Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Audi A6 Headlight Deflectors and Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I just wondered if anybody here has used an Audi A6 in France. I am thinking of buying one (new shape, 2005 0n) but want to confirm that the headlights can be used with beam deflectors. I understand that Audi can reposition the lamps via a computer based system and that they charge a hefty fee for the pleasure. Or do you just use some tape over the lens?.

Also, have you used or considered snow chains?. I was wondering if they can be fitted to existing wheel configurations (of which there are a few), or have you purchased a (recommended?) wheel/tyre combination for specific use with chains?. We have planned 3 trips this year so are bound to get caught in a dump or two.

Regards

Bas
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil,
Quote:

have you purchased a (recommended?) wheel/tyre combination for specific use with chains?.

I always worked on the assumption that, if there were wheels that size, there were chains to fit. The week after I got my hands on my current car, imagine my horror when I was told 'no chains available for that size'. Specially as half the reason for the choice of car was the comfort and economy of the first 600 miles - no good if I couldn't do the last 25. Apparently it was a new combination and nobody did chains for it (yet). A very helpful and knowledgeable local retailer identified a set that would fit, but it was a wobbly moment. So it might be worth just checking before you sign on the dotted line. Here's the website of a very helpful and knowledgeable.....

DJ
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had the previous shape A6, and the headlamp adjustment was supposedly a trip back to the Audi garage for ~£60. However a local garage where I get most of my servicing done showed me what the dealership did, and it is just a little metal lever inside the headlamp housing that you slid up and down. to mask different sides of the beam. for the nearside it is very straightforward, but the offside needs the dismantling of some of the intake ducting using a phillips screwdriver - simple once you have done it once. I now have a Passat (as some idiot T-Boned the A6)and it is almost identical I usually do it on the ferry terminal - it takes about 10 min's.

Don't know about the latest version. - if it is computer controlled, it probably does not need to be attached to a computer, but rather will be a sequence of inputs using the standard car controls (as per service interval reset). A friendly independent garage will have a book with this information in it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought Audi & VW were a switch or lever on the headlamp, but Seat were a trip to the stealers. Probably a setting within the MMI if it's a posh model. But I may be wrong. Maybe an Audi/VW/Seat forum might be helpful?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have an A6 with 19" wheels and 255/35 tyres, all sitting on the lowered S Line sports suspension.

Audi assure me you can fit chains and THIS COMPANY seem to have them in stock.

The head light adjust is either a trip to the dealers and they charge about £35, or blank the flare of the pattern with a tiny bit black tape, or take the car to an Indy who will charge a fiver.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 26-10-09 15:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My brother in Law got a set of steel wheels to use for trips as show chains would not fit on the alloys iirc..3.0tdi model (no idea if the alloys were standard spec or not though)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf wrote:
My brother in Law got a set of steel wheels to use for trips as show chains would not fit on the alloys iirc..3.0tdi model (no idea if the alloys were standard spec or not though)

That would also mean you could get a set of snow tyres as well ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The light adjustment is electronic, but its not on the MMI unless the car is 2009. I have the highest spec MMI on a 2006 and its not in the options list.

Personally, I would use 50p worth of black tape.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm a friend just mailed me this...

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for your replies. Pretty much got it all answered there. Suspected that chains could be purchased to fit just was not sure about them fitting around the wheels and interfering with the brake calipers and/or the wheel arches. I currently have a volvo V40 with 205 55 15 tyres but Volvo recommend a narrower tyre fitting for this reason, however I did not find this out until I had bought the chains, luckily they fit and work fine.

bar shaker, Good friend you have there, very handy advice. Suppose that must be an extract from the workshop manual, or is it from the user manual. Is it an A6?.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's looking for an A6 but lives on the web so found it somewhere.

The pic is an A6.

Looks like a simple fix and saves driving in the UK with them the wrong way. I did 3500 in France in my Porsche with them on UK settings and didn't get flashed once so wonder if its worth bothering.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok i couldn't be bothered to read all that so sorry if its been said but my dad has an A6. There's some way of adjusting the angle of the bulb or something. Either way, he doesn't use deflectors and doesn't give lots of money to audi everytime he does it. I doubt he would have attempted it without knowing it could be done so i'd assume it told you in a manual of some sort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
el nombre wrote:
Ok i couldn't be bothered to read all that

el nombre wrote:
sorry

Apology accepted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy