Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2009/2010

brian
brian
rayscoops, on its way, webcams on Monday = snowHead . wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, Post of The Day!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
genepi wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

Dead right - one for your "places to take punters for lunch list" will be at the bottom of the Parchay - La Vache. Lovely place, friendly welcome and now ski in/out.

And no I don't have a vested interest other than as an appreciative customer..

Lets hope they speed service up - we called in for a quick lunch one day & were still there 2 hours later Shocked

I'm sure Chloe will have that under control - after all last year punters would have had to work quite hard to find the place if they were on skis. Different of course for those with local knowledge wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian wrote:

I look forward to it - webcam on stand by
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian wrote:

Move over carled, you were right Cool .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rumour has it there's 4cm due today! Fingers crossed it continues!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller, carled is the student and from the darkside, Brian is the master Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There be snow on the webcams Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy,

glad to see you're back and mended. We'll be in 1950: 26th Dec - 2nd Jan, ( then possibly 16 - 23rd Jan) , then 27th March - 10th April. Catch up with you in George's? Or possibly on a piste somewhere!

JimW

PS after correctly guessing (!) 7 cm today in the 1950 village, j2 ski is predicting 7cms tomorrow, 15-19 on Wednesday and another 7 on Thursday.

Bring it on!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look forward to a drink or two at George's as well JimW, Laughing

Skullie Now for another update. Skullie

The snow has finally started to arrive. Almost a year to the day. A few cm's only but a good start if the weather stays cold.

A few shorts from the webcams.

The not so good news is that the resort do not think the TS du Gollet in 1600 will be replaced for next season which means the lower runs into 1600 will only be served by the TK Tommelet pomma if it is repaired in time or a long trek through the beginner area to use the main cachette chair out of 1600 to get back over to other areas. Not good. Mad

They are also now saying that the new télésiège du Parchey in Peisey Vallandry might not be open until 2011 as well. Sad

I hope these details are not correct. rolling eyes Means the 1600 end could be busy all the time at the main chair and Le vache will still be a bit of a trek for lunch. snowHead

Some better news is that the chairs have now been attached to the new Arpette lift and they have had a test drive. Laughing

Should be interesting to see what they will have open when the season get's going.

Now let's all start doing our snow dance so that we have another epic start to the season as last year.

I will try an do another update next week if I can get online.

Toofy Grin Happy Skiing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 photos from this morning in Arc 1950 which shows the amount of snowing falling through the tyre tracks getting covered.

9am

12noon
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Time for another update.

Some more interesting news coming out of the resort.

The emergency road has been finished and is a secure gated road connecting Arc 1800 to PV round the corner. I have not heard if they will be running buses along it in the winter, but as it is tarmac it should be possible or at least it gives a snow free walk in either direction if they keep it clear for emergency access. For those that are wondering, it comes out near the dump in Vallandry by the Service depot.

The lifts in 1600 are being worked on but with the current weather, although great for early skiing, it does not help them to get the lifts finished for the start of the season. Watch this space if I get any more news.

The same applies to the new lift in PV but they say it was not planned to be running this season anyway so we shall also have to just wait and see.

Another new development for the piste maps will be inclusion of natur ride areas, how they will mark these on the map or on the mountain will be interesting to see, they are not new areas just places people go anyway so they will include some as protected but unpisted areas. When i get the fulll list I will post it.

Finally with the current increase of snow predicted, there is pressure to open more lifts for the start of the season. I hope they make it possible to get over to 1950 and back without using buses.

Lot's to update next week. I will try to get more info by then.

For anyone that is interested, you can read more on the French web sites:

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showforum=43

http://www.peisey-info.com/

http://www.r-montagne.fr/rm/bdd/index_bdd.php

http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewforum.php?f=52

And please if you are better at translating than me, please do post here in English any updates I might miss.

Weather to follow:
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The snow conditions seem good still, although slightly warmer. If it get's much warmer the snow will go from lower resort areas, but on sheltered slopes there is now some skiing to be found although th base must be very thin still. If anyone has been out touring please do add something here for us all to share.

At the top of resort.

Looking up from 1950
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forecast for the next week is looking awful (as in good weather not awful weather which would be good weather) Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, yep looks like another snowless Christmas, first person to say global warming get's it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
globule swarming
snow report
Roll on 15th Jan... Snow sure.. isn't it???
snow conditions
New piste map - http://www.lesarcs.com/upload/2010_plan_des_pistes.pdf note it's a 15mb download. Hope they also issue as a jepg as they are much easier to zoom, scroll than a pdf

Pretty much as Snowcrazy notes above, Parchay only dotted and gollet missing. Some of the lifts around 2000 redrawn to try and make clearer although still not obvious that you can ski from the top of the marmottes to Arcabule???

Natur rides marked on all the obvious places - although bosses (black off derby) is marked as natur, yet last season was being bashed from time to time - does this signify a change of policy?

Picinic points now marked with an icon - reminds me of something but not sure what Blush
snow report
Arc 1600 looks very un-served without Gollet !!! I know it was not much used, but I will miss that ramp up to the start of the lift.
snow conditions
bertie bassett, [nerd mode]I know it's a bit of sideways approach to a problem but if you must have a .jpg rather than a .pdf, a freeware piece of software that I use to 'print' image files from any application on my PC will let you make your own directly from the acrobat (or indeed any) file. It just installs as another windows printer & all you have to do is set the resolution and file output defaults. Smile [/nerd mode]

http://code-industry.net/imageprinter.php
ski holidays
bertie bassett, Do you think someone in the Les Arcs Tourist office got a new 'natur' ink stamp for their birthday and went a bit mad?
ski holidays
ringingmaster wrote:
Arc 1600 looks very un-served without Gollet !!! I know it was not much used, but I will miss that ramp up to the start of the lift.

It was always amusing trying to get up there - but I did make sure I said bonjour to the liftie, as they were probably the most bored person in the domain.

Moffatross Cheers for that - I've installed PDF creation tools as printers before but not a PDF to JPEG, seemed to work ok although the quality isn't as sharp as a genuine jpeg but it is very usable. I use Picasa for my image manipulation, and their photo viewer is my default image viewer - I like the way with just moving the mouse I can move around and zoom in/out which is impossible with a PDF source.

TFC damned right!!
snow conditions
Another thing I've just noticed - previously they would have separate numbers for Les Arcs or Peisey Vallandry Piste Patrol - now they only have one number (the old Les Arcs number) covering both sectors, which strikes me as a sensible development.
ski holidays
Now the new piste map is out begs the question as asked here by allanm

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52299&start=40#1370294

The start of the Arpette lift has moved over a lot, if you go high above 2nd stage Transarc and Grand Renard lift which you can do from the 'Reches' run off Derby can you get to Arpette?
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, not a hope if you want to stay largely on piste, and I don't think it is possible even if you take a very high and direct off-piste line from the to of the Derby. Looking at the topo map it looks like there would be a a couple of uphill sections you would need to walk/skin. What's wrong with taking the Gd Renard chair or the 2nd stage of the TransArc to access the 2000 bowl from the top of the Derby?
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
What's wrong with taking the Gd Renard chair or the 2nd stage of the TransArc to access the 2000 bowl from the top of the Derby?

I find it a very boring (and flatish) run into the bowl from grand renard, prefer to go down to Vagere and in via Arpette, also Grand Renard not always open.
snow report
thefatcontroller, yes, it is flat, but good for practicing carving skills...? Gd Renard seems to be open when there is a bit of a queue for the 2nd stage of TransArc, but closed if it's quiet. Don't know if this is deliberate or just coincidence.
ski holidays
rob@rar, You lost me with the word 'practice' Confused wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, Laughing
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller, yes, it is flat, but good for practicing carving skills...? Gd Renard seems to be open when there is a bit of a queue for the 2nd stage of TransArc, but closed if it's quiet. Don't know if this is deliberate or just coincidence.

Laughing I thought it was opened when the Trans Arc had broken down, but maybe that's the co-incidence
latest report
Boredsurfing, it wasn't broken, they saw you coming and shut it down.
snow report
rob@rar, Toofy Grin

Boredsurfing, No its often open just not many realise its actually there and queue like muppets at Transarc?
snow report
thefatcontroller, Yep never quite understood that queue Very Happy When I had my high speed wink introduction to Les Arcs it was just a blur as we headed to the Gd Renard Laughing

rob@rar, Possibly, but it's entrance is uphill AND involves taking ski's off so not a lift I would choose given a choice Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
No its often open just not many realise its actually there and queue like muppets at Transarc?

Ssshhh. That's "local's secret no. 412" don't give it away!
latest report
it was always closed on a saturday last season...
snow report
moffatross, great link thanks, allanm, thefatcontroller, as rob@rar, says not a hope of getting across to new arpette unless you really know the route. It is off piste and up hill in places but it can be done if you like the challenge. There is a footpath which gives a stable base to ski along if you know where to find it. During the last week of the season we use this route to get back to the Funi quite often as they close the links and want you to go on the bus back from Arc 2000.
snow report
All the Natur ride routes are old black or red runs. Nothing really new at all. Here is a challenge to everyone.

Very Happy Which runs are no longer marked on the piste map at all this season or have been re-routed? There are some changes, have you spotted them? Very Happy

I do not mean the Natur rides, they are still black or red unpisted runs. Have fun Toofy Grin
snow report
Now for an update of snow conditions.

Not worth the effort of adding pics I think. It has become warm again with rain up to 2000m and most of the snow turning to slush or melting. There has been a bit of fresh snow above 2500m but not much. It is expected to get cold again by the end of next week, "Retour du froid possible vers le 28/11" . But until then good for winter hiking or with snow shoes but not much good for your skis, at least in my view (I like to look after my touring skis).

If anyone does get out in the coming days do please post what it looks like. I am stuck in the office until next week.

Not much else to update right now. One little note, it seems the Holski pass is worth getting just for the insurance if nothing else. Season carrie neige 19E. Must be ordered by by the end of November if i remember correctly. But check the small print.
ski holidays
Quite, the webcams are looking very sorry now, out in three weeks, oh my the tension!
snow report
snowcrazy, where do I get the season Carre Neige from? - In the past iirc it was restricted to members of ski clubs?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy