Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base layers and socks!

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at getting some more socks and a couple more base layers this year. Last year i used tresspass cheap base layers from TK MAXX and some cheap tube socks on sale at blacks. I felt my feet could have been a little warmer and the base layers could have fit better hence why i want new ones! Can anyone recommend me some brands that i should be looking at and what type of base layers and socks (materials, type of fit etc)?

Thanks

Hugh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Icebreaker Merino wool. Not cheap but super warm and brilliant for repeat use as the Merino doesn't smell. Have some x-socks and falke but they rarely come out the drawer since discovering icebreaker.

And it's miles cheaper in the Uk than in Switzerland or France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hugh_b, If the trepass were warm enough then no problem. I use a base of polartec 100 and this copes in a 3 layer system down to around -15, I think. I wear a pack at all times so this helps as well... Depends how cool you run whilst skiing so a little variation between different people probably.

As for socks, bin the tubes...IMV, it isn't the warmth element but the fit that is the most important thing, IMO.
X socks are the best out there, IMV but I have Smartwool, Therlos, Falke as well to chose from, I'll always favour X socks ..

I take 4 fleeces and 4 pr of socks and wash them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have Smartwool socks (the 'light' ones) - think they are fab, nice and warm and because they are wool they don't smell after 1 day's use. I can get away with 2 pairs for a week's skiing, letting one pair air a bit whilst wearing the others.

I also like Icebreaker thermals - wear them quite a bit even when not doing anything sporty, as they are v comfy and look pretty nice. Expensive, but I have never paid full price; the Cotswold website had some recently at about 50% off. They come in a few different weights: I like 180 or 200 for a baselayer and 320 for midlayer. As I said are quite good value as can wear for other activities and just for casual. If you're not bothered about wool I think Helly Hansen thermals are quite good as well, and they often come in a set of top and long johns at £10 cheaper than buying them separately. They get smelly more quickly than the wool ones, but dry really quickly so you can just wash them out.

I think in general baselayers should be fairly neat-fitting to work well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another fan of icebreaker gear here too. I find the fit is good for me and all the garments feel comfy. Often buy from NZ to get some bargains wink

Try here as they are often cheaper than UK prices Smile There are some good prices if you dont mind certain colours and they have your size Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guy's, i've seen cotswolds are doing the ice breaker tops for £35 but they are also doing the HH merino twin pack for £60 which seems quite good:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/webpoint/webpoint.cfm?bhcp=1&FUSEACTION=main&SHOWMESSAGE=0&GOTOLOCATION=0&MENUSTATE=N&originalReferrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecotswoldoutdoor%2Ecom%2F#app=7491&2919-selectedIndex=5&2919-idBrand=-1&2919-group2=Mens%20Clothing%20Offers&2919-selectedMenuVsIndex=1&2919-idGroup2=458&2919-selectedMenuAccIndex=0&2919-tag=false&2919-group1=Sale&2919-selectedMenuLstIndex=-1&2919-selectedMenuLstIndex2=0&2919-selectedMenuLstIndex3=-1&2919-counter=2&2919-idGroup1=38[/url]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been using merino thermals from here. I have a pair of Icebreaker ones too but they don't fit me quite as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shock Ris those merino thermals are amazing price! I just bought some icebreakers off fleabay for 18 quid but your shop does the long sleeve version for only 6 quid more.

I'm going to try merino wool this year but I've used my football shirts for the last 2 years and didn't have a problem with them. Confused

What are people's thoughts on those Underarmour coldgear? I think TKMAXX and Sportsdirect do odd sized Canterbury baselayers for cheap.

I personally wouldn't want it too tight on me so I'd need a Large for it to fit me loosely (i'm chest 36"). I have a long sleeve Canterbury cold layer in the "correct" size and it's uncomfortably compressive (but okay for 90mins). Also I find the sleeves a little too short for some reason.

I am however dubious about the medical value of the compressive layers. I've looked at some research and it'd suggest there are no immediate performance improvement although they may aid in reducing recovery times after exercises (by reducing muscle vibration during movement).

Having said that, as a base layer they would wick the sweat off you nicely and therefore would keep you dry/warm. They are close fitting and so they will raise your skin temperature. They have helped me recover from a persistent groin injury as they my muscles cooling down too quickly when I have a breather.

BTW if you just want a basic synthetic wicking layer, Decathlon does some wicking shirts in their own material for good prices too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, if the 200g merino base layers on that link are similar quality to icebreaker the prices are fantastic!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The HH merino stuff itches a little bit, icebreaker / smartwool garments are more comfortable to wear.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't bother with thermals as I'd be far too hot. I just wear long compression socks under my boots and a 'rash vest' style T-shirt under my ski jacket.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not a fan of the longevity of wool, I've had some synthetic layers for base years, I bought some merino wool layers 2 seasons ago, and 2 out of the 4 are showing signs of wear, small holes that have needed to be patched. I'm now leaning back to synthetic layers, which they seem to now have added things like silver to have the anti whiff capability.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another option, if you're like me and don't get on with wool next to your skin, is silk thermals. I use the Patra ones, similar prices to the merinos in rjs's link. The nice thing about silk is it's very fine and it doesn't keep on warming you when you're indoors. I get away with 3 sets of vest and LJs for a week (can also wash them v easily in a sink)

As for socks, I'm a Falke fan - they're the only ones I've found that don't shrink in the wash (and I can't bear sock elastics stuck half way up my calf)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Listen guys..if we aren't touring, what is this deal about the anti-smell thing... ??? just wash it, Laughing Laughing Laughing and the good thing about fleece is that it dries really quickly as well as being a good warmth layer..

I have an Icebreaker base and have never had to use it underneath my polartecs so a waste of money. Always carry it, never need it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I tend to just wear my merino tees under a shell and thats it..but i get uber hot quickly anyway. Also use some craft (paramo also good) baselayers as they are good at moisture management with merino isn't. and use compression shorts down below.

Socks smartwool are good as a falke and xbionic...go thin.

these guys also do cheap icebreaker deals for those after some clicky
ski holidays
JT, you want to spend your time washing clothes on a ski holiday Shocked

Same as Papasmurf I use a 150g/m under a shell with a 320g/m in the bag for cold days/mornings or way down when touring.
snow report
bobinch, yeah...how hard can it be... ? some chalets have washing machines or a hand wash is manageable.. Laughing

If you don't have running water, then different story
snow conditions
I've found you need to try on merino stuff. Got a good Patagonia top in a shop in N Wales but the size wasn't what I'd have ordered. It's super comfortable, very light stretchy/clingy. Decathlon have started doing merino too - but tried on the women's long sleeve top in both a medium and small last week. The medium was baggy, the small uncomfortably tight. And they just didn't feel right. Not itchy - just not anything like as good as the Patagonia one.

I don't think anyone would claim merino is long lasting compared to synthetics. My son bought one in NZ some years ago and wore it endlessly, and in the end the arms were completely shredded. The synthetic type are pretty indestructible.
ski holidays
Maybe a thin merino-wool T-shirt with a thin synthetic long armed top worn over the T-shirt is the way to go.

Has anyone found a synthetic baselayer than 'prevents the pong' as well as a Merino baselayer?
snow report
re anti smell, my missus says my old synthetic stuff can smell by lunchtime on a hot spring day, I ain't giving up half a day to go back and wash Wink
snow conditions
kitenski, indeed..just give it to her later on and tell her to get on with it... Laughing
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Has anyone found a synthetic baselayer than 'prevents the pong' as well as a Merino baselayer?

yes Smile

I now have 4 (2 short, 2 long) Berghaus tech T's which seem to do the job well. Their blurb says:

Argentium Tech T fabric is exclusive to Berghaus® and utilises silver ion technology that has permanent odour protection as well as excellent quick drying and wicking properties and UV protection. Argentium is an engineered polyester fabric exclusive to Berghaus. Argentium offers permanent moisture management and wicking properties through the use of a denier gradient knit structure and channeled yarns. Argentium has permanent odour resist properties through the use of a silver ion technology. The knitted fabric structure in these tees has been body mapped to maximise air flow
snow conditions
This is probably a good place to plug the new business of one of my friends. Together with a partner, he started Yew Clothing, which aims at making clothing (including base layers) from ethically sourced materials.

They're at the Ski and Snowboard show if anyone's interested.

http://www.yewclothing.com/

I hope this doesn't count as spam - I haven't pushed other business interests to the snowheads community (though if someone's got a large business to value, say hello!)
latest report
maybe i am just not a stinky person (or maybe I am but everyone is too polite to tell me) but i don't really find much difference between synthetics and wool. i prefer synthetics for energetic activity like skinning because it dries quicker and doesn't get as heavy as wool does when wet

patagucci capilene (?sp) is my favourite
snow report
Arno,

While on a hut to hut tour one guy slept in the synthetic baselayers he had been wearing all week. By the end of the week you couldn't smell 'em, you could taste them in the air.
snow report
I think most companies now do some kinda anti pong, either silver or a anti bac treatment, think canterbury do on most of their decent ranges.

Is Capilene good then? that linky i posted earlier does some good deals on Patagonia abd their Capilene base layers
latest report
DB, i have taken capilene on hut to hut and it didn't stink to high heaven

some people are just more naturally stinky than others

no matter what i put on my feet will stink filthy within about 30 mins - just how I am built unfortunately
latest report
Arno wrote:
maybe i am just not a stinky person (or maybe I am but everyone is too polite to tell me) but i don't really find much difference between synthetics and wool. i prefer synthetics for energetic activity like skinning because it dries quicker and doesn't get as heavy as wool does when wet

patagucci capilene (?sp) is my favourite

Isn't it more to do with the fact you sod off at lunchtime and sunbathe Laughing NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can assure you I had worked up a sweat in the morning (and the smell of my socks would prove it)!
snow report
I got a Marmot baselayer from TK Maxx yesterday and wore it yesterday at Hemel, where I normally freeze but I was roasting hot! I had another 2 layers on plus jacket as per usual for me, so I'm not too worried that I would be too hot in a resort. Very thoroughly reccomend the brand, it was about £15. I also get socks from TK Maxx, I can't be doing with tube socks but I have bought technical K2 qand Salomon socks in the past, often quite expensive (£10 ish) but verrrrry comfy and warm.
ski holidays
Thanks for the help guy's, whilst in Snow and rock today i had a look at the ice breaker/their own brand base layers, both seem pretty good but pricey from them so i'm going to shop around. I also had a look at the smartwool socks and at £18 a pair i think they will have to go on the christmas list!

Hugh
snow conditions
hugh_b, you only need two pairs - one on, one outside on the windowsill. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Another vote for IceBreaker base layer here. Think my leggings are 260 and long sleeve top is 200 (I tend to get cold easily).

Have tried various socks - the best ones I've found are Falke - some type of 'race' model.
snow report
Merino wool.

Marque not important, but smell resistant very important. Wear it, shower if necessary (sometimes) shag and reapply.
snow report
hugh_b, Try www.finisterreuk.com, Mrs Radar swears by them she has a number of their base layers as well as the underwear, have a look at Embers Merino www.embersmerino.com, they were at the Show and it was very nice gear the OH was impressed with the quality have put some on my Christmas list. Merino isn't cheap but you don't so much as it doesn't smell wink
ski holidays
hugh_b, Try skiwear4less.com for baselayers and Lidls for socks both very comfortable fits and the socks are fitted and long!!
snow report
Arno wrote:
DB, i have taken capilene on hut to hut and it didn't stink to high heaven that I noticed.

FIFY.
snow conditions
so is it just me that finds the longevity of Merino is no where near synthetic???
latest report
kitenski, I don't sweat much but wearing my synthetic for more than a couple of days is not pleasant. I wore a Merino for 6 days in a row and not even my wife complained! It's not as long wearing but a few small holes don't bother me and I wear mine well and they have lasted more than adequately. Better than the synthetics that stay in the draw!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy