Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Running a little caf in the Alps without buying it...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm certain to attract derision, but here goes.

How does one go about running a modest little cafe in the Alps, say, but without blowing a huge sum of money buying a place?

Presumably there must be franchise arrangements, or circumstances where owners lease the place (with a little flat above to live in) as a going concern, that kind of thing.

Anybody done so?

I quite fancy operating one of those beer pression machines and cooking omelettes for a few months, maybe in a couple of years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From my observation, I think most people who run their own little café/bar work very long days when the punters are around (no chance of any skiing) in order to make any kind of living, given the very short season. It would be an odd decision for them to lease out their café - except for heaps of dosh - only for the most lucrative time of the year. Become a wage-slave, rather than a proprietor, I'd say. Take an older person's gap year. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Businesses for sale all the time in the Alps. Often the previous owners will be more than happy to keep the real estate interest IIRC for tax purposes and take rent off you while you do the hard work. Just remember they are unlikely to take the business back off you for the same price you paid for it and you need good legal advice in English to ensure you aren't contrained on selling the business on without the freehold.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You'd have to buy the fond du commerce, and it's not the kind of thing which would give you any ski time, given that people like to eat mainly during the day. See here: http://fonds-commerce.vivastreet.fr/annonces-commerce-pas-de-porte+les-deux-alpes-38860.

If you want to work a season and get any significant skiing done you need to apply to TOs or local bars. And remember that if you want to work for a local business you will have to speak the language to a reasonable level. If you want to run a business you will need to speak it to quite a good level or pay someone else to do it for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All round, not a great plan then?

OK.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulio, Nothing wrong with dreaming. Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
You'd have to buy the fond du commerce, and it's not the kind of thing which would give you any ski time, given that people like to eat mainly during the day. See here: http://fonds-commerce.vivastreet.fr/annonces-commerce-pas-de-porte+les-deux-alpes-38860.......

"La page que vous demandez n'existe pas" - for us Brits anyway. Not that I was even dreaming of opening up a cafe - but I was mildly intrigued.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
try this one http://fonds-commerce.vivastreet.fr/annonces-commerce-pas-de-porte+rhone-alpes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll stop tweaking my tartiflette recipe then, shall I.

Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing to do for weeks and then lines of impatient grumpy people in February.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, thanks. Exciting cost of just the 'goodwill' - which I thing fond du commerce is, isn't it? Never been too impressed with 'goodwill' as a price on British business - it's a very intangible asset - and highly dependent on the present operator's circumstances and working method.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, like a whore on Valentine's Day.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles,
Quote:

Never been too impressed with 'goodwill' as a price on British business - it's a very intangible asset

But very efficient in achieving tax relief on a purchase over 3, 5 or even 10 years It is possible the goodwill is for the taxman the difference between the bricks and mortar cost against the actual price the business is sold for Very Happy
paulio,
Dont be put off keep looking, 'cos you never know what deals may be out there.
Tim Wall owner of The pub ski lodge (and now several other businesses) was told not to bother when he suggested he could open a bar in the new resort of La Tania.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, he doesn't actually want to run a business though, does he? He's after "operating one of those beer pression machines and cooking omelettes for a few months". And presumably skiing a lot, which isn't likely to happen if he's cooking enough omelettes to turn a profit.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not just omelettes. That was merely an example.
snow report
Lizzard, Fair point, but as we all know flipping a few omlettes and serving beer is so easy wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, It must be... Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard, any vacancies for that wood cutting job (paid in gingerbread) at the moment?
ski holidays
paulio, it's carrot cake this week.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
achilles,
Quote:

Never been too impressed with 'goodwill' as a price on British business - it's a very intangible asset

But very efficient in achieving tax relief on a purchase over 3, 5 or even 10 years It is possible the goodwill is for the taxman the difference between the bricks and mortar cost against the actual price the business is sold for Very Happy....

Except that very often I don't think a business is worth much more than the property and stock (including intellectual property and patents - don't think paulio will be paying much for those). Technical know-how, may also be worth paying for. But goodwill? I think not. I remember that the SCGB paid a substantial amount for 'goodwill' when they bought out Freshtracks in order to gain CST as CE. It might have been more clear for the membership to have declared the money as a Golden Hello.
latest report
There's always chance to apply for that "job" someone was advertising here. You get whole chalet for free, and when they are not around, I'm sure you could turn it into place for operating one of those beer pression machines and cooking omelettes Twisted Evil
latest report
Very good.
snow report
our local resto in France changed hands a couple of years ago. It was hugely successful and popular and, I'm sure, profitable. Run by a couple very well known locally, without any help that I ever noticed. Throughout the season they worked all day, just about every day. They had converted the place themselves, from a barn, 20 years ago, and it was right on the edge of the piste - perfect for lunchtime stops. It was sold to a Frenchman from elsewhere who had an apartment in the development and the word on the block is that the price - and the "goodwill" - was pretty steep. Anyhow, he made a very bad start, squandered the goodwill rather quickly and is now really struggling, I suspect. Pleasant guy, but absolutely not a restaurateur (more of a cyclist) and he employs a cook in the winter. We wonder sadly how long he'll survive.

The previous proprietor was the cousin of the proprietress of our other local resto - and they hadn't spoken for years. Some kind of family feud - we don't know what. There's a lot of that about in small alpine villages. I suspect that if paulio leased a caff and started doing well he could find that local suppliers became extraordinarily hard to get hold of. wink
snow report
I've gone off the idea now.
ski holidays
Tut tut. You need more determination that that. Cool
latest report
paulio,
Will you offer a snowheads discount?
If you can take a look at Skifood in Val Thorens I doubt they have a website. Its pretty much a burger bar. He did some awesome steak, sausage or chicken baguettes with chips at a fair price. He was turning them round quick and doing a good trade. He didnt have much seating it was purly take away with a few standing tables. Cheaper than eating at a restaurant for lunch Ideal for some one who wants a good value feed and want to maximise ski time.
snow report
I don't want a beefburger. I want a new life.
snow conditions
paulio, I'd settle for a burger at the moment myself
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio, so get one - there are plenty of business opportunities in resorts at the moment. Just don't expect to ski much or live the kind of turbo-consumer lifestyle so many Brits seem to think is essential.
snow report
primoz wrote:
There's always chance to apply for that "job" someone was advertising here. You get whole chalet for free, and when they are not around, I'm sure you could turn it into place for operating one of those beer pression machines and cooking omelettes Twisted Evil

excellent idea, no property overheads to worry about either Toofy Grin
ski holidays
paulio, Have look here, several Alpine business available and here

But I guess most of those are more than beers and omlettes Sad
snow report
paulio, The Flying Squirrel in Plan Peisey is up for sale, I noticed when there last month. That has a good snowHead following & you could pm theflyingsquirrel for details.
ski holidays
Also here: http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Business-Region/France/business-for-sale-in-Savoie.aspx

Are you wondering yet why there's so much for sale at the moment?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
.......It was sold to a Frenchman from elsewhere who had an apartment in the development and the word on the block is that the price - and the "goodwill" - was pretty steep. Anyhow, he made a very bad start, squandered the goodwill rather quickly and is now really struggling, I suspect.....

Quite. Basically, the goodwill goes with the old proprietors, not the new - who has to earn goodwill, if he deserves it, based on results.
latest report
I don't want to buy anything. I thought I'd said that. Maybe I didn't.

Any case, I've now resigned myself to another 35 years at this desk, before I die, instead.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Also here: http://uk.businessesforsale.com/uk/Business-Region/France/business-for-sale-in-Savoie.aspx

Are you wondering yet why there's so much for sale at the moment?

Yep, best time to buy - at the bottom of the market Toofy Grin
snow report
paulio, why not just move your desk to the Alps?
snow report
Hey, at least he didn't say he wanted to become a guide wink
snow report
Quote:

Any case, I've now resigned myself to another 35 years at this desk, before I die, instead.

35 years of flipping omelettes probably wouldn't be much fun anyhow.
snow report
davejsy, what about crêpes and galettes?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy