Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway

Poster: A snowHead
We tried it with Geilo 2005. Not impressed.

Is there anywhere else in Norway that has not got 2 runs and a bag of sweets?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I grew up in Norway and though it is a lovely country in so many ways it really isn't too good for lift served (alpine) skiing. If you are prepared to tour for all your turns in he middle of nowhere there is plenty. If you want XC skiing it has the best the world. Other than that it is hellishly expensive with less snow than many euro resorts.

Geilo is about as good as you are going to get:

In summary, do your research before you go somewhere.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
narc,
Quote:

Shi*T.

There where good bits. The hotel we stayed at in Geilo was fantastic. The food there was spot on. The people where friendly but of course the booze was even more expensive than in the Euro Zone. It was a bit strange with the only off licence barred up in the centre of a shpping centre. Anybody would think the Norwegian people had a tendancy to pop themselves off!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had my first weeks skiing at Geilo and for that it was fantastic. Wouldn't go back now though, only about 2 days worth of skiing there (plus the booze is too dear).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The terrain at Trysil looks much better.

http://www.ski-norway.co.uk/default.aspx

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PisteHead, Compare that to France? Could you imagine that as a three valyees piste map? It would be one tenth of the runs!
Also what are those green bits!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ph, Only trying to help. Sounded like you were looking for a Norwegian resort bigger than Geilo.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you were expecting a french style mega resort you obviously had not done your research. Luckily places still exist that ave not been subject to the frivolous development that occured in France. What did you expect? Boutique shops and overpriced restaurants to match the beer prices?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did 2 weeks in Hemsedal this year and there were some nice steeps and a nice "in-bounds" policy. Too many drag lifts though. Some very steep tree and bump runs. Shocked

I have heard that Geilo is flat in comparison. We did one day about 10 miles up the road from Hemsedal in Solheisen - now that *is* a one-horse town and there are 2 drag lifts which cover the whole hill - still found enough to keep us busy for a day - and it was fun sharing the hill with about 6 other people! Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Norwegians are the most wonderful people. We biked at Hafjell and thought it looked nice for a few days skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I quite like the smaller resorts for a shorter break, but you need to know what you are getting by doing the research. I've done long weekends at resorts in the Pyrenees and Italy which only had about 50kms of pistes each but had a great time at both.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ph wrote:
narc,
Quote:

Shi*T.

There where good bits. The hotel we stayed at in Geilo was fantastic. The food there was spot on. The people where friendly but of course the booze was even more expensive than in the Euro Zone. It was a bit strange with the only off licence barred up in the centre of a shpping centre. Anybody would think the Norwegian people had a tendancy to pop themselves off!

I was talking about the skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been xc skiing at Venabu a couple of times, absolutely beautiful.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get yourself a pair of teles, that's what ALL of Norway is for
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
narc,
Quote:

I was talking about the skiing.

Note to ph. Never go to Geilo again its sh*t. Toofy Grin
snow report
Note to everyone, this is quite possible the most expensive country in the world. £5 for a packet of crisps - seriously. Made Sweden look cheap. We skied in Are and took the train to Trondheim for the day, great place, but the prices - unbelievable.
latest report
Quote:

I quite like the smaller resorts for a shorter break, but you need to know what you are getting by doing the research. I've done long weekends at resorts in the Pyrenees and Italy which only had about 50kms of pistes each but had a great time at both.

I'm with Colin B on this. There does seem to be a lot of people who need 250km+ of piste for a weekend break. We've had some great times at totally unheard of (in UK) little ski areas, often with ancient, slow lifts and sometimes as little as 3 or 4 runs - eg See (Austria), Bad Ragaz (Switzerland), Malbun (Switzerland), Porte de Puymorens (French Pyrenees), Riksgransen (Sweden), Nosal (Poland), Crozet/Lelex (France - overlooking the runway of Geneva airport!) etc. I guess we just love skiing and are prepared to give anywhere a try. There certainly sems to be enough sking at Geilo and Trysil for a day or two.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, they are lovely, and we loved Geilo at the time...I think ph is forgetting that now that he's got a few more skiing weeks under his belt. I can't remember the names of the runs but those red and green runs on the top far right of the piste map - the views were superb, I have one of my favourite snow pictures taken there of a beautiful snow covered tree glinting away in the sun. The hotel (Dr Holmes) was out of this world, again the people were lovely, food amazing (table service) candlelit dinners, piano playing. Our daughter (still only three at the time) got her taste for very rare steak there!! She was the only kid in ski school on some days and loved spending her breaks in the lifties cabin drinking hot chocolate. Happy days. I'll see if I can root out that picture...
ski holidays
So pretty
latest report
...and another
latest report
and just because I can't resist showing her off as she looks so cute and happy on her Norway trip...
snow report
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Busy mid-morning at Hemsedal.

Busy mid-afternoon at Hemsedal.

Busy powder/trees.
latest report
Alexandra, Great pics but i told you lot it was virtually flat in Norway. wink
snow report
ph, and very crowded by the looks of things.

Shimmy Alcott, lovely pics, especially of a very pretty little girl in pink Very Happy
snow report
ph, Wasn't stopping to take pics in the steep bits. snowHead I suppose it's what you make of it - I've heard people say Lake Louise is flat, they were British tourists who usually went to France. They told me they'd just done the front side and saddleback - for those that know LL you'd be doing this... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Alexandra, tossers Laughing
latest report
Alexandra,
Quote:

Wasn't stopping to take pics in the steep bits

I believe you! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All

Perhaps a reality check is needed.

I've only ever been skiing in Hemsedal because I get a cabin for freeeeeeeee Happy

However, regarding Prices in Norway (note I cant comment on winter accomodation).

Hotels in Norway are generally great. Use fjordpass.no for cheap deals. The "Comfort" hotels are good quality cheap and cheerful. The one in Lillehammer doesnt have a good breakfast but is still better than you get in the uk.

Anyway back to Hemsedal. All over Norway booze is expensive so top up as much as you can in duty free. Othrewise think of this. Generally the hotels are great.... they generally have a brilliant (eat as much as you can) breakfast.Many places have free waffles for an afternoon snack adn you can always take a sandwich on the slopes to save dosh. All that amounts to is to consider the cost of an evening meal. Now you may pay £25 for a main course but generally this is "desperate dan cow pie" portions. It is probably all you need. Compare this to the euro zone and it is probably only £3-7 more.

Lift passes, Hemsedal is about £110 for a week pass so you offset the extra on the meal by the slight saving on the pass.

As for the slopes I'm an advanced intermediate going to do my first black runs this year (slowly) so for me the slopes are fine.

It is all relative. Some things are more expensive but some are not and one thing to consider is..... You don't go to the Caribean for skiing....likewise you dont go to Norway to get hammered. Happy

Cheers
bob

Cheers
Bob

It is great. As one poster says, get a set of tele's and go XC and DH
snow report
I've just entered Chris Brookes' competition for a holiday in Geilo (Aprez Zone) - if I win I trust ph wont be joining me Laughing
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, Your right it would be difficult to pursuade me. You would have to be very very nice to me. wink
snow report
Stranda is more than worth a visit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy