Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are 181cm skis too long for me?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My sister won a pair of skis (181cm, 122-87-112) at the ski show in London on Saturday and she has kindly given them to me as she is a snowboarder.

I am 173cm, 90kgs, currently ski-ing a pair of 07/08 Scott RC's @ 169cm and a pair of 08/09 Rossi S4's @ 167cm. I am CSIA level 1 qualified so consider myself a fairly competent skier, although don't have a massive amount of experience off piste.

My question is: Would the ski's which are 181cm be too long for me to ski comfortably as i am used to ski-ing shorter ones?

Thanks in advance for your replies and help,

Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you stand next to the skis, where do they come up on you? Ie head height, 1 foot above your head etc etc?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm 177cm, weigh 70kg and ski 183cm movement gladiators. They're twin tips so the true running length is somewhere in the high 170s. I'm a competent skiier but am not qualified in any way shape or form. In good snow, the skis were brilliant. In less good snow, I struggled. I think the extra 20kg will make a difference, a skis doesn;t know haw tall you are only how heavy you are - with the extra weight you should be able to preload and get more out of the ski than a lighter skiier. I'd say go for it. I personally found it very satisfying to have the ladies scream "my god they're enormous" in front of a tarrace full of fellow snowheads at the EOSB Smile

kitenski, 181-173 means the skis would be just above willow's head
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Kitenski,

They are 8cm above my head.

Should have mentioned that they are twin tips as well if that has an impact on things.

Ben
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
willow, nice skis. Length is such an entertaining question. I'm ~165 cms and spent my formative skiing years on 203 & 207s. My latest purchase are 188s. My daily ski is a 165. What to make of that?

Try them. For more than one day and in many conditions. If you don't like them, hey, they were (essentially) free. eBay 'em. If you love them, hey(!) they were essentally free. Happy days!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say they're absolutely fine. All this nose-length stuff is absolute bobbins if you're anywhere over "socially acceptable weights" - give 'em a whirl - what've you got to lose? They're not that fat so I think they'd be OK, but only you can judge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
willow, sorry mate, they're way too long for you, but I think they're perfect for me, so I'll do you a favour and take them off you hands for shall we say fifty quid? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt wrote:

kitenski, 181-173 means the skis would be just above willow's head

That's the logical answer, but in my experience, ski lengths vary massively, depending on the ski make. I've measured my skis next to supposed longer ones from a different manufacturer and the longer ones were shorter......

8cm over my head would feel too long for me, but I guess it depends on how you ski, the extra length would be beneficial in powder, but it wouldn't be as 'nimble'........

As others have said, if they are mounted why not try them??

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What sort of skis are they? For on piste cruisers you could go a lot smaller for off piste chargers you could go longer. Also the siffness is very important in determining what length you need/prefer. Try em and see.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I'm going to call you on the height above head thing.

My previous ski anything all rounders were 160. My current ski anything all rounders are 165. My new powder/crud-bashers/etc. are 188. My go silly fast if I can bear it are 190. All are current models, at least marketed within the last 4 years.

I think I'm about 165 tall.

I'm happy on all the skis except the new ones which I haven't skied. I'm also happy on my mate's 210 SG/DHs (which are lovely) and the 218s I occasionally rent for fun.

Edited to say only that I'm not trying to be narky, just that the above the head thing is somewhat irrelevant.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Normally I say ski twin tips long but I am getting the impression here that they are too long for you with your all round stats..

But I guess they aren't mounted so a quick blast on them isn't feasible
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
willow wrote:
I am CSIA level 1 qualified so consider myself a fairly competent skier. My question is: Would the ski's which are 181cm be too long for me to ski comfortably as i am used to ski-ing shorter ones?

Hmm now you would have thought one of the first jobs of being an instructor is making sure the client has been given the correct length skis or don't CSIA cover that? Laughing

willow wrote:

My sister won a pair of skis (181cm, 122-87-112) at the ski show in London on Saturday and she has kindly given them to me as she is a snowboarder.

The more important question is what are you getting her for xmas - it had better be decent!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:
willow wrote:
I am CSIA level 1 qualified so consider myself a fairly competent skier. My question is: Would the ski's which are 181cm be too long for me to ski comfortably as i am used to ski-ing shorter ones?

Hmm now you would have thought one of the first jobs of being an instructor is making sure the client has been given the correct length skis or don't CSIA cover that? Laughing

I'm not entirely certain you even need to know what a pair of skis are for CSIA1 Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC wrote:
I'm not entirely certain you even need to know what a pair of skis are for CSIA1 Wink

x2.

Is this a troll?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm 165cm skiing on 172cm skis, iM82s - so a wider waist than these competition freebies.

If you've got the weight and the strength to handle them it's OK. This guy is relatively heavy and he has his CSIA1 - so he should be competent enough. You *can* do short radius turns but it takes some effort! They carve like the dog's nuts!

There's been some interesting debates on this subject on other sites: i.e., is the current "ski length up to your chin" simply trying to make skiing more accessible (easier) for a larger portion of the population thereby getting more people on the hill and more $$$ in the bank?
latest report
They sound absolutely fine, considering they're a twin so they will ski more like 175 and the fact that you weigh 90kg.
As others have said though it kinda depends on the type of ski. It sounds like they might be heidiskis all-mountain, (well expensive!) give them a go!
ski holidays
Hi all,

Thank you all for the great replies and advice given by all (even the one with a hint of troll).

After reading your suggestions here, talking with ski-ing pals and some of my instructor friends, I have decided that these are too big for me. I feel that if they were 10cm shorter or another 13mm underfoot they would be perfect.

Once again, thank you for all your advice; it is greatly appreciated.

Ben

PS: Sorry for the late reply, i have just started a new job with a sizeable commute so things have been a little manic.
snow conditions
willow wrote:

After reading your suggestions here, talking with ski-ing pals and some of my instructor friends, I have decided that these are too big for me. I feel that if they were 10cm shorter or another 13mm underfoot they would be perfect.

Of course, at 90 kgs they will behave like rockered skis anyway. Toofy Grin
latest report
how's about trying to swop with this guy??

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=56502&highlight=
snow conditions
kitenski, Laughing that could *almost* work.
snow report
I'm about 170 tall, i wouldn't consider purchasing anything under 185. But i mostly only ski off piste & rather quickly so i prefer a longer ski for the extra stability & flotation they provide.
latest report
willow, As far as I can see the only reasons for not trying them is because you hate the topsheet or want to sell them.

Twin tips may ski quite a bit shorter. There is a lot of "ski fatter" talk at the moment. The "ski shorter" moment seems to be passing. In a few years time it will be back to 200cm single-tipped noodles... Give them a whirl. Wink
snow report
Just seen your post on the B&S page. They look like a great pair of skis which you most probably aren't going to get anywhere near what you're asking for for them. Seems like a terrible waste just cause you're afraid they'll be a bit big for you. They're not massively taller than you & they're twin tips so they'll ski short.

After all what's the worst that can happen if you feel they are to big for you? Considering they're free....
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:

After all what's the worst that can happen if you feel they are to big for you? Considering they're free....

He could feel intimidated by a girlie ski?
ski holidays
willow, I'm 158cm tall, weigh high 60's kg atm (ie too much) and I have and ski on skis from 155cm to 181cm... my GS sksi are quite long and the 155cm are a slalom racing ski... I prefer the LONGER skis - in fact my everyday ski is a 176cm ski which is quite a bit taller than me... It is very personal - I'm used to a longer ski because my instructors had me on longer skis to aid stability off-piste in crappy snow(well and on-piste if you every skied aussie snow you would understand the piste does not stay 'pisted' very long anyway)... I just learnt to use them... You can ski them if you choose to... just depends what sort of turn shape you prefer how easy/comfy they will feel... I can ski the slaloms - and I can ski the 181cm I just have to decide to do some work until I feel comfy then they are as easy as the other skis... takes maybe an hour or so to adjust fully...
snow report
little tiger, I think I'm going to propose a new forum rule: No more than 3 ellipses in one post without a link to video of the poster skiing. Cool wink
snow conditions
comprex, you should have seen the video of me skiing (albeit poorly) plus i think my video was posted here a few times...

Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy