Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix: questions about the Montenvers train.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of taking some friends up there tomorrow. Is there readily accessible shelter and coffee up there, without having to hike anywhere? One of our friends has recently been very ill (burst brain aneurysm) and his hiking capacity is still pretty limited, but he can walk for 45 minutes or so if it's not too steep or balance-challenging.

Weather forecast is good, but I'll check with Chamonix Meteo in the morning.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Hi, there's a cafe bar at the top, which should be open if the train's running - maybe check with the station? There's also the Hotel Montenvers which may be closed for the interseason. If not, it's a good lunch stop. 04 50 53 87 70
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep there is a cafeteria place at the terminal of the Montenvers train. The Mer de Glace train stops at the glacier which is good for a short visit into the glacier interior. You will be able to see the holes they dug out each year to see how much the glacier has moved year by year.

If your firend is strong enough there is a short walk on the top of the glacier, nothing strengous. In absolutely appalling weather you can still sip your coffee while admiring the great view of the glacier inside the cafeteria.

I last visted possibly 5 years ago but the substantial terminal building has always been there for years.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, under a new name, thanks - it sounds good. The lift down to the glacier, and the grotto thing is closed at the moment and looking at my map it's a steep climb between the glacier and the station. But a super view with a coffee sounds fine, and he should be strong enough for a short walk. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They provide ladders to get around between the glacier and the terminal buildings. The glacier the last time I saw was enjoyed by visitors of all ages. It was made a tourist attraction then.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, my wife took some friends there in the Summer and they were a bit underwhelmed as the glacier looks quite dirty down there and the Grotto was shut. They also took the cable car up to the Aiguille du Midi which proved a bigger hit (but more expensive and high altitude).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you in Chamonix at the moment, Pam?
For a short walk from Montenvers you can either -

go up to Forbes Signal - uphill though, but even 10 mins up that direction will take you here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaletlaforet/2935384020/sizes/l/

or go on the level path towards Plan de l'aiguille, turning back when you feel you've had enough

or follow the short nature/history trail signposted from the old hotel (about 1/2 hour)

The colours are lovely at the moment - just got back from le Chapeau on the other side and it was gorgeous!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
firebug, we're in Les Saisies. I was originally planning a round trip up to the Plan de l'Aiguille, then along that path and down the train. But I think up and down on the train would be safer - and I've not walked that path, though we did the "Balcon" the other side in the summer. Our neighbours did the walk from the Plan de l'Aiguille with their 5 year old, and looking at the map it's pretty easy, but I am keen not to take on too much with our friend.

thanks. Absolutely gorgeous photo - I think we could make it up there OK.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah we'll just miss you! We've just left.

Shelter is provided by the cafe, assuming it's open, but it's a lousy place. I can't think of much good to say about it except that it's warm. I highly recommend taking a thermos as they don't deserve anyone's hard-earned cash, and I've got really mulish about giving them money. It's forecast to be lovely so you're better off with sandwiches I reckon. Especially if it's anything like today - I was roasting! If the hotel is open that is a much better option but unlikely at the moment.

The station is at 1913 and Forbes Signal is at 2198 so up to you if this is OK for your friend - otherwise you can just go up a bit to the viewpoint I linked earlier and descend. It is really worth getting away from the station, even a few minutes makes a big difference.

You might pass the Temple of Nature too, behind the hotel, it's where Byron, Ruskin, Wordsworth, Shelley, etc used to hang out and it's just a little stone hut but rather sweet I think. You can see old engravings where its the only building there.

The balcon from Plan de l'aiguille to Montenvers is easier that the Balcon sud I'd say, but you are committed to finishing it once you've started so I think you are wise not to try it with someone recovering from a serious illness. Having said that I walked it at this time last year with my stepmother who's 75 so hopefully they'll be well enough for it soon!

Chambre neuf is a nice place for lunch by the railway station and opens a bit later than most places.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug, thanks very much; great info. Have made the sandwiches. Our friend has decided it would be too long a day, with the drive both ends as well. So we might do the Plan de l'Aiguille path after all snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smile enjoy!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We decided to do a return on the train, as it is a lot cheaper, and walked up to the Signal Forbes with a picnic. Just got back and cooked a steak for supper. Beautiful day! Many thanks for your help. I am keen to do the walk from the Plan de l'Aiguille - will probably have to be next summer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds lovely!

For some reason known only to themselves the CMB keep very quiet about this, but you can get a return ticket to go back down at either end (Plan de l'Aiguille or Montenvers). I think it's actually the same ticket as normal - but they will accept it at each end. We've certainly gone back down from Montenvers with the return half of an Aiguille ticket.

It's always worth checking and asking when you buy it, in case things have changed, and once the cashier didn't know about it and had to call the office, but it will work. Why they don't advertise it I have no idea as it's something loads of people want to do.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy