Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleazyjet now charge for Skis

Poster: A snowHead
when did this start? They certainly kept it quiet. Just looking to fix up that cheeky last weekend of the season on 15th April and they ask for £10 per leg for taking my skis.

BA are cheaper, take my skis for free and treat me nicely. No contest.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They shouldn't price it per leg. My skiing centipede is going to be furious about this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Sparks,

Not all surprised at this, I am more surprised they didn't do this from the start..!!

It's easy money isn't it! Vote with your feet!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT, RyanAir charge £15 IF! they'll take them (dependent on how much commercial freight is in their hold).
It was inevitable with more people buying their own kit . . . every trip I've been on has seen more luggage carts with ski bags and my recent trip to Vallandry had real probs with getting all the bags on the coach. Even the driver sleeper cubicle was stuffed with bags. It's the price we pay for the convenience of our own equipment versus the cost of hire in resort. Even at these prices we're still quids-in. We've had a good run with SleazyJet and on the whole they've been fair to us . . . I don't feel TOO screwed by this new policy but it bears watching! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It'll be interesting to see next Wednesday if they try to charge me as I booked my ticket before they introduced the charge! I might argue it! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque,

Yes , not too concerned about this and TO's started this anyway.
I must admit I hire for a variety of reasons and as long as I get the skis I want will probably continue to do so.
I like to travel light and have just got this off pat. Hiring is expensive if you go for a premium ski but all things considered
and the convienience factor its still worth it.

As with all travel if the price suits you you will go for it.
Must be expensive running those planes, could never work out how they did it when the going price was so much higher elsewhere.
Where are these people skimping...??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I generally find that Easyjet are just soooo expensive whenever I've tried to book them. I ususally use Ryanair these days.

A friend used EUJet (based in Manston, Kent) and was allowed only 10kg baggage. I think his skis were extra cost too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro,

EUjet are supposed to be struggling but they go to quite a lot of cities throughout Europe.

I think the best way to travel is by train but that probably only works if you live in the South East.

I keep on expecting the bubble to bust as regards cheap air travel but it keeps on going. Maybe it is creeping up little by little to what the market will bare as they all do..!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done the sums on hiring vs buying about a year ago, and over (3 or 4 years I think), I compared my purchase of XScreams in the end of season sales vs my mates hiring decent skis ie Pocket Rockets etc, inc the cost of servicing, the cost of taking skis on flights, etc, and it was about even!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fo another reason.
When i go to the US I quite often DHL or UPS my skis to my accomodation. Used to do this in case of Luggage getting lost. Its not expensive & they arrive before you !

My point is maybe this is an option to send your skis from the UK to the resort, save carrying them & saves Ryan Or Easy pocketing the surcharges Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, how much skking do you do a year? I've long though the airport hassle was the clincher for not buying, but I have just seen stanton's comment.....

stanton, can you give us an idea of cost?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I ski one week, and one or two weekends a year. Speaking to the SCGB rep I was skiing with on Friday, his view was if you ski > 2 weeks a year buy, less than than rent.

I can't see shipping them to chalet working that well, maybe to a hotel it would be ok.

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can check prices on www.ups.com .

In fact might as well send your luggage as well and ask the airline for a discount at least with UPS & DHL it will get there & its insured, plus you dont have to lug it to the airport !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you fly with Swiss, the skis are free and you can get your luggage delivered to your destination rail station (if it's in Switzerland). They can be cheaper than the low-costs at times, esp in winter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky - agree - when all factors are taken into account - peripheral airports, service levels, lost luggage, ticket prices, etc...... the lo-cost airlines do not stack up against the schedule airline services by Swiss, BA .....
snow report
hibernia, that varies, I think, as I've done trips with EJ far cheaper than equivalents by BA or Swiss, but then the reverse is also true. I remember flying to/from Zurich once and someone I talked to that same week paid over £100 more for their EJ return than I paid for my Swiss (then Crossair) return. I am talking about simply air fares here, as we live close to two low-cost airports (LTN & STA) and it can cost more (or take longer) to get to LHR, GAT or LCY. The scheduled airlines can lose luggage as well, they just *tend* to handle the situation better. Another thing to take into account are airmiles. Through regular business travel (unfortunately now far less frequent), I was able to get many cheap/free flights - and paying for some prersonal travel sometimes added the right number if airmiles to get the flight.

Generally, I would say it depends on teh situation, but it's always worth checking all airlines/routes, etc. as you could be pleasantly surprised.
ski holidays
Skanky - I have found that booking several months in advance with the scheduled airlines that you can get some great deals which are the same or lower than the so called " lo fare " brigade. I am thinking of airlines line Aer Lingus, which has now copied the lo-cost model but is still a full-service airline from a major airport ( Heathrow ) with designated seating, reasonable baggage allowance, good customer service. ( example - Return flight from Heathrow to Shannon £28 + c.£30 taxes for end of April booked on the internet.) Would put Swiss and BA into this category.

I agree that the lo-fare airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet may work but you have to do a lot of contorting to get the " value " - travel times early, airports are peripheral in the UK and overseas, very poor service ( Ryanair ) when things go wrong, fares not that different from some of the above if booked late, no designated seating, low excesses for baggage, charges for skis.

The model will work for someone who lives right beside Stanstead, can take an very early morning flight, little baggage, no skis, can fly mid-week, is lucky to actually get some of their promotional offers; brings their own sandwiches on board; is prepared and has the time to put up with the hassle when things ( as they inevitably do with non-delivery of luggage ) go badly wrong.

You can see from my posting ( and experience ) that I am mot a great fan of the so called lo-cost airlines.
snowHead
latest report
stanton, If I read that right, 10kg to France (Zone 4) is £141.95? Think I'll put up with present arrangements Shocked
gregh, thanks.
snow report
hibernia, no, and I agree with much of what you say. However, when we went to Evian in the summer, EJ was simply the cheapest way to fly to Geneva (by about £40 each), and flying at decent times. So as I say it's always worth checking them all (whichever way your preference lies).
latest report
skanky - yes I agree its worthwhile checking them all - but with a couple of bad experiences on Ryanair can be enough to put you off them all for good.
snow conditions
Nick Zotov

I havent used them for a while & when I do Im noramlly in the US for 4-6 weeks or longer. I send from The Netherlands. I,ll have a look and see what they charge nowadays,

Re. Cheap Airlines. I found you can just a good or better deal with the regular airlines primarily because everyone wants to travel at the weekend so your find most the bucket shop airlines fares are HIGH to maximise profit. Traveling Mid week I agree is cheap.

I've managed some fantastic deals at short notice with Swiss from Schiphol to Zurich at the premium times ie Friday afternoon back Monday morning.
snow conditions
Just as a check , I put in flights to other ski destinations too, only seems to apply to Geneva so far .
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I've just booked Easyjet tickets to Naples (in June - not a ski trip!) and the message about skis popped up.
ski holidays
I don't believe there is a hard and fast rule on this. Each time you want to travel, you have to compare lo-cost vs traditional and see what meets your time & wallet requirements.

My best deal is the Ryanair 1p flight to turin from a few years back, my skis actually cost more to travel than I did!

cheers,

greg
ski holidays
Do the charge for pigs? Puzzled
snow report
Tony Lane, just checked this out, and website now shows charges for skis, bicycles, and golf clubs for all destinations. Still, my skis won't be travelling backwards and forwards anymore form next Winter. Our current set will be staying at the apartment, and we will hire them when we go elsewhere.
snow report
Re the range of options available for flights, there is a good website that checks all the budget flight options available and prices - well worth a look - it's called www.skyscanner.net (sorry - can't figure out how to put this into an active web font)
snow report
Oops - i see that the wonderful snowheads server managed to do so all by itself! Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, that's true. Based on mates' experiences, I would now only fly with them as a last resort.
ski holidays
I booked my flights about 3 weeks ago and no mention of charging for skis. The very reason I booked with them is because they allowed 10kg extra for sports equipment. On my booking confirmation it confirms this so if they try and charge me I will be mightily p****d off!!
snow report
beanie1, we travelled only 3 weeks ago, and there was no charge.
latest report
It's a new thing. I booked flights in Jan no mention of it, but in looking last weekend it popped up. Funny they didn't bother to send an email or a press release on this announcement....
latest report
As I'm booked on EJ for the snowHeads bash,and I booked back in Nov 04,I'm going to check this out.I fully expect that EJ reserve the right to alter their terms,but I will press them all the same.Will post up any reply.I would advise you don't hold your breath wink
snow conditions
For you darksiders and surfers, there's no mention of a charge for snowboards or surfboards. . NOw, my skis are only short, so pass me the Slush and Rubble catalogue, and Ill oreder meself a snowboard bag.
ski holidays
Quote:

I fully expect that EJ reserve the right to alter their terms

If they did that it would be a bit like a restaurant doubling the price of the wine after you'd ordered your meal. Slightly controversial.
The time at which you seal the contract is the time at which all terms of the contract must be sealed ... I think.
[That's not to say that tour ops don't have that little trick of bumping on 'fuel surcharges' etc.]

Good luck!
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
The time at which you seal the contract is the time at which all terms of the contract must be sealed ... I think.

Correct. Terms of a contract cannot be altered retrospectively. Print-out and bring along to the check-in desk a copy of the terms at the time of flying out/back. No arguing on this point.
Cool
ski holidays
I'm sure when I turn up to the check in desk with E ticket booked in December for the end of season bash at PG's place they will sting me for a charge each way as excess baggage. I shall contact them to arrange ski transport don't want to have to store them at the airport cos they refuse to take them
snow conditions
They wont charge you extra if you booked before they stuck it on the website.
snow report
Depends. If the conditions of contract covered an addtional charge for items requiring special handling, then the notice on skis could be considered a clarification of existing terms. EJ might consider previous free handling as their generosity, and not binding as a precedent.
ski holidays
I've read my confirmation again. It says they allow 20kg plus 10kg for sports equipment but they reserve the right to charge a fee where manual handling is required and there is a link which takes you to the current updated Ts & Cs on their website. I reckon this means they may get away with charging extra at check in.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy