Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Residents season pass?

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

Looking at getting my portes du soleil season pass. Just wondering, €760 for a season pass but it has another for €571 called a residents season pass?
Anyone know what this is and how your eligible to get one? €200 would be nice to spend on other stuff!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
properjob, is it possible that to get a residents season pass you have to be a resident, and that you prove this by showing someone documents such as your tax bills?

Just a hunch.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whoops! There's me thinking they're exclusively for non residents, thanks for the sarcasm!
I mean is having seasonal accomodation enough or do you have to be an all year resident, a resident for so many years, French?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
properjob, You need to be an owner, I'm afraid, & you need to show proof of tax bills & electricity bills paid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Genepi, worth finding out. Less shiney new kit for me then! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm pretty sure I got a resident's pass with my rental contract while I was in Morzine - couldn't tell you for 100% certainty but we definitely got some discount for taking a rental agreement in.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh right, so it maybe worth going to the office when I get out there rather than booking online?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
properjob, If you are getting there before 1st Dec. Most places offer a discount for passes booked online before that date.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the P du S website says there's a 10% discount for buying before the end of November - a bit of digging should discover whether that applies to season passes. We get about 30% discount buying before end November and there are no differences in prices paid by residens/non residents. A phone call to a local tourist office should reveal all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
properjob, We buy PDS season passes each year - with the 20% reduction for residents. We took some bills down to the ticket office with us the first time we did it but it just seems to get renewed each year now by taking in the previous year's pass. Photo sits there for ever as far as I can see, me getting older and older...

The website does say that there is a 10% discount for buying early but I queried this and got the following reply:

"The 10 % discount “early booking” Portes du Soleil is applied only from 5 to 30 consecutive days.

I f you want to purchase a resident season Portes du Soleil, you have to buy it in our sales desk in the resort. You can’t buy it online.

The prices are the same than last year."

Certainly many other areas do give reductions for buying early, and as pam w, says, some places just give this with no distinction between residents and non-residents.

Always worth a try taking some bit of paper with you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
genepi wrote:
properjob, You need to be an owner, I'm afraid, & you need to show proof of tax bills & electricity bills paid.

Lucky you. Even being an owner in Laax with bills to prove it doesn't entitle us to the residents' discount. It would have to be our primary residence rather than a second home to qualify Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch, and for us in Serre Chevalier too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eng_ch, do you pay local taxes? That's what we need to get a Carte de Residence in Chamonix, and thusly resident's discount.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, only a small proportion - second home tax, tourists' tax, tax on deemed income from the flat.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, I pay the same local taxes as a permanent resident. I have a feeling the davidof said on here last season that permanent residents discounts were illegel if they were not offered to other residents? Not sure I'd want to be the one to challenge it. Might drop into the Mairie when we're over at the end of the month though.
latest report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
under a new name, I pay the same local taxes as a permanent resident. I have a feeling the davidof said on here last season that permanent residents discounts were illegel if they were not offered to other residents? Not sure I'd want to be the one to challenge it. Might drop into the Mairie when we're over at the end of the month though.

There was a court ruling on this back in 2006, I just found the story

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0645-cheap-lift-passes-for-locals-ruled-illegal/

not sure where we are with this. I expect most resorts will just ignore it as they do in France.
latest report
Just got my pass yesterday and the rental agreement was enough to get the discount. It was 600 euros, not quite 571 quoted above but much better than full price.
snow conditions
That is the PDS pass BTW
ski holidays
davidof, apparently Monetier residents still get a discount, but it appears that Briancon ones pay the same for a season pass as everyone else.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy