Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just 1 More Run?

Poster: A snowHead
Silly question (perhaps) - but if you were offered one last (ever) run on skis which one would it be?

Assuming I couldn't go for waist deep powder in Alta, Utah and was restricted to "normal" conditions and marked runs I think I'd go for "Jerusalem" in St Martin de Belleville for high speed, thigh burning hell.... Toofy Grin

Not a bad run to finish on (IMO) Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I mis-read the title to mean last run of the day. However, given consideration these two would vie for your meaning

Val Thorens. Fourth Valley.

Or Glencoe, Spring Run.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
North Face of the Matterhorn.

That would definitely be the last (anything) ever, but what a place to go!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK (VD) top to bottom with nobody else on it to ruin the drop offs, morning if possible, oh and some snow on the trees to make them extra pretty.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bergmeister, too difficult.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Something long and spectacular and slightly scarily steep in part. How about the Bellecote North face? About 6,000 ft of vertical
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad karma. The 'just one last run' invariably leads to broken limbs or in my case skiing of a drop in flat light and smashing my head backwards on to an icy slope and tearing all my neck muscles (thankfully had helmet on).

Can I have a second last run please Laughing . If so mine is simple and sad. Pierre Blanches in La Plagne. Its not a hard run (7km of red and blue) it just holds many happy memories. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I'd go for the happy memories of great people I associate with runs, too. The blue run down from the top of Flaine is one. Both of the classic runs down La Grave. Off-piste above Le Fornet. The Lauberhorn. Black Rock (ar Wengen). The Kandahar at St A. The run down from the Plein Sud at VT. Happy times. What? I have to choose just one? Oh, I can't. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Valley de La Manche, provided Marks Crapahute was open for a cold beer after wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Point de Vue at Argentiere - and (strangely for a last run) early in the morning.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, I am with you on that one and would stop off at Le Sauget for an apero with the owners Pat et Gerard Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mouth, A favourite lunch spot of ours wink Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect I would decline the last ever run. The need to ski diminishes with time. The more I ski, the more I want to ski.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serpentine in Flaine (the first top to bottom I ever did on skis) , Cucumelle in Serre Che, or perhaps Yret, Eychauda, Combe Rateaum Chaume, Rochamout, Aya (top to bottom in Monetier).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SussexSnow wrote:
Or Glencoe, Spring Run ...

.... preferably on a blue sky day with deep fresh snow right back down to the car park. Very Happy
latest report
This won't help my cool ratings but the one I'd do would be the farthest left red run (that runs into a blue) in Cervinia. Not hard but usually deserted and completely spectacular.

If not that, then possibly Combe de Vallon in the 3V.
ski holidays
Last run ever? the home run Soll, with no one on it. It happens once per year if your lucky so if it's my last run it should happen. If that's not empty then the back bowls in Lake Louise, and if thats not empty this one will be pezid-vertikal Serfaus

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 19-10-09 12:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ah, the pierre blanche - that was the first 'proper' run I skiied (well, after the plain bois) - I was so chuffed when I got to the bottom without falling over Smile Also love Le Sauget - stuffed marmots and all! They always appear with another beer just when you've decided you've had enough and were about to head back to Montchavin...
ski holidays
I agree with achilles and Helen Beaumont about Serpentine in Flaine. It's great fun and normally is the very last run for us in Flaine but even for a blue it can be a hard one if your legs have had it.

Tulipe in Les Gets too.
snow report
Lou wrote:
I agree with achilles and Helen Beaumont about Serpentine in Flaine. It's great fun and normally is the very last run for us in Flaine but even for a blue it can be a hard one if your legs have had it.

Tulipe in Les Gets too.

You beat me to it - I was about to vote for Serpentine as well! Or Mephisto Superieure on to Mephisto in the same resort.
ski holidays
Tabuc, Serre Chevalier. Was the last piste I skiied last season.
latest report
Quote:

North Face of the Matterhorn.

I heard this has recently been reclassified to a purpley blue, due to the slightly technical entry point.
snow report
mfj197 wrote:
Lou wrote:

Tulipe in Les Gets too.

You beat me to it - I was about to vote for Serpentine as well! Or Mephisto Superieure on to Mephisto in the same resort.

Oh yes that one too, particularly superior section. Love Faust too, but better with fresh legs.
snow report
Everest or maybe K2, depending on conditions.
ski holidays
There is a good run in the Skiwelt, down to Itter, which in intermittent bright sun and deep shade and given excellent snow has the combination of woodland track, steeper sections and open pistes which when hanging on the tails of 4 or 5 mates trying to beat one another top to bottom, can satisfy most of the senses and leave you with the biggest grin of the day.
ski holidays
In Europe - the beatiful La Longia between Selva (Santa Christina) and Ortesi. It starts above the tree line with the fantastic views of the Grupa Sella and then winds its way down through 9km of treelined red run.

For north america it would have to be Blue Sky Basin at the back of Vail (can I count playing around in one basin for a day as one run please?)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 19-10-09 17:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
For me it's The "Hidden Valley" in the Dolomites - peace and nature at its best.
Although I may linger for ever at "Scotonis" as the horse tow at the bottom reminds me of something else. Smile
latest report
Lou wrote:

Tulipe in Les Gets too.

It was the end of my first weeks skiing, and I would love to go back and do it again someday. We'd had awful weather all week , but on the Friday the sun came out, we skipped afternoon ski school and headed off with the rest of our friends. That's when I 'got it' and realised why everyone was addicted to skiing. It took us most of the afternoon, but the feeling of achievement at the bottom was sensational

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oddly enough it wouldn't be the run itself, but who I'd do it with. Yes the snow needs to be fantastic, the view needs to be spectacular, and the sun needs to be setting after a fantastic day's skiing but it's who I do it with.....
ski holidays
Serpentine in Flaine holds many happy memories for me too. Had my first ski holiday and like Helen Beaumont suddenly "got" it trying to follow a more-experienced friend.

However, like the OP, Jerusalem's rollers are a bit special so that's what I think I'd go for.
snow conditions
Freddie Paellahead, haven't yet skied on Jerusalem.
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:

The best lasagne in the Alps and an epic tree lined descent. I am with you both, on the run and the restaurant.
snow conditions
The problem with Jerusalem is that every time we ski it we always do it at least 3 times on the bounce.... adn this is supposed to be my last ever run.
snow report
Now I'm excited thinking of having Lasagne in La Plagne in December Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
This may sound a little lame but I would go back to Zell am Zee and re-live the Black run down to the city express gondola. Embarassed

This was my first trip to the mountains, it was picture perfect conditions, sun, powder, the trees heavy with fresh fallen snow and the last
day of my first ski trip. A trip which if im honest changed my life. Blush
snow conditions
Quote:

I heard this has recently been reclassified to a purpley blue, due to the slightly technical entry point

of course you can take the less technical hornli ridge to the start point, in this case its probably no more than a green
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

The best lasagne in the Alps and an epic tree lined descent. I am with you both, on the run and the restaurant.

Ah yes that leads me to the story of mrsfatcontroller in January in Le Sauget telling me the plat du jour spoken very fast by the waitress and translated by my darling wife was veal. Yummy I said and I'll have a plate please.

On my plate arrived veal, well kind of veal. It was in actual fact the boiled tongue of the calf with some rice and tartare sauce. Yes, boiled, pale tongue, not even trimmed tongue it was the whole tongue. I ate the rice, drank my pint, chewed some baguette and swore all afternoon at mrsfatcontroller and her shoite translation. She nearly pissed her pants she was laughing so much at the lunch table.

Been back since but stuck to burgers, shall try the lasagne, though never the plat du jour again Skullie
ski holidays
Laughing
latest report
Jerusalem or Peak-to-Creek in Whistler
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great story FC. Ah, the waitresses. Another reason to vote for Le Sauget and Pierre Blanches.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy