Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend in Dec?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking about doing a weekend in Dec. It's going to double as a stag wkend as I'm getting hitched on 23 Dec. Having said that though, most of us aren't into the whole getting pissed side of things.

I can get flights from Dublin to Geneva for less than 100euros at the mo(Aer Lingus), so I'm thinking of booking them now and choosing a resort nearer the time.

I have two questions: Is Geneva the best airport to use? And which resorts are within a 2hr transfer of Geneva(or whichever airport you would recommend)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

And which resorts are within a 2hr transfer of Geneva(or whichever airport you would recommend)?

many of the resorts within 2 hr of Geneva won't be fully open until well into December. Flaine is probably the best bet - you could check your websites and there are several Snowheads very knowledgeable about Flaine who could also possibly help with accommodation.

Otherwise Chamonix is an obvious destination - though the opening of the various areas would depend on the snow. Booking flights now probably a good idea - and if there's lots of snow in December you'll be glad you did.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamonix is 1 hour from Geneva. Transfers are easy to arrange and plenty of hotels will take weekend only bookings. We had a great time there on a stag do last April. Doubt you'll get long sunny lunches in December but should still be good.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Verbier is another option. 2 hr train transfer and you could stay in Le Chable if nightlife not a big priority and you want to keep cost down.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html does the how long to resort-x from the airport but take the times with a pinch of salt. For example on a clear run (in a car)I could regularly do Les Arcs to/from GVA in 2 hours.

Depends on which weekend you want in terms of 'opening' - but lots of places open on the 13th dec - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54936 gives more details. 3v open from the 5/6th Dec. apart from the lowest bits.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jumper, check out mountainsun in tignes, a slightly longer transfer but their all-in prices are going to be hard to beat
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yes, mountainsun would be very good, but I'd got the impression - possibly quite wrongly - that their deals for December were now pretty well full.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stag weekend from Geneva ? - Verbier for sure, and stay in Verbier right in the middle of it Very Happy probably a bit longer than 2 hours depending timing of trains and the bus up the hill.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd book your flights now and see where's got the best conditions nearer the time. Chamonix is an obvious choice as there's lots of nightlife - but if the snow isn't great, you'd want to be mostly at Argentiere which is the other end of the valley and a long way from stag party central in Chamonix town. if conditions aren't very good, Verbier or Tignes might well be a better choice. My OH went to a stag do in Verbier and had a great time. But you'll have no problem with accomodation wherever so you could leave the final choice until the last minute.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info and ideas. Some of these links will be very handy. I'll try and get everyone organised and get flights booked, but won't worry about deciding on more than that till nearer the time.

I'd forgotten about rail transfers! I think 1hr in a coach is prob worse than 3 in a Swiss train.

I'll let you know what we decide.

Ta.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reflecting other views - book your flights now get somewhere with snow nearer the time. Would agree with Verbier - cracking spot for a stag do. Personally, if night life is top priority, I wouldn't do Chamonix as I've always found the late night life a bit dull.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jumper, Book the flights to Geneva, sort the accomodation when you have picked a resort with good snow. Many of us in Morzine will do good deals for early December. Avoriaz should be open, we have started receiving snow already. Morzine will be kicking in with the saisonaires welcome parties. Transfer is only 90 minutes usually.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy