Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flash avalanche wrist band

Poster: A snowHead
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but I have now got one. A pro-boarder friend says although unproven they are a great added piece of kit for safety. I hope I never need to use it.

See link below.

http://www.flash-avalanche.com/indexenglish.html

Also in case this has not been posted. A sobering vid for everyone to watch.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=243_1253823235

It is worth reading the full details about what happened as well to see how the Flash could help.
(Found this on the SCGB site, but might have been posted here in the past whilst I have been away)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting, not seen that before.

Not wanting to put you off your purchase, but do you think it's actually going to work? From looking at the pictures on their site the ribbons are fairly long (10m), and could spread out in all directions. If you got buried it might take a long time to dig out the whole 10m length to find you (assuming the worst case where the ribbon is at full stretch pretty much horizontally)...much longer than it'd take to locate your beeper and dig down.

I suppose your buddy could always try pulling the ribbon out of the debris by hand to get a clearer idea of where you - not sure if that's viable (guess it depends how lumpy the snow is). I suppose it can't hurt too much to have an extra bit of kit to locate you...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These type of things were discussed on here back in 2004
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=47329
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It could be very handy to narrow down the beeper search area.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The flash avalanche looks interesting - what deploys it? A small explosive or compressed air charge? If so will have the same practical problems as ABS packs for air travel.

I wouldn't be comfortable seeing people using them as a substitute for transceivers not least because you'd be pretty sick if someone died while you were digging out a ribbon and glove that had been torn off in the slide but as a visual indicator for transceiver search there could be considerable merit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, fair enough...I wasn't hanging around back then, how times (and names) have changed wink

I'm still a bit skeptical, but take the point that it might help narrow down the search area. I think I'd want my would-be rescuer to use a bleeper to actually find me, though, rather than trying to follow the rope!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On similar lines - why not an exploding bag of red dye? If there's enough of it you should see some trace on the surface.

You'd be less likely to have your arm trapped by those long tails. If you get caught you are supposed to use them to 'swim' your way to the surface and, if necessary, scrape an air pocket in front of your face. This is exactly why folks don't use pole straps when skiing in avalanche prone terrain.

Could be a bit of a mess if it goes off accidentally mind!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't really get it. Are you meant to yank the tab if you get caught in a slide? It says its autonomous but i can't see anything particularly autonomous about it. I can see the benefit of sticking ribbons to skis if you lose them in deep snow but not so sure about sticking them to people.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis wrote:
On similar lines - why not an exploding bag of red dye?...............

In the spirit of Viz and the present recession, why not save money on this idea and carry a sharp knife in your hand at all times and in the event of an avalanche cut your wrist. 2 benefits to this, one the rescuers will find your blood trail and if they don't you will die quicker than just suffocating Skullie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
el nombre wrote:
I can see the benefit of sticking ribbons to skis if you lose them in deep snow but not so sure about sticking them to people.

Why? What's different?

This way they can find your body without hauling out the Recco machine. Cheaper allround, larger estate to pass to your heirs.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Doesn't seem to bad an idea, gives the would be rescuer an idea of where to pinpoint you with the bleeper (I don't know how accurate bleepers are so I may be wrong). My main concern would be would you remember to pull it? Not a design fault with the product itself, but do you think you would think to pull it in an avalanche situation?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
I wouldn't be comfortable seeing people using them as a substitute for transceiver

Me neither, if you expect to be rescued you should also be prepared to rescue.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahem.... they are an addition to the beeper.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
Ahem.... they are an addition to the beeper.

Yep but if they are marketed on being "cheap" there will be the odd idiot who thinks they are the better option.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
apart from the gay website does anyone know if these will go around your lower leg/snowboard binding highback?
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
el nombre wrote:
I can see the benefit of sticking ribbons to skis if you lose them in deep snow but not so sure about sticking them to people.

Why? What's different?

This way they can find your body without hauling out the Recco machine. Cheaper allround, larger estate to pass to your heirs.

Well with the skis i meant that you'd have them trailing all the time. Isn't that how they use to do it in ye olden times? This looks a lot like you just have to pull on something if you get caught in a slide which a) seems a bit sketchy and b) not very "autonomous".
snow report
Whats wrong with 10m of red ribbon and a helium ballon. Cheap, the ballon keeps the ribbon upright and out of your way Smile
snow report
el nombre wrote:

Well with the skis i meant that you'd have them trailing all the time. Isn't that how they use to do it in ye olden times? This looks a lot like you just have to pull on something if you get caught in a slide which a) seems a bit sketchy and b) not very "autonomous".

el nombre, I agree that it's sketchy and not very autonomous, whereas the deployment of powder cords on skis is fully autonomous.

My (attempted) primary point was that spending money on devices for /after/ the fact of the avalanche is a game of diminishing likelihood of returns.

Having witnessed partial burials where finding the persons was trivial but restoring their collapsed chests was impossible, adding this device to my kit simply isn't worth it to me.
snow conditions
Quote:

although unproven they are a great added piece of kit for safety

That statement makes no sense.
snow report
Lizzard, I am stunned by the fact that I completely agree with you. snowHead
snow conditions
comprex, I am stunned by the fact you agree with anyone Laughing

The main issue with this piece of kit is you have to yank the cord to set it off, because if you got caught in an avalanche, would you pull it? No you'd forget whilst being carried off down the hill thinking "OHH S@%*!
snow report
anotherproblem wrote:
comprex, I am stunned by the fact you agree with anyone Laughing

Good point. I don't usually choose to be a part of consensus stampedes; I'm allergic to the crush. wink
latest report
madmole wrote:
Whats wrong with 10m of red ribbon and a helium ballon. Cheap, the ballon keeps the ribbon upright and out of your way Smile

you must have been watching the old ski movies, they used to do that????
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy