Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes, Autumn interseason & winter 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard, OK, I get the picture. Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski wrote:

for the first time in 18 years (AFAIK) the navettes were stopped this morning

Wasn't LDA cut off by a huge landslide at Mont de Lans yesterday?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, let's not exaggerate. The main road into resort was blocked by a rather small mudslide for approximately four hours maximum. Access was still possible via the Travers (all day) and the Venosc road for an hour at midday and a further hour in the evening.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richard E, Sections of hill that run between the legs of the Chemin des Demoiselles. there are 3 parts - I've posted lots of pix on this thread over the years. It used to be marked (but not pisted), but I think they stopped it because you have to get down onto the chemin and cross it and some peeps probably landed on top of hapless beginners!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, thanks - it may sound strange to some people, but with only two weeks before we arrive in LDA I am visualising, with the help of your descriptions and the photos you post, the areas I want to ski. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard E, Visualise away. But I wouldn't recommend Les Posettes at the moment unless it gets softer.

Nice sunny day today, but a sharp wind seemed to get up in the afternoon. I wasn't up the hill.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard E, doesn't sound in the slightest strange to me - I've been doing just the same! Those lucky enough to live out there just don't quite understand rolling eyes wink wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Butterfly, I think it's not a question of not understanding, but of not being able to go back to those days and those feelings. Sad really.

It was fair-ish this morning and looked for a bit as though it was going to cheer up. The sun poked through for at least half an hour. Unfortunately that was it, and it clouded over again and has been spitting with snow ever since. It's still very cold and there's still a stiff-ish breeze at altitude. Not horrid, just not nice. Sad

here's a pic I snapped while skiing down the last leg of the Chemin des Demoiselles.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I know what you mean and the grass is also of course always greener.... wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was a lovely day today, but cold. I went to Les & Laux. the snow is better here, but then we're much higher. See http://www.easiski.com/blog1 for the full report with pix. Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, lovely report Smile enjoyed reading it as Les 7 Laux is one of those places I'd wondered about. That kind of chair lift with an occasional gondola is called a Telemix, I encountered them for the first time in Feb in Montgenevre where they had a couple of them. I think the idea of them is to make the resort a bit more little kid friendly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, It certainly made it more Easiski friendly! I've never seen one before - good idea though. Very Happy

Sunny this morning, but I'm dead tired, so not sure at the moment whether I'll go to Chamrousse today or not, but today is deffo the best day looking at the weather forecast.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That kind of chair lift with an occasional gondola is called a Telemix

There's one here. We call it a Chondola. It's used so pedestrians can get up Mt Fort although obviously skiers are also allowed in the cabins.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was sunny and cold yesterday, but I went to Chamrousse for a looksee: http://www.easiski.com/blog1 for a full report. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, don't forget, we'll be there a week on saturday, so if its still cold on the friday before, throw a few more logs on the fire! Cool
snow report
Decent sort of day today, but it looked a bit windy higher up. I've been enjoying my first actual day off for about 5-6 weeks. Very Happy (well, apart from office work of course) Shocked
ski holidays
Thanks for all the updates on conditions, I'm getting pretty excited!

How many Snowheads will be in Les 2 Alpes next week then?
snow report
MagSeven, 4 on my offpiste/moguls course, Mrs Fragy, and Mr & Mrs Aztec that I know of.

I was up skiing here today on my teles. It was a fabulous day, but Oh so cold on the glacier. Sad I didn't have either my thermal liners or my boot heaters in, stupidly thinking I'd be warmer telemarking! My toes disappeared altogether. Sad OTOH the snow was great. Very Happy

I found what must be one of the highest altitude skips in the world, and also took a nice photo of the Lauze in full action again, with the Rateau behind - stunning. The skip is there because they're totally rebuilding the Muretouse lift at the moment, so I also took a photo of what the foot of one of the pylons looks like. Hopefully you'll find it interesting.

The snow all the way down was Ok, there were hard patches, but not as hard or as frequent as Les & Laux earlier in the week, and I skied Dome (top of), Serre Palas, Mura, Jandri, Grand Creux, Gours and then the Chemin des Demoiselles. Once down the Champamé and then back across town. I'm afraid I alpined the Chemins, but most of the others I did sort of manage to telemark although not very well. I was quite proud of myself as the steeper sections of Gours are well steeper than anything else I've ever tele'd. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, I'll keep my eyes open for you all off piste, and in the moguls! Do you wear a uniform when instructing - What colour should I look for?!
snow conditions
MagSeven, Just listen out for shouted comments from a chair to someone below who's supposed to be practising! She has eyes everywhere and always manages to be overhead when you're making a right horlicks of something Laughing Laughing

Can't wait for our week - I leave here for there a week tomorrow snowHead snowHead

easiski, where is the Muretouse? Can't see it on the piste map. How much of the pylon leg is underground? Say hello to the Fragys from me - or will they still be there when we are?
snow report
Quote:

where is the Muretouse?

I can point you to the run Twisted Evil
snow report
Swirly, naughty!

Butterfly, Looking up the Puy Salié part of the glacier i's the furthest left of the higher lifts. I wouldn't have taken you there then - lift sets off too fast!

Nice again today - I'm aching from head to foot from the telemarking yesterday. will go to the nursery slopes to practise for an hour at lunchtime though. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
It was sunny and cold yesterday, but I went to Chamrousse for a looksee: http://www.easiski.com/blog1 for a full report. Very Happy

Just read your trip report - sounds delightful. Out of curiosity I looked it up on GoogleEarth and I can see why you felt a bit alone on the track from Séchilienne - what a wild place that is!!
ski holidays
Swirly you're so kind Toofy Grin Laughing

easiski wrote:
Butterfly, Looking up the Puy Salié part of the glacier i's the furthest left of the higher lifts. I wouldn't have taken you there then - lift sets off too fast!

Ah, it could be the one simply marked "C" on my map. Sounds like the Petit Prince in AdH which introduced me to the big-air definition of "take-off" on a Poma, complete with laughter from Mel behind Shocked. Oh and NO - I didn't fall NehNeh
snow report
b]Red Leon[/b], Didn't just feel alone - actually was alone!

Butterfly, It doesn't appear to be marked, but if you look at the DAL map and see the top of the Dome the lift if just to the left of the red line.

Nice day today, warm (well - it's relative - about +5 in the sun in the middle of the afternoon) sunny all day. Very Happy I only went as far as the Gentiannes where I practised some telemarking for an hour. very pleasant. Photo looking up the Gentiannes to the l'Y above it.
ski holidays
Totally fabulous day today, all day. Everyone was so happy to see sunshine and warm temps. Very Happy The snow was good, but quite hard onthe Cretes and top part of Diable in the morning. However the top part of the Combe du Thuit was fab winter packed powder (in the shade most of the day). Very Happy Skiing down the Chemin at after 16.00 was interesting and it was icy in the middle of the path, but the bottom of the Valentin would have been nice if it wasn't for all the out of control idiots all over it. rolling eyes A traverse to the bottom of the Belle Etoile was well worth it, and the bumps weren't big there and had nice soft spring snow + no people! Very Happy Getting back onto the traverse path was a different matter though! Shocked

Pic looking up the blue Grand Cretes to the Rachas beyond and above.
snow conditions
Amazing first day in Les 2 Alpes. As easiski said, wall to wall sunshine and nice and warm. The goggle tan has already started!

Spent alot of the time in the snowpark (which is all really well shaped and laid out), but also ventured off around the mountain for a few hours in the middle of the day. I don't know the mountain well enough to know the names of the pistes! Snow seemed to be in pretty good nick apart from the odd hard patch. The run back to resort was fun, particularly as we managed to time it to coincide with the masses descending from the Panorama bar!
snow report
Sunny this morning but slightly colder than yesterday. Cloud started to roll in about lunch time, but plenty of blue sky between the clouds. The hill is nice and quiet too. Have been looking out but still haven't spotted easiski and her group.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MagSeven, First thing I'm on the Viking at the bottom, and then I'm on the Cretes to start the lesson and then move off. It's impossible to hope to just come across someone - the mountain is too big (even the glacier is too big to find a particular person on!) We will be meeting at the Patache take-away at the Cretes a bit before 11.30 for the group lesson. also back there again about 14.00. Very Happy ps: we're all dying to know if you're male or female!!

Puzzled

As MagSeven, said it was nice and sunny in the morning, but a mix in the afternoon. There was less wind than yesterday, and I had 2 fewer layers on and was fine. For a while on the Cretes I only wore a headband! Shocked Must have been warm. Everyone on the hill is really happy to have some warm and sunny weather at last.

The snow condition above 2,200m is good, the Cretes itself is hard but not icy. l'Y was very hard with some nasty icy bobbles, but other nice bits. I came down that with Mr Lizzard who was doing his first black ever on skis. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The boy done well. Very Happy Pic looking back up l'Y from the bottom
snow report
Quote:

I came down that with Mr Lizzard who was doing his first black ever on skis. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Must have been the day for it, I went out on skis for the first time this season and decided to ski home which involved my first black on skis for 14 years, whether what I was doing counts as skiing or if the run is really a black (it isn't) is up for debate. Nice one for Mr Lizzard as Y isn't a soft touch outside of perfect fresh snow.
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
For a while on the Cretes I only wore a headband!
Shocked

Swirly wrote:
if the (l'Y) run is really a black (it isn't) is up for debate.

I thought all the runs down into town (except Desmoiselles, of course) were 'proper' blacks. They certainly look steep to me!
ski holidays
Red Leon, if you read the first part of the sentence it becomes apparent I'm not talking about Y at that point, as I go on to say:

Quote:

Y isn't a soft touch
snow conditions
Red Leon, He meant the run he did! l'Y used to be a red called La Rouge when I first came here - very steep for a red, fairly steep for a black, especially when icy and covered in bumps with frozen bobbles on!

Lovely again today, but that pesky wind was up again just so we couldn't get the T shirts out. Sad distinctly chilly when you got onto the exposed spots. Lovely sunshine though and good snow above 2,400m with packed powder bumps to the left of the Lac Noir chair. Very Happy
snow report
Ha ha, I'm male.

We'll try and come past the Patache at 11.30 or 2 and keep our eyes open!

Another beaut today eh!
latest report
MagSeven, That's what I said! Laughing Pollyperks thinks you're a girl! Will be meeting at Patache about 11.15 to set off at 11.30, not sure where we'll be meeting later, I might change that one.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
Red Leon, if you read the first part of the sentence it becomes apparent I'm not talking about Y at that point, as I go on to say:

Quote:

Y isn't a soft touch

It matters not but I have re-read what you wrote and it isn't apparent that you were referring to anything other than l'Y. The fact that you subsequently congratulated Mr L for skiing l'Y and said that it isn't a soft touch doesn't give any indication of whether or not you had skiied the same run as him.

[/pedant] rolling eyes

easiski wrote:
...so we couldn't get the T shirts out. Sad

If the forecast is to be believed it'll be warm enough next week for you to wear a T shirt & shorts on the hill - provided the rain eases off occasionally Shocked
ski holidays
Red Leon, the fact my location says Nendaz could be considered the first clue.
latest report
It's been a very nice day again today, and as the wind dropped it was positively hot at 14.00 at the Toura. Very Happy the snow was good at that altitude, and also on the Gours and wet, deep and heavy slush late in the afternoon en route down the grand Pente. It's quite hard below 2,400m though.

Pix of the Viking nursery slopes this morning which had been beautifully prepared and also of some work going on to one of the jumps at the slope style part of the snowpark - look at the size of the thing! Shocked
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
Red Leon, the fact my location says Nendaz could be considered the first clue.

Laughing It would be an absolute giveaway if I knew where Nendaz was...
latest report
Red Leon, Next door to Verbier.

Nice day again today and very warm, albeit with a fair bit of wind on the glacier. I had to hold my hood over my hat to stop it blowing off all the way up the Signal chair. Shocked The nursery slopes were well prepared again this morning, and the snow on the glacier was very nice. dome was excellent and the bottom of the Echines was fantastic - firm but not too bumpy. Very Happy the 'hidden valley' had some lovely bumps with powder in the ruts, and although it was quite tricky getting out of the bottom at 'Zotov's leap' due to the avalanche that came down a couple of weeks ago, it was quite do-able. Very Happy gours on the way back to the Cretes was also very nice.

Later skied down with Mr & Mrs Aztec and David Ash Great fun - Belle Etoile to half way then traverse to the ridge at the skiers right of the Grand Pente. Lovely soft spring snow with small bumps, easy to ski and I wouldn't have thought of taking that route, so thanks Aztec Very Happy

Pix of Zotov's leap - not nearly as narrow and steep as it often is, and also of Fragy taking a photo of Mt Blanc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy