Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs or Flaine? Anyone offering accommodation?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, welcome to my first post.

After a year of skiing/boarding fridges, my wife and I are planning our first ski trip in the great outdoors sometime in January.

Some (experienced) friends are off to Les Arcs Jan 23rd to Feb 6th. We are tempted to join them, but are also thinking of Flaine, seems a bit cheaper (budget is a big issue).

Can anyone offer advice?

Also, can anyone offer acommodation?

Thanks.
Rich.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi rookierich, and welcome to snowHeads. Can't help with the comparison really, but congratulations on your first trip! I've skied the Grand Massif and Flaine quite a bit and you would have a thoroughly enjoyable time. It is often more reasonable budgetwise than some of the other French megaresorts too, although a few of the mountain restaurants can cost a pretty packet. It's pretty easy to take picnics though, or if you're staying in Flaine itself you could ski back to your accommodation for lunch.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi rookierich, welcome to snowHead
I've been to Flaine but only ever skied Les Arcs from a La Plagne base therefore can't really comment on Les Arcs to stay.
If your complete beginners, then Flaine has a few free lifts and therefore you may not need to buy a lift pass until you have progressed, thereby saving a few days cost.
I'd probably look around for a learn to ski holiday, they tend to include everything for much cheaper than the total for everything individually.
Bare in mind smaller resorts tend to be cheaper and being a beginner you don't need somewhere big unless your're looking for big nightlife.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rookierich, welcome.

I have been told by the booking dept. that if you are looking in Flaine, the new P&V ( ex Intrawest) apartments are FULLY BOOKED until mid March. Which is not a lot of use per se, but may save you some time on the hunt.

And is also I think, an interesting comment on the potential state of bookings this winter - seems awfully early to put up the " full" signs, which could be a good thing for the industry, if not the last minute bargain hunters.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rookierich, If you are interested in the development JimW, is talking about I might be able to help you out - I have availablity so long as you don't want half term/Chistmas/new year. PM me for more info.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Arcs is a compact hill - so it wouldn't be hard for your experienced friends to ski back and join you for lunch from time to time. However once the lifts close it's a different story and you really need to be staying in the same village as them, in order to meet up for a beer. If you are going to share accommodation then I would definitely suggest Les Arcs as the experienced skiers can help you through some parts of the process that might appear baffling initially such as renting skis/poles/boats etc. IMHO Les Arcs 1800 and Peisey-Vallandry are the best locations to learn in due to the orientation of the slopes, but not everyone will agree with me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it was me, I'd try to join in with the friends, especially on a first ski trip. Might make the whole thing more fun.

I've been to Les Arcs but not to Flaine so can't comment on the differences between the two.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have skied/boarded quite a bit in both places. They both have there good points, snow by the time you are planning should not be a problem in either place based on recent seasons. There are good deals with tour ops or self catering in both places, so you should find some bargins if you hunt around. Some snowheads have places in Les Arcs for self catering. Hope they will read this and post here for you. This is still just the low season period. Les Arcs gives you a bigger choice of skiing/boarding with the added area of La Plagne for a day out. Good for all standards of skiing and boarding, plenty to keep everyone happy. If you are boarding, Les Arcs is better with less flat bits. La Plagne can be a pain if you do not know your way around as can Flaine. For night life, Les Arcs 1800 is the best, but in jan can be quiet everywhere unless the Uni are in town. What ever you decide have fun.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice folks, another group of friends are off to Arinsal in Andorra, so as its cheaper, and probably a bit more suited to beginners I think we will change our plans and head out that way, spend the money on the alps when we can exploit the slopes there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arinsal - Andorra - perfect for beginners. Les Arcs is too good and Paradiski too big to make the cost of the lift pass worth it for beginners.

Andorra for you - perfect. I couldn't agree more. Enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No, but I hear there are some nice Guest Houses in the Lake District.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy