Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls like Marmite ?

Poster: A snowHead
Not salty, smooth, brown and a bit sticky obviously but when I saw this photo http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=55911#1346265 I was struck by my how my feelings towards the bumps have changed over the years from 'fear and avoidance' to 'love and affection' and finally to 'annoyance and avoidance'.

The picture shows what is obviously a very popular, picturesque and moderately steep mountainside and one which I would not even have contemplated at the start of my skiing career a few years back when even the sight of a few short waves of bumps on the otherwise gentle slopes that I enjoyed skiing at the time would have sent me into a panic. As the next few years went by though, I quickly learned to love the challenge of a mountain of moguls and came to relish the opportunity to bounce my way through the bumpy runs under chairlift pylons and popular couloirs. Over the last couple of seasons though (and I can't really put my finger on why), I now just get a vague sense of irritation when I come across them and most often use another route sometimes just to the side or maybe taking me (ill-advisedly Embarassed ) way off the piste.

Maybe because we don't get a lot of bumps in Scotland but we do have plenty of rocks, gullies, snowdrifts and minimal piste bashing then the 'other way' has become preferable territory but I think at the heart of it is actually the unaesthetic message that bumps send me now i.e. a thousand people have been on this snow before me.

I read some instruction texts, watched a few videos early on and took focussed lessons but they never told me that my feelings would eventually turn negative towards bumps but only that the more competently I skied them, the more I would learn to enjoy them. That just hasn't turned out to be the case as I found I reached a plateau of enjoyment and then slid off it again. Anyway, I was curious what other snowHead 's felt about bumps as their own skiing careers have evolved. Is this just a passing phase and will I learn to love them once more or do I just need to move on ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I tend to avoid moguls. Probably why I like skiing in Italy so much. Other than the laid back atmosphere, the pistes are very well groomed every day and all the nasty moguls demolished.

I can almost manage about three moguls in a row on an easy piste if it's not too icy but other than that it all goes horribly mogul-shaped... Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
moffatross wrote:

but I think at the heart of it is actually the unaesthetic message that bumps send me now i.e. a thousand people have been on this snow before me.

I read some instruction texts, watched a few videos early on and took focussed lessons but they never told me that my feelings would eventually turn negative towards bumps but only that the more competently I skied them, the more I would learn to enjoy them. That just hasn't turned out to be the case as I found I reached a plateau of enjoyment and then slid off it again.

You will find the zipper line of enjoyment again.

As you get older, the plateaux are further between, but do last longer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to hate moguls but as my skiing got a little better I learned to love.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't go looking for them, but I don't hate them - unless they are lorry-sized, icy and with a massive sheer drop on one side.

comprex, welcome back, stranger. You OK?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, thanks ... I think that's the same zipper-line that I never bothered to look for. Embarassed Cool

arv, as I said, I used to hate moguls but as my skiing got a little better I learned to love them too. Very Happy Then I learned to hate them again. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 21-10-09 18:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've always liked them. I dont ski them with style or decent technique but I like them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've never got around to loving moguls (but actively hate Marmite).
I've become reasonably competent at them but, for a very long time now, I have wherever possible avoided places where other skiers have already skied.
Like most guides I know, annoyance and avoidance is how I often feel - but I would still prefer some steep moguls to a boring motorway.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 21-10-09 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Moguls have been poo-poo ever since my skis were longer than 100cm. Big open turns for the win everytime.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think of new ways to ski them. When you have had lessons did you play in them with the instructor? did he take you down cat n' mouse style, following the same speed and line for as long as possible with maybe a 3 mogul gap. Great way to have fun and push yourself, especially around easter time when they are a little bit softer for envitable crashes! Its nice and intense! Just use someone slightly faster or with a different kind of line choice (or both) and you will learn to ski the bumps better. I have seen people improve hugely in 2-3 hr's using this method.

For me moguls are just getting more fun, you just need a willingness to push it and really go for the fall line on the less exposed/steep faces. Or mix it up again and do some GS turns airing occasionally when you spot a nice transition. This is why I love skiing bumps, they are incredibly varied and you dont have to 'hot dog' down them, just ski them in the way you feel most enjoyment.

I do hate them sometimes...just when I cant get in a rhythm or when they are full of horrid frozen lumps after a thaw/freeze cycle.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bumps are for chumps Little Angel (and definately not for old guys with bad knees) Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello all,

Been reading through here on and off for ages. Finally decided to take the plunge. Very Happy

As for moguls, I remember Tignes in the early 90's when piste bashing seemed to be low on the liste of priorities and the snow was pretty thin. Kind of got used to the monsters then. I often enjoy a good bash, however ungainly.

But there's little to beat a nice black mogul field with a foot of fresh powder that I found in Lake Louise a couple of years ago. Steep and big enough to be a bit mad and soft enough to go for it with added techno music Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

actually the unaesthetic message that bumps send me now i.e. a thousand people have been on this snow before me

It's alright to hate them, especially when you have the luxury to ski places that NOT "a lot of people had been before you". Very Happy

My order of preference is:

Best: fresh snow that few people had been (often time, the only such snow left are accessible by having to suffer through some rough stuff first -- hiking, down some steep gulley or a mogul field...)

OK: moguls, which some people had been but not too many of them stay on. I'm not very good at them at speed. But I can manage getting down leasurely.

Last: bashed pistes on a busy resort, where a lot of people ARE zooming about madly. Having to watch out for collision takes the enjoyment away.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can make my way down mogul fields without to much trouble, I just don't like doing it and prefer nice smooth stuff Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moffatross, how many times have you changed boots in the interval you speak of?
ski holidays
abc, no, best is snow nobody has skied. If you take a guide you can get it quite often.

PS Hi Comprex!
latest report
gryfon, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead

Quote:

definately not for old guys with bad knees

that's my view. skimottaret, but you're not old? Who were you thinking of?
snow conditions
They are not among my skills base yet, and I stuggle if left with no option, I couldn't cope with really big ones, but tend to ski smaller ones almost pretending they are not there letting which-ever ski needs to bend its knee and go over the top of the them, I hate turning between them (though if I understand correctly I think you are meant to turn on top of them where the snow is left). I have had one of two mogul field experiences though and enough to still be avoiding them out of preference at this stage of my skiing. If my previous experience is anything to go by I ski them best by getting cross with them and swearing out loud at them Embarassed I guess I ought to bite the bullet one day and learn how to ski them as a get out of jail card, but I don't know if I ski well enough to do that yet.
ski holidays
Lovely if you're on fairly noodly skis and in decent shape. Actually, probably the other way round as I'm fat and crap, but anyway...

I learnt in the late 80's and early 90's when moguls very much de riguer. Now I'm with el nombre, but getting over it. Verbier looks fun on those photos, but I'd wager it looks funner after a dump.
ski holidays
moffatross, I'm with you all the way. Used to love the challenge but now I find them akin to speed humps, uncomfortable and to be avoided if possible.
ski holidays
we love 'em - SmallW goes out of her way to find them - I guess aged 7 and with skis at whatever miniscule length they are makes it easier - certainly skis them faster than I do on the reds. Hasn't tried the blacks yet - I guess that's for this year (sigh) .

I usually aim to do one tricky black mogul run a week - just to make sure I'm still in the groove as it were. Usually in the Arcs 2000 bowl, underneath the Varet gondola. I guess a couple of times we'll do Grand Col ( Mrs W 's favourite run , where they can be the size of small cars.

The reason? - as one gets older it is too easy just to let the equipment hide the technique flaws, and to laze your way through the lack of fitness that you really would have done something about if ONLY you'd had the time...

A good pitch reminds you (hopefully!) you can still do it: the satisfaction of putting together a good thigh-screaming run is just magical.

- Of course these days, "good" tends to be in the mind of the skier as opposed to the eye of the beholder...

Is also is a good kick in the necessaries as to why you HAVE to get back in the gym between trips.

Nevertheless: Yeah Baby!
ski holidays
Moguls are the true test of a good technical skier. If your technique isn't good enough, you won't be able to ski them effectively or efficiently.

I love them although that makes no comment on my proficiency.

Powder days are lucky. Moguls are reliable.

Need I go on?
snow report
Good to keep them on the menu, for the sake of variety if nothing else. But a nice mogul field on a decent pitch is a great test of when you're in the zone, I think.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
abc, no, best is snow nobody has skied. If you take a guide you can get it quite often.
!

My bank account would hurt even more than my knees. Wink
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Moguls are the true test of a good technical skier. If your technique isn't good enough, you won't be able to ski them effectively or efficiently.

I love them although that makes no comment on my proficiency.

Powder days are lucky. Moguls are reliable.

Need I go on?

No one said anything about effective or efficient, that wasn't part of the deal. These days I'm happy if I arrive at the bottom at the same time as both my skis.
snow conditions
JimW, (sigh) indeed. I don't have technique, I'm not particularly fit and I'm old. There is therefore no hope that I shall ever get into the zone which your family inhabits so merrily. Sad

Cunners,
Quote:

These days I'm happy if I arrive at the bottom at the same time as both my skis.
Laughing Laughing Me too.
latest report
comprex, R555MAC, JimW,.... I can make turn after turn on a proverbial sixpence and have no fear for rough ground but I've grown weary of making turn after turn through icy or slushy man-made madness. gryfon commented earlier about deep powder-covered bumps being a different prospect altogether and I'd agree with that. When you've snow up to your middle and you're floating your way through the fluff, the bumps count for nothing. I'm a 5'8", less than 10.5 stone runner and cyclist with disproportionate quads skiing 167 cm all mountain skis so have the kit and physique to noodle my way through anything without getting fatigued but that doesn't stop me wishing I was sliding somewhere more 'interesting' when I'm halfway down a 1,000 foot vertical of car sized bumps.

For me, I don't think it's about technique, kit or fitness, more about attitude. Smile
snow report
Normally I love bumps. But I have been known to roll up in a ski resort whilst shockingly unfit. That makes moguls a nightmare.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, sounds like you have the wrong attitude...also, slushy bumps are the best bumps. Doesn't get much better than that.

Jonny Jones, good technique reduces (doesn't remove) the need for strength. Depends how fast you take them though.
ski holidays
Quote:

For me, I don't think it's about technique, kit or fitness, more about attitude.

I used to relish a day out sailing in quite rough conditions, bashing around, taking half an hour to get enough kit off to do a pee. These days? I do have the knowledge and technique to sail the rough water and high winds but I'd far rather a gentle reach and a glass of chilled white.

It's called old age, moffatross, Cool
ski holidays
under a new name, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. You say you love bumps, snowball says he doesn't and nor do I. I do like Marmite, snowball doesn't but I've no idea whether you do or not. I could tell you I like Marmite and tell snowball that he has the wrong attitude to Marmite and that he should like it.

Likewise I can tell you that I have an attitude to endless bumps that isn't positive and you can tell me that I have the wrong attitude. Lets assume then that both of us can descend a given field of bumps competently, safely, quickly and tirelessly, what I'm trying to get to grips with is what does the bump-lover see differently ? Puzzled

pam w, Laughing that's probably it !!
snow conditions
JimW, Those runs are indeed lovely. I'm only just learning the black art of moguls and often crash appallingly. I also use fattish slis with twin tips. Yet why can I never pass a mogul run? They are just so much thigh burning fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Lets assume then that both of us can descend a given field of bumps competently, safely, quickly and tirelessly, what I'm trying to get to grips with is what does the bump-lover see differently ?

"prove oneself" vs. "no need to prove"? Wink
latest report
I see what youre saying. If bumps arent up there on your terrain choice list I would say just avoid them. You might just feel a desire to get back in them once you've not skied them for a little while. I enjoy bumps a lot but skiing them for a full day isnt great, just like skiing piste all day isnt (except when conditions are exceptional and there are very few punters!) I enjoy the variety that bumps add to a day of skiing. Guess Im saying sometimes I just cba skiing bumps or I can be 'over them' for periods of time but this is never that sustained due to the eventual overwhelming desire to ski some more after days of perfect piste conditions.

Of course when theres a powder dump i wouldnt touch the moguls even if there were some to be found under the fluffy stuff Toofy Grin

We all ski for the enjoyment ( and personally I'd have to say partially the challenge and desire to improve, maybe even show off a little rolling eyes ) so ski in a way that you enjoy, moguls might be part of that enjoyment again, but, if not, does it really matter?
snow conditions
RPF wrote:
I've always liked them. I dont ski them with style or decent technique but I like them.

Same here Toofy Grin

Must admit, they're less enjoyable when they're taller than me & frozen solid (when you find yourself side-slipping down the face of an icy mogul, you do tend to question your choice of route) but even then, I have to go back & do it again just to make sure it was really that horrid Laughing
ski holidays
For me it is still that "Wow, I survived it" feeling! When I've got to the bottom of course - while still skiing, it is very much "WTF"? Not sure that is enjoyment, rather a thrill.
latest report
moffatross, I guess that for me, zip lining a nice bumps field is the epitome of skiing - intellectually & technically. It's not easy and if it isn't (literally) clicking, it isn't clicking at all.

Powder is lovely but much harder to get hold of consistently.

But it's a personal thing, if a lovely bump field doesn't do it for you, well fair enough.

I like Marmite too.
ski holidays
PS I HATE Marmite/Veggimite and I suspect all other food products ending in 'mite'...
ski holidays
R555MAC wrote:
PS I HATE Marmite/Veggimite and I suspect all other food products ending in 'mite'...

Agreed. Though my parents assure me as a child I used to love marmite, I do not believe them. At all.
snow report
under a new name, I think I understand you now too. Like comprex I think there must be a Zen thing that you and some others feel when they make a disciplined zipper line descent that just won't 'click' with me. Toofy Grin

R555MAC, I get your point about variety and don't disagree that bumps in moderation can be enjoyable but in a busy Alpine ski resort they're such an inevitability somewhere, most days that I never feel the need to search them out anymore. On Les Arcs' consolidated snow at Easter there were quite safe and 'near piste' ways off Aiguille Rouge and Grand Col that stayed close to but avoided the mass of skiers and all their damned bumps where you could still look back and see your own fresh snakey tracks on soft spring snow many days after the last snowfall. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy