and had a lovely time. There are some lovely free nursery slopes (just in case), plus you can still access the top of the mountains as serviced by funicular train.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all, will check out Seefeld and possibly Corvara or Selva. Three votes for Wengen - Kate is going to be very excited as she would love to go there. She said that she checked out whether the marked walking trails around Grindelwald are open in the winter and they are, so that could be good depending on how energetic I'm feeling. Plus would be able to indulge my odd liking for Rivella (and less odd liking for rosti and fondu - reckon that's definitely the sort of cheese you can eat, the alcohol must kill the germs - oh...).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kitzbuhel, Zermatt, Megeve or Morzine would also fit the bill. All have decent, pretty towns and you can get to various parts of the slopes by bubble or train.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy