Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes, Autumn interseason & winter 2009/10

Poster: A snowHead
At least 10cms overnight and still tipping it down now. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sat at work this morning, I got a call from my uncle who was having a morning coffee at the top of the Red Eggs. Lots of snow but viz not great. Sounds like its been a good week for snow though with yesterday being the highlight.

22 days to go!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good to hear that the top-up of white stuff that was ordered has arrived Cool

4 weeks today till we set off snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Extra day off for bad weather, hurrah and indeed w00t! Knee deep powder all over the pistes. Pity I spent most of the day the wrong way up. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Hi easiski..... keeping my eye on your updates, enjoying the photos!!

Saving for a wedding, but think Iv managed to talk H into a trip next year!!... Enjoyed L2A tremendously, cant see any reason not to visit again...... I'll be calling on your services at some point, im sure!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulW, Glad to hear it! Quite right - you can't let the wedding stop your skiing! Laughing

As mentioned above, shedloads of the white stuff falling all day long - very bad viz especially later in the day when the fog descended on the Cretes. My gloves were soaking and then froze!! Shocked Nice snow, but it'll be better tomorrow. It's stopped now.
Pix: top of the little green run from Champamé to Petite Aiguille; Mont de Lans; a neighbour's car when I came home.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, Looks brilliant!!!!!!!!!!! hope you have loads more, 3 weeks to go snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski.... i have been following your weather updates. i'll be arriving later today (saturday) and here's hoping the weather will be better this coming week snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
well it was lovely and sunny this morning but very cold again (we all wish it would make up it's mind). Hours of backbreaking shovelling later it's snowing again, albeit not very hard! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I did take a photo yesterday, but it didn't save for some reason. In any case it was warm and sunny on the nursery slopes in the morning. Very Happy However there was high wind at altitude, and even on the Cretes it was severely unpleasant. The wind got higher, the sky clouded over more and more, and it got progressively colder. Sad Really not nice at all. Sad It's sunny this morning but the wind is still there, so I'll be wrapping up very well!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today was really quite pleasant, in spite of a brisk wind higher up. The top of the two man Cretes chair was a bit chilly, but only the top and the rest was lovely and warm. Down in the village in the afternoon it was positively boiling (probably above 0degs!). Laughing It had snowed another couple of inches overnight, and the fresh was very pleasant.

Pix looking over to Auris from the first corner of the Chemin des Demoiselles and also looking through the fence there to the huge hole on the other side of it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fair bit of snow overnight, difficult to tell how much without getting out there though - several cms though. Brightening up a bit now and not too cold, but wind again at altitude.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tipped it down all day, mostly incredibly heavily. couldn't see much even in the village. I did all lessons down here as it was clear the viz would be nil at Cretes and above! Shocked The new snow is very heavy and gluggy (nice technical term), hopefully it will improve tomorrow, but it's still pelting now. At least it wasn't cold. Very Happy
Pix of morning; afternoon (where's the town gone?) and the snow on the silver birch outside my house! Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gluggy - good word Laughing. How's young Ioda doing this year by the way - has he calmed down a bit overnight these days? His white counterpart here seems to have Spring in his system - keeps yelling his knickers off to go out, then yelling at me because it is too cold for his delicate constitution. rolling eyes

The peacock has pretty much got his full plumage back and we expect the peace to be shattered any day - he normally starts yelling mid-late Feb.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, Ioda has been good lately, and doesn't mind the snow, but tends not to spend so much time outside when it's actually either snowing or -20!

Lovely weather this morning once the snow had stopped and I had first tracks down the Grand Cretes with 10 cms of powder on the piste - lovely. Very Happy Obviously the snow got pisted quickly by the many skiers, but I made a mistake of trying to ski the Grande Pente at around 13.30 Shocked The snow was more than knee deep and so heavy you couldn't move, so I had to go over to the Valentin which was not nice really. Silly me - should have gone Posettes. Sad

It snowed again hard mid-late afternoon, but has now stopped and isn't particularly cold. Sad

Pic of the weather coming in today, and a stunning sky that I had lost from Sunday. Shock
snow report
Not very nice today. The warm wet night had frozen and there was lots of ice etc on the nursery slopes. Fortunately lots of cannon snow as well. Very Happy It started to snow around 12.30, and by 15.00 this had turned to rain. It's still raining. Sad Sad I assume it's snowing hard higher up though Very Happy
snow report
easiski, the forecast is for quite a bit of rain lower down over the next week or so and quite mild.
ski holidays
Richard E, The rain turned to snow overnight, so we'll see what the conditions are like when I get up the mountain later.
snow report
Well, today was very windy which was a shame, but not cold. there was about 10cms or more of very wet snow in the village this morning, and watching people skiing Rachas it was obviously quite good but very deep indeed (at least mid-thigh). Very Happy The day was very in and out, but apart from the wind was OK. We had heavy snow showers but it's now colder and the fresh snow that's fallen in the last few hours has been very silky. Very Happy

for the first time in 18 years (AFAIK) the navettes were stopped this morning - very slick frozen roads apparently which were too slick for only rear chains! Of course my students were stuck at the far end of town with small children ... bah! Got there in the end though, because I'm a nice person and didn't hold them to their published time. Very Happy

2 pix from the top of the grand Cretes chair of pretty views, and a photo of the road towards mine showing how much snow there is at the side of the road.
snow report
today has been pretty grey, the temps have stayed around freezing which means all the frozen mush is still frozen. rolling eyes Lots of work with the ice breaking shovel thingy today. Sad Busy, busy in town with lots of new arrivals (Parisians for the most part), and the snow clearing men and machines just haven't been able to keep up. Shocked Piles of snow everywhere, and about half our parking places are not clear. Oh well - maybe it'll stop soon for at least 2 days so we can catch up. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Rain and very high winds all night. Obviously we were on the edge of the storm, but it was still pretty impressive.
snow conditions
Today started very badly after the storm in the night. It was pouring! It get ease off into showers during the morning but was still wet and unpleasant. Eventually (about 14.00) it started to clear up a bit, and eventually we saw some blue sky - whoopeee! Very Happy

the snow was, not surprisingly, very wet and heavy low down, but I didn't venture off the nursery slopes today, so I have no idea about higher up. If it freezes tonight (it was a bit colder later int he day) it'll be dreadful first thing, but I shall be on the Cretes so hopefully it'll be OK up there. More then.
snow report
Today was lovely. Very Happy Although it did cloud over a bit in the afternoon, it was high light cloud so the viz was still very good. The snow, of course, was very hard in the village and on the cretes too. I don't know how high you had to go to find softer snow, but I heard that Bellecombe was still crispy. We're expecting another nice day tomorrow before the snow comes back. rolling eyes
ski holidays
What a beautiful day today. Very Happy It's been sunny and relatively mild (-14 on the glacier), and the snow above 2,500m is just wonderful. Unfortunately the snow below this point is now really quite hard and there are positively icy patches around. Sad Of course this is only to be expected after the rain and the re-freeze. There was about 3 cms of fresh on the mountain and so the off piste parts of the glacier were very nice for my 1st steps to off piste ladies. Very Happy

It's very hard underneath though, and I would be worried on some slopes about potential slides if a skier/boarder breaks through the crust. There have been huge avalanches everywhere, many of them natural over on the Ecrins, but the local ones have mostly been 'provoked'.

Unfortunately I forgot my camera this morning and the phone was having a hissy fit about photos, so here's one of the mountain from outside my house. Also one of my man-made stream to let the melt water run off my road. Note the thickness of the solid ice on the road. Shocked
snow conditions
We had snow on snow today! It started just as I left home about 09.45, and continued all day quite hard, but with fine flakes. During the time I was on the Cretes it laid down about 5 cms or maybe a bit more of nice powdery silky stuff on the hard piste. Very Happy Of course we're all a bit sick of it, and where the road was almost clear near my house it's now covered in snow again - too much shovelling thank you! Shocked

In point of fact though, after the recent rain we do need a decent dump to cover the harder snow that had appeared, and the end of the week is supposed to be sunny. Very Happy
snow conditions
This morning was quite OK above about 2,000m in the morning. It was cloudy, but the visibility both distance and definition was fine. there was a monster fog in the village - and it's still there! Sadly there didn't appear to have been any snow during the night, but it started again around 12.30. It looked as though it was closing in higher up, but it wasn't cold and it was quite still. Very Happy

snow on the Cretes, Descente, Demoiselles and bottom of Valentin was very good, as was the off piste snow between the Diable and the Descente. We found about 15cms on a very smooth hard base there. Very Happy Very Happy

Pic from the bottom of the Vallons chair looking up at the Tete Moute and the SuperDiable chairlift.
snow report
easiski, Thanks for the pictures, hope the snow keeps coming, not long for me to wait now Very Happy
snow report
fragy, 2 weeks to wait for me! There still isn't a suitable "boing boing" smiley!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

This morning was quite OK above about 2,000m in the morning.

There was no telling them that though. No madam, I'm afraid I can't refund a day of your seven-day pass because you don't like the weather. No, it isn't 'unskiable' - all the lifts are open and people are skiing. Yes I know it's foggy. No, I'm still not going to give you any refund.

Some irate chap called one of my colleagues a 'pute' the other day, loudly and in the middle of the main ticket office beccause she wouldn't give his daughter a discount pass without her student card. Shocked Bloody Parisians, can't wait for them to go home.
latest report
Lizzard, How very rude of him! Shocked Shocked

It's clear today but looks windy. it's also very cold again and snow is blowing off the Tete Moute. The Venosc fog is rising and will cover me here in a few minutes, but at least I was up early enought to see the sunshine higher up. Very Happy
latest report
Lizzard, rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
easiski, I reckon the sunshine is holding off until we get there in two weeks... Cool
snow report
Sack the Juggler, We had lots of sunshine today. Very Happy Sadly, we also had lots of Northerly wind and very cold temps. Sad the snow was good everywhere, but it was really a war of attrition.

Wind slabs are forming and the pisteurs closed the Serre Palas and then the Envers du Signal. They let us through though and we were the only 3 people on the whole of the Breche - nice! Very Happy A short off piste to the side of the Grand Creux, followed by a leisurely descent of the Gours, enjoying the views and the more sheltered spot finished us at the Cretes for choccy.

I then made a huge mistake coming down by trying the Posettes - ouch! Very nasty frozen lumps and ruts under lovely powder. The trouble was you couldn't see most of them and the legs took a huge pounding even doing one turn at a time. Sad Bottom of Valentin was nice though, and with the wind behind the traverse across to the Diable side was accomplished in record time. Laughing

I took 4 pix from the middle of Breche here's one showing the Toura/Lac Noir area. I will post the panorama on my blog - not worth posting here as it will be too small.
snow conditions
Lizzard, I have Parisians staying in my apartment this week, I am waiting with bated breath for the end of the week, apparently they were very demanding when they arrived, and asked to be let in early, but not a word of thanks to my apartment cleaner for being there to clean so early Usual arrival time is 3pm, and it was only possible as previous guests were leaving early. S had to be there at 7.30am to have the apartment ready.
Week before we had Parisians too, but they couldn't have been nicer, and are booking for next year.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, last week's people were fine on the whole but this week they have been rude, grumpy and apparently incapable of having any kind of a good time.
snow conditions
Thought I'd better start looking in on this thread, half term out of of the way and only 3 weeks before we leave for LDA.
ski holidays
easiski, where is les posettes? I can't see it on the piste map.
ski holidays
Richard E, it's not a piste.
latest report
Lizzard, is it an off piste area next to the valentin?
snow conditions
Richard E, it looks like a random piece of hillside to me, frankly. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy