Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using Tesco vouchers for the channel tunnel?

Poster: A snowHead
I am slowly coming around to seriously considering driving to Austra over Easter.

It looks like I can use Tesco vouchers to pay for the tunnel crossing.

Has anyone done this? does the amount of vouchers I need to use vary depending on when I travel and if I book now or wait?

Are the vouchers flexible, ie if I miss my booked crossing, can I get a later or perhaps earlier one?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, Vouchers are worth 4 times face value against a booking, whatever the cost of the crossing. Normal T&C's apply, they will let you on up to 2 hours either side of your booked time, room allowing. In practise I think they are more flexible. I''ve booked for easter using vouchers, covered £100 of the £150 cost.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, yeh I'm aware of the 4 times value thing, so presumably it's similiar to budget airlines in that the price increases the longer I leave it, and I just pay the going rate rather than fixed price from Tesco??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, Yes I think their prices vary according to time/day of crossings also, booked mine in late June

19.50 on 26th Mar - £73
15.20 on 7th Apr - £79

and I had £25 of vouchers so had to pay £52 in cash also.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, First you need to convert your vouchers to deals vouchers on the Tesco website, once you receive them, you will need to call Eurotunnel by phone to book the crossing. Price will be the same as booking online without vouchers.Extra cost payed for by credit or debit card
No fixed Tesco price. Once it is booked, you need to send them your vouchers with the booking form, make a note of your booking reference too. They will send back confirmation by email. YOu need your booking ref and the card you paid any extra charges with to check in.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, Don't think this has been mentioned above. You cannot use the Tesco Clubcard tokens to purchase the Chunnel FlexiPlus fares, only the Standard type.

I think you'll find the prices do vary in different time of the day. They are not different because of the Tesco element and do not get cheaper or more expensive nearer the time. Waiting wont help, it just means you may risk there being no 'slot' available if you want to travel at a particular time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There were some cases last winter where SnowHeads were unable to book their choice of crossing with their deals vouchers , as they were told that the Tesco voucher allocation was full for that time , and they had to choose a different date or time. I've always booked well in advance, and have never had a problem.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Done this several times - once booked is like any other crossing. Have got on earlier and later trains, up to 6 hours earlier in one case. Once couldn't use them as allocation was used, so if doing it do as early as possible
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Prices definitely go up near the travel date. Whether this is purely because it's not far away or because they are getting busy I've not been able to work out. Prices do also vary according to the time of day.

We booked for Easter some months ago (with Tesco vouchers), and the price was the same for "peak time" easter crossings as for "peak time" crossings any other Friday night/sunday afternoon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont wrote:
There were some cases last winter where SnowHeads were unable to book their choice of crossing with their deals vouchers , as they were told that the Tesco voucher allocation was full for that time , and they had to choose a different date or time. I've always booked well in advance, and have never had a problem.

Happened to me last Xmas, had to pay for outbound leg as allocation of space for Tesco customers was full. Was like going on the Sun £9.50 holidays but paying the full price. Laughing Laughing

Also there all in one insurance is pretty competitive, if you don't have euro cover on the car.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RobW, seems to be linked to how full the train is. In January, I tried to change my crossing, to get home in time for hubby returning from hospital by plane. The trains I need were full, and the ones either side ( too late or too early) were extremely expensive. I ended up with an equally expensive SeaFrance crossing on a very empty ferry (work that one out). Insurance eventually agreed to cover the cost.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks all, so perhaps another daft question, I assume I drive on, park up, then am I stuck in the car, or can I walk around and grab a coffee, stretch my legs???

Thanks for the tip re insurance Kel, does that cover breakdown or just insurance??

regards,

Greg
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, you can grab a coffee in the terminal building (bit like a motorway service station). Starbuck's, Pret a Manger, Burger King, stuff like that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and yes you can stretch your legs once on the train whilst enjoying your coffee!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

do not get cheaper or more expensive nearer the time

they do sometimes get more expensive - and can be much more expensive last minute - within 24 hours, or even worse if you turn up on spec.

If a whole trip is cancelled you can completely re-book the crossing, without penalty, though only within a year of your original booking (not the original crossing) so if your dates are very likely to change there's something to be said for not booking too early, if it's not too busy a time.

given how very flexible the ordinary fares are I can't think why anybody would pay double for Flexiplus.
ski holidays
kitenski, If you want to eat/ drink your own stuff on the crossing make sure you take it out of the boot before loading as sometimes they park you too close to open the boot esp if you have an estate or hatchback. Crossing only takes 40 mins so by the time you've queued for the loo and had a quick slurp of coffee you're pretty much there.
ski holidays
We have used our vouchers to book the train, price just depends on what time crossing you want. We had to change ours and it cost £19. I used £40 worth of vouchers and received £160. In terms of food we arrived late and were directed straight to the boarding lane, there was a burger van that served the best breakfast in a bun (bacon, sausage and egg) and a hot cup of tea, heaven, set my husband up for the long journey ahead. Already booked for next year.
snow report
Take a vacuum flsak ane enjoy a decent coffee on the train Toofy Grin
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
given how very flexible the ordinary fares are I can't think why anybody would pay double for Flexiplus.

We've had flexiplus courtesy of tour operators a few times and it's great to be able to drive onto the next train whatever time you arrive. Last Easter we came back three days earlier than booked (was unsure when we needed to be back) and they didn't bat an eyelid.

But I agree we unlikely to go for flexiplus if we have to pay the usual rate.
ski holidays
kitenski, Check on the Eurotunnel website for their current prices. If you do a dummy booking for the date and times you are looking to book it will show you more accurate crossing times and availability. Bear in mind when travelling that check-in closes 30 mins before departure. Hope this helps Smile
snow report
Avago, I always have the booking page open on the website when I call them.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, with another tab open on snowHead Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 19-10-09 22:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Anyone know how financially the vouchers work for the supplier, in this case Eurotunnel.

You use say £50 of vouchers and Eurotunnel give you £200 fare for nothing. Do Tesco pay them something, must do I suppose but Tesco ain't famous for giving money to suppliers. Anyone know how they work?
ski holidays
Avago wrote:
Helen Beaumont, with another tab open on snowHead Laughing
I couldn't possibly comment.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, With 19278 posts, me thinks you might be very good at commenting! Laughing
snow conditions
Avago, Laughing Laughing Shh....................
ski holidays
thefatcontroller wrote:
Anyone know how financially the vouchers work for the supplier, in this case Eurotunnel.

You use say £50 of vouchers and Eurotunnel give you £200 fare for nothing. Do Tesco pay them something, must do I suppose but Tesco ain't famous for giving money to suppliers. Anyone know how they work?

No, but they are the best way by far to use your Tesco vouchers.

You pay the price of the crossing, unlike other organisations who enrol in the scheme who have an inflated Tesco voucher price.

I went to the Hiton Trafalgar square earlier this year, sure the room rate was £219 a night for B&B paying with the vouchers. But you could get the same room for about £250 for a 2 night weekend break.

So it's only good value, if you have the full amount in Tesco vouchers, because if you make the shortfall up in real money, it could end up costing more.
latest report
Kel wrote:
Helen Beaumont wrote:

Happened to me last Xmas, had to pay for outbound leg as allocation of space for Tesco customers was full. Was like going on the Sun £9.50 holidays but paying the full price. Laughing Laughing

Also there all in one insurance is pretty competitive, if you don't have euro cover on the car.

Just remembered the Tunnel was operating on a reduced service last year, due to the tunnel fire. Which might have something to do with having a limited allocation for Tesco vouchers. Have used the tunnel several times previously with vouchers and never had this restriction, even when booking peak summer season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, yes, I had forgotten about that, but I think (not certain), some people had trouble before the fire happened.
snow report
Quote:

it's great to be able to drive onto the next train whatever time you arrive.

I've always been able to do that with the ordinary tickets - even several days before booked. Sometimes you have to pay a bit extra, but only if the crossing you're going on is more expensive than the one you've booked. Because tickets booked with Tesco vouchers are so cheap, I always book for the most expensive part of the day, which minimises the likelihood of any extra costs.

Very good tip about getting stuff out of the boot. snowHead

I do 3 or 4 crossings a year all paid 100% with Tesco vouchers.
latest report
Quote:

Prices definitely go up near the travel date. Whether this is purely because it's not far away or because they are getting busy I've not been able to work out. Prices do also vary according to the time of day.

It is the Multi fare Explorer model... and it is all about supply and demand..
when the train/plane/boat is filling up, the prices go up...

That is why they are cheaper nearer the front end of the booking.

You don't charge premium prices on an empty vessel. Ways to keep the prices down longer is to book unfavourable or non-peak times but when places are full, they are full, of course.
snow report
JT, doesn't explain my £190 fare on a half-empty SeaFrance crossing, P&O were even more pricy. Agenterre did the booking for me, and checked out all of the prices in advance before doing it
snow conditions
Any idea when you receive your tesco vouchers? Want to go on eurotunnel in feb and use as many vouchers as possible for this crossing....Also not sure what car we are taking yet as hoping to get a new one in jan, when you book with eurotunnel do they need to know the make and model etc or can the make and model be changed if you do get a new car after booking if that makes sense Very Happy
latest report
winnit, welcome to snowHead

I think (but stand to be corrected) vouchers come quarterly. Booking Eurotunnel with them is a bit long winded, but worth it, in that you have to send the vouchers off to get a coupon from Tesco, then call Eurotunnel to book, then send the coupons to them.

All Eurotunnel want to know is whether your car will be over 1.85m i.e. whether you are in the double deck trains or single. If you will be taking roofbox etc, may well be overheight. To the best of my knowledge, there is no price difference.

You may already be to late to get Feb crossing, if going half-term, there is only a limited number of Tesco places available and they go quickly
latest report
winnit, there should be some being sent out this month I think, my last lot came in August, and I think it is every 3 months.
latest report
Our Tesco vouchers came in the post on Friday Very Happy
tis quarterlry
Quote:
Once you have collected 100 Clubcard points, you will start receiving Clubcard vouchers in your quarterly statement
https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/login.asp
latest report
Boredsurfing, Had £120 of vouchers Friday. Ideas please to spend £120 as tunnel(s) already booked. Confused
ski holidays
Quote:

you have to send the vouchers off to get a coupon from Tesco

you can do that bit online now, which makes life easier. Having driven back yesterday, have just this morning booked my next return (Dec/February) and parcelled up the tokens to send off to eurotunnel. Incidentally, if you use their 01303 282061 number it saves you an expensive call.

Wonderful eurotunnel - turned up three hours early yesterday, in the pouring rain, busy weekend (end of half term) and got straight on a train two hours earlier than we'd booked. It was blowing a hoolie, would have been horrid on a ferry, but was quiet and peaceful on the train and I had a badly-needed 30 minute nap. There was an announcement I'd never heard before which seemed to say that the train was in the middle of the tunnel and travelling at 140 kmph. Can that be right? It always seems to just trundle. Maybe it was 40. The announcement was in English, but I was three-quarters asleep. In fact, maybe I dreamt it as the OH didn't hear it.
latest report
thefatcontroller, Have a look, the sell by date on the vouchers is a couple of years?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Have a look, the sell by date on the vouchers is a couple of years?

30/11/11
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy