Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tele mounting *prepares for long technical, incomprehensible answers*

Poster: A snowHead
Because I seem to have an inbuilt desire to make my life more difficult than it needs to be, I have just bought myself some telemark kit.

On their way to me:
Scarpa TX2 boots (08/09)
22designs Hammerhead bindings (09/10)

Now, I am a complete novice here, so advice please as to where I mount these bits of steel and rubber band. Other info you may require:

Skis: Icelantic Nomads from 06/07 @ 156cm (105mm underfoot - probably too wide to learn on really, but it's what I've got)
Skier: male, 5'6" (and a bit), 11 stone (and a bit more than a bit), 30 years old (and a bit more than a bit more than a bit)
Boot MP: 26.5

Tele-steezers, I await your baffling responses!

Cheers,

Zammo
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Telemark Tips is probably the best place for this question teleJONG Failing that spyderjon will probably be able to tell you something incomprehensible like "ball of foot on centre effective edge" or "pins on chord centre". The most baffling part of the latter being that modern telebindings don't even have pins. I'd think Jon or even kiwi1 might have some thoughts re geometry of the Nomad too.

http://www.telemarktips.com/BindingMt2.html.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to add - better get them mounted up quickly so you're ready for 31 Oct wink.

oh and try emailing Icelantic - they've got lots of people running them as teles so will have a view themsleves.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's easy. The pin line should go at the balance point of the ski. On my twin tips I normally then go forward 2 or 3 cm to compensate for the extra weight of the tail.

Another method is to take the boot center (measure heal to pin line / 2) and then stick that where you like the skis mounted (is same as alpine).

See how the two methods compare, drill & mount... Remembering that tele is ALL about the pow you don't want to be too far forward but a slightly forward mount will help turn initiation.

Haha. Fat tele snowblades. GAYBOY.

PS. We ALL know how awesome I am but I spent 10 days learning to tele on a 190cm 84mm underfoot then mounted 112mm 191cm. You can touch me by PM if you like.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh, balance point = balancing the ski on something. Technical, I know.

And good luck with TT, I've tried a couple of times to sign up but they're all too stoned to sort it out. Hippies.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, thanks for that. As predicted, I am pretty baffled, but perhaps if I keep on reading the same stuff over and over again it will start to make sense! I tried to mail Icelantic but both my mails bounced ....

parlor, you are truly a God of all things mountain-related. However, the invitation to touch you by PM, while tempting, is something I'm just going to have to walk away from - I'm just not sure I would trust my self-restraint. Are you mounting your Redeemers tele? I do hope so, just so you can show us what they're all about wink Despite your insistance that all 5'6" of me should be learning to tele on something at least 190cm in length, your balance point explanation almost makes sense so thanks for that!

I'm off to Hampstead Heath ... with my 'blades' Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zammo, I hope to have some tele mounted Redeemers at some point in the future. The next tele ski for me will be the Preachers, and maybe in a 179cm. There I said it. The first ski I've owned <180cm since I was 12 years old. Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:
zammo, I hope to have some tele mounted Redeemers at some point in the future. The next tele ski for me will be the Preachers, and maybe in a 179cm. There I said it. The first ski I've owned <180cm since I was 12 years old. Wink

Ghey!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parlor wrote:
It's easy. The pin line should go at the balance point of the ski. On my twin tips I normally then go forward 2 or 3 cm to compensate for the extra weight of the tail......

Yep, on flat tail skis it's pin line on the chord centre & move forward to adjust for length of twin tip/boot length.

zammo, mounting telebindings on your Nomad's is a doddle as the ski is already marked for them rolling eyes. Many of the Icelantic staff are telemarkers (including the georgeous Anna) so they've really got the mounting points sussed as follow:

The A mark is the pin line for boot sizes of 29 & over
The B mark is the pin line for boot sizes of 26-28
The C mark is the pin line for boot size 25.5 & under

Simples.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, I was wondering what the letters meant and now I know. Many thanks for your help with that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zammo, Use the template provided with the bindings and you won't go far wrong. Make sure you get them straight along the length of the ski. The heel piece WILL fit together, you just have to keep trying wink

Don't overtighten the cables - the binding provides plenty of support. But do wrap some tape around the adjustment points, because the cables can loosen themselves while you are skiing - changing leads to a ski that is no longer there is quite entertaining Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, you've made an overly optimistic assumption re: my DIY skills. I barely trust myself with a hammer and a picture hook, let alone skis and a drill bit! That said, I will ask my local shop if I can lurk while they do them so I can see how it comes together (or not).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
zammo, Make sure your local shop have mounted tele bindings before.. and they know and understand about the mounting points !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
parlor wrote:

Haha. Fat tele snowblades. GAYBOY.

I got fat rockered reverse reverse convex(keel) tele snowblades.

Wanna felch?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, kinda.
ski holidays
parlor, check the tech drawings:

snow report
comprex, looks like the cross section of a small model sailing vessel. Wink
latest report
parlor, I was thinking more along the lines of japanese sekkibune, you know: doesn't stray far from home, pretty slow, hunts for whales?
latest report
zammo wrote:
ski, you've made an overly optimistic assumption re: my DIY skills. I barely trust myself with a hammer and a picture hook, let alone skis and a drill bit! That said, I will ask my local shop if I can lurk while they do them so I can see how it comes together (or not).

If you're feeling brave then you're welcome to come over to my place and I'll help you do it. I have everything required.

(I've done three pairs - so at some point I surely must get one pair right!)*

Drop me a PM if of interest.

*Just joking!
snow report
I've used a pencil under the ski to find the weight neutral point and spit that with ski length then promptly drilled right through the ski with my duct tape stop, gotta watch those metal layers. It skied really nice but looked kinda funny from the bottom as I gave it pit viper holes. Who says you need the right equipment to go too far. Embarassed

parlor, Tua telemarks 210cm maybe a whole 70 underfoot w/Asolo snowpines, that'll center a guy right up. Don't know why you've got such problems at TT.com but you may have hit the joint on the cherry.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy