Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any tips for finding hidden gem accommodation?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I've seen little hotels or guesthouses/chalets away from resort streets but in great piste-side locations - often close to the middle gondola station. Sometimes we have stopped for lunch in them and though 'wouldn't it be great to stay here'. I may have had my rose-tinted goggles on but they always look really cosy and romantic (if a little isolated if the weather isn't great). When I think back, it may be mostly an Austrian thing but I'm not sure.

They are definitely not the kind of thing to turn up in a TO brochure. Apart from local knowledge is there any tip for landing one of these? We haven't done enough skiing to go back to the same place twice yet so places I've spotted to date are no help.

Rebecca
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MissRibena, there is a place in Serre Chevalier like that called Relais de Ratier. On the Serre Ratier plateau at the Chantemerle cable car mid-station. There is also the Pi Mai in Frejus village which is even more isolated.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski station web site normally has an accomodation list + map, then use google maps to check exactly where they are in relation to the lifts, town etc
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MissRibena, I have been thinking the same! We were in Switzerland in the summer and spotted one or two places up the mountain we thought would be good to stay for skiing. I would try the tourist office website of resorts you are interested in, the swiss ones usually list the on mountain accommodation separately. Also I have seen this place in the First Choice (I think) brochure Sport Hotel Sagnalonga in Claviere, Italy, it looks basic but it's accessed by chair or skidoo, it looks good as it is truly ski in ski out and I reckon at peak times you might have a quiet hour or so as you have a head start on the masses! There's a place in Zermatt at Riffelalp I think but very expensive. In Saas Fee there were a couple of nice looking pensions above Saas Almagell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and get a stay in one of these places this season (fingers crossed). Great idea about the piste map - should have thought of that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check e bay as well, there is a surprising amount of ski holidays on there
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very good question and you are right in your assumption that these accomodations are often really attractive (especially for all who love everything about winter and snow).

There are many such accomodations, especially in Switzerland and in Austria.

Though I did not stay there overnight (we were there skiing only for one day sleeping down in the Rhone valley) but you probably should have a look at Lötschen-Lauchernalp in the Swiss Valais. The whole resort is a gem off the beaten track and the chalets at the Lauchernalp/Hockenalp are located at an awesome balcony far above (1970m) the village Wiler (1400m) in the Lötschen Valley. Though the skiing area is not very large the skiing is really fine (gondola up to 3100m) and the views are awesome. The Lauchernalp and its accomodation is accessed with cable car.

There are some other gems to be found in this area, especially Aletsch region (e.g. Blatten - Belalp).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, said
Quote:

MissRibena, there is a place in Serre Chevalier like that called Relais de Ratier. On the Serre Ratier plateau at the Chantemerle cable car mid-station.

I'm sure in the past I have seen that one in a TO brochure. It looks quite a substantial place to stay.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure, but isn't the hotel in SC now called Chalet Hotel de Serre Ratier? Looks nice, but I'd imagine not very feasible should one wish to venture out - Chantemerle is 550m straight down - so rather more by foot/vehicle along a very windy track!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Picturesque places that spring to mind 'up the hill' include
Zermatt - http://www.matterhorn-group.ch/en/gornergrat/index.php
Courchevel - http://www.courcheneige.com/
Most places in oberlech

In Les Arcs 1800 - Skiworld have Chalets Cicero and Yves up the hill above 1800 also there are some chalets dotted in the trees above 1600

More 'functional' places up the hill include
Cervinia - Plan Maison
Morzine - http://www.igluski.com/morzine/clubhotel-le-viking_p4982
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ive found its worth a shot to call the local tourist information centre and ask for some recommendations. Or a friendly ski instructor or local on a lift!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy