Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to book accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New to the boards and have only really done package ski holidays in the past. This year I want to get away as many times as possible so plan to book up cheap flights when they come up. Once you have decided what resort to stay in how do you go about booking your own cheap(ish) accomodation? Are there any specific websites or companies for this?

My first trip will be before xmas looking at the 16th Dec for a week.

thanks for any help

Alan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps use the internet to contact local tourist offices also you may have used Google before
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alancloughley, welcome to Snowheads!

Your idea is a good one, but don't forget the cost of transfers, which can be very high for many resorts, often as high as car hire if there's a few of you. And I think you might have a bit of trouble finding somewhere to rent for a week beginning 16th December, because that goes into Christmas week, & people don't like to split that week up. Actually, most apartment lettings are done on a Saturday-Saturday basis but outside the Christmas/New Year period you've got more chance of finding someone who is prepared to be flexible.

(I know it's not what you're asking, but there are some cheap TO deals for 12th-19th December around at the moment - you might want to do a price comparison...)

As regards accommodation, there are so many companies out there - as riverman says, resort tourist offices are a good place to start, & you'll get masses of stuff from Google. You need to narrow it down a bit, really, & then we can give you some specific answers!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alancloughley, You can also put a request on snowheads for accommodation. Quite a few people have accommodation to rent, just decide where you want to go and see if anybody has anything available. One thing to look at is the cost of transfers to resorts, you will be surprised at how much it can cost, it is sometimes more than the cost of the cheap flights. I find it is usually cheaper to hire a car if 3 or more people are travelling.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys, thats great. I saw a good deal for banf for that time so might try that for a change.

Jo225, what do you mean by TO deals? (sorry if thats a dumb question ) rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alancloughley, For accomodation in Austria and nearby resorts in neighbouring countries, try http://www.tiscover.com/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alancloughley, sorry, Tour Operators, as in packages. For example, we got a very decent deal to Tignes through Iglu including free lift passes - don't think they're offering that at the moment, but it's a site worth keeping an eye on. They're good at last-minute discounts, too. In fact, it's well worth checking out TO sites in general for late deals & special offers, especially for mid-December & early January, which are traditionally quiet times.
(I don't work for a TO, btw! I'm just saying, don't dismiss them as necessarily more expensive - sometimes they are, sometimes not...)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have used ski collection and peak retreats (think they are part of same company). Both very good. Erna Low and Ski Independence also offer accommodation only.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

My first trip will be before xmas looking at the 16th Dec for a week.

thanks for any help

I'd agree with Jo225, your chances of getting accommodation for 16th Dec for a week are pretty well nil. You can get last minute accommodation outside peak holiday periods (ie when hotels are a bit desperate for customers) but may not be able to book them until very near the time. And the point about transfers is very valid too - they will almost always cost considerably more than cheap flights.

With 3 or 4 of you shared car hire is generally the cheapest way.

There are some cheap hostels in places like Chamonix - I've never stayed in them but my niece has, several times, and said where she stayed was great value as they could cook all their own food and stick half a bagette in a pocket for lunch. Depends what you mean by cheap, really, and whether you are OK with dorms. But Chamonix is easy to get to from Geneva with cheaper bus options than many resorts, and a wide range of accommodation costs. And a wide range of skiing, obviously.

Frankly, the cost of the flight is such an insignificant part of the cost of most ski holidays nowadays (outside the peak weekends) that basing all your planning round flight availability might not save you as much as you think.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alancloughley, I can help with accommodation from 16th December if you're interested. Not everyone is inflexible. You will need to sort your own transfer though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We always book independently. I usually decide on the resort. and then google accommodation for said resort, i.e. Morzine caterd chalet (or whatever you require). I always find lots of private accommodation is listed this way.

The other way that I have used this year is to choose resort, and then go to tripadvisor and find the top rated accommodation to suit my preference, and then get in touch with the accommodation via there website. Have to be careful on tripadvisor only because the resorts have different name, eg, Sauze D'oulx is listed as Salice d something!

Has worked for us so far...!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can be flexible before christmas. Les covillets in chatel, facing the Linga lifts
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austrian resorts seem to be flexible with shorter stays. The official
resort websites also usually have a good accomadation booking service. Also with regards to transfers, alot of the resorts are autually on the train line so transfers are relatively cheap and easy.
I've done many a two or three night trip to somewhere like zell am see or similar and caught an early
flight and been on the slopes by afternoon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the replys,

I ended up getting a pretty good result through a TO, week halfboard, flight and transfers to la Plagne for £264. Roll on the first holiday of the season!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alancloughley, ooh, that is a good deal! You don't need advice from us if you can manage that Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy