Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blocking

Poster: A snowHead
Please could someone with a little spare time explain Blocking to me... with examples!!!.

Is it technical or a technical name for common sense?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know although it seems to be a popular contemporaneous term. I'd say its a physical impingement (usually biomechanical but I guess equipment related would also be valid) which prevents a desired outcome (skis tracking in desired direction etc).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or from skimottaret's glossary

BLOCKAGE - or Blocking - When the position of some of the body's joints effectively "block" or reduce the range of movement of other joints. To feel an example of this effect stand in your skiing "goal keeper's" position with all the joints flexed and your elbows slightly out as if you are holding poles. Now raise your elbows up as high as they will go and your neck/upper body will be blocked. Similarly, drop your elbows into your sides and your lower back will be blocked.

Which would suggest that it need be nothing about outcomes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
so "when body bits get in the way of other body bits" or "the way joints don't move"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stand with your skis parallel across a slope and turn your upper body so that your shoulders are facing up the hill a bit.

Without moving your upper body (shoulders) try stepping your uphill ski out to form a half plough.

Now you know what blocking is (and why lots of beginner skiers struggle with even this most "basic" concept).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dulcamara, yes it is common sense and nothing magical but unless it is demonstrated it can be surprising to how big an extent small changes in body position can impact range of movement in other joints, try this next time you have skis on.

stand upright extended as tall as you can make yourself and then try to lift up the tail of one of your skis.... then try it with your knees just a little bit flexed.

then picture your self skiing through moguls very upright and then in the second position. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, you beat me to it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yoda, Very good - so were I to get myself in that situtation I'd unblock by crouching down on my downhil leg ? wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ahh gotcha, cheers guys, will get used to ski words soon....i hope

so to take the example off the other thread that keeping your feet close together in a race turn results in blocking your ability to move your centre of mass across your skis..... ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not going to stick my neck out too far (I hope) but my concept of "blocking" is something which is internal to the body - i.e. the extent to which part or parts of the body hinder another part from doing something. In my simple example above you can "unblock" the hip by moving the shoulders to face down the hill instead of up. If an internal body part is preventing movement of the COM then yes, but I'm not sure that would be the case Puzzled I'd go with "impeding" to describe external factors.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yoda,
Quote:

Not going to stick my neck out too far
I think you just did and the ensuing blockage caused a hair to split! wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, I don't have that many to spare Madeye-Smiley .... but then there's always the "blocking" pole plant Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
or "blocking" slalom poles, thats always a great argument amongst racers
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yoda wrote:
Not going to stick my neck out too far (I hope) but my concept of "blocking" is something which is internal to the body

I think I had this when i ate too much Tartiflette... Shocked
...certainally impeded movements...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, Haha Love it Very Happy
snow report
Richard_Sideways, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy