Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski 20 mins from Geneva Airport!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Did you know that there is decent skiing within 20 mins of Geneva airport?

I was there last March and can confirm that the linked areas of Crozet/Lelex are surprisingly extensive for a few hours skiing. They are ideal for arrival and departure days for those with hire cars. Morning and afternoon ski passes are available - including a late bird one from 14.30 - and all for 20 euros or less. Certainly beats an hour in a snowdome!

The access gondola track at Crozet is clearly visible as you get off the plane at Geneva. All of the skiing is above the gondola (then up and over the back into the Lelex valley - see pistemap link below) - so don't worry if the access doesn't look too snowy!

Here's the website:

http://www.lelex-crozet.com/en/prm/index.php?site=2

Access is from France - head for Ferney Voltaire and then Crozet is signposted.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting. However, many resorts are ideal for arrival and departure days to/from Geneva. It is easy to do a full day skiing at many of them (including Chamonix) and then go home in the evening. This is not an adequate reason to avoid better ski areas.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, I didn't read it like that - just that a few hours here is a better start or end to your ski holiday than a day not skiing e.g. if you're going to/from Tignes say.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict,
Quote:

surprisingly extensive for a few hours skiing

snowball,

Quote:

This is not an adequate reason to avoid better ski areas.

mountainaddict, is not suggesting that we avoid better ski areas but is saying that Crozet is good for a few hours skiing. He's definitely not suggesting we spend a week there instead of the Espace Killy!

He's saying that you can land at Geneva and ski for an hour or two on arrival day - before heading off elsewhere - or ski there on departure day.

We landed at 1pm at Geneva last season and were on the gondola at Crozet 65 minutes later. This season we'll be squeezing in a few hours skiing there before our 14.30 flight home - after spending a week in the 3 Valleys then our last night in a hotel near GVA airport. wink

The ski area has a few surprisingly long red & blue runs and a decent vertical drop. And a bargain €24 day ticket.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
interesting, what of season do they get, is it stop/start as the snow comes/goes???

I often see lifts on the approach to Geneva out of the plane window, always wondered what the resorts were Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski,

I think Crozet opens about a week before Christmas then stays open continuously until at least the end of March.

Well worth a visit to extend your skiing holiday (at either end) if you are travelling further afield than Chamonix, the Portes du Soleil etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crozet-Lelex is a great little resort. A little further NE along the Juras there is La Faucille which is linked to Mijoux on the other side of the range; these are a little larger and better. I have had a few half-days skiing at each of them. Both areas are low compared to the big French resorts, but the skiing is good for a few hours. The skiing is probably excellent for novice skiers. Much of the both areas has skiing on tree-lined pistes. I have skied there in brilliant sunshine and looked down upon thick clouds covering Geneva and the lake. Given the areas closeness to Geneva it gets busy. There are huge car parks and there can be quite a walk to the bottom lifts. Queues can build up on the lifts. Skiing there can be cold, I think because the air is very moist compared to the higher Alps. There can be quite a build-up of frost on structures at the top of the resort area.

In July 2004 the Tour de France passed through (or close to) Crozet and then crossed over the Juras via the Col de la Faucille.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK, yes if you are just there for a few hours.

Bergmeister wrote:
[ before our 14.30 flight home
but why not take the 21.00 flight (or whatever easyJet do this year) and get more skiing?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another option is La Dole, just a few Km's further east from La Faucille. As you fly in you see the big white radar ball/weather station on the top.
New chair went in 2 years ago which drops you just below the ball. Fantastic views of Lac Leman and all of the alps on a clear day.
Cheap day and half day passes. Nice tree lined runs, enough for a day out anyway.
I use it when there is a big gap between a departure transfer and my next arrival.
Parking is better than La Faucille and less crowded. About a 35 minute drive from GVA Cointrin.
Will give Crozet-Lelex a try next time to compare.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am coming into Geneva for some meetings on the 18/19th Feb, which is UK and French half term.

I could possible fly in on the 17th and get half a days skiing, are these local resorts likely to be heaving with folk or not? I'd probably prefer not to ski rather than spend hours in queues....

Cheers,

greg
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'd probably prefer not to ski rather than spend hours in queues....

When we were at Crozet/Lelex it was late in their season (mid March) and very quiet. Dunno about Feb hols:~/

I seem to recall that in the late 1980s, when 40 min queues at Scottish ski areas were not unknown, the Ski Scotland brochure read:

"There's not a ski area in the world that's not busier on a weekend - and queuing on a mountainside definitely beats queuing in a supermarket....."

Quite funny - but true - and often borne in mind since Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the late 80's early 90's used to live in sight of Crozet and the Col de la Faucille, which is above Gex - terrible place to be based but somebody had to do it Toofy Grin

It was rare for either ski area to get major queues except at the height of the French school holidays when there was an overlap of different school zone/area holiday weeks. But then again every resort in the area was just as bad ( this was the time to go to CH to ski at the weekends ).

I have had some fantastic days on the Jura especially after a new fall of snow over the 400m line.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers all, sounds like it maybe worth an afternoons ski then.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried Crozet a few weeks ago for a sunday morning, but the chair was shut due to high winds so no access to the north facing area. It is a friendly enough place, again with stunning views on a clear day. Got to try Col de la Faucile next.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm ok this year, sensible flights and no hanging around but what if you didnt have a car is there any public transport to these areas?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy