Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Time driving to the alps - tips please

Poster: A snowHead
alltnaha wrote:
We have done the drive several times with kids . It can be enjoyable - what we do is

- take kids off the Friday and leave London around 07.00 - 08.00

- drive as far as you reasonably can and stay some where OK - eg Logis as thefatccontroller said , so you end up say 1 - 2 hours from resort

- ski-ing by lunchtime.

On the way back either leave late Sat or ( and I started doing this having got so fed up with Sat return jams ) leave on the Fri night , and drive for a few hours .

I would at that time always book the accomodation . And avoid the main service stations - give the kids a run about in the Aires as another forumite said - much better , and no shops/slot machines/quques etc.

Good luck !

John

That's really useful information. We're planning to arrive in resort on Saturday 19th December. As PamW says, better to arrive really early or really late. What's the traffic like driving through France during the day (for us Fri 18th Dec)? If we stay overnight a couple of hours away as you have done, we'd have to travel down during the day. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it? Or should we arrive in Calais 10pm-ish on Fri 18th and travel through the night? We can share the driving and hope the 2 kids will sleep / watch videos / play on PSPs etc but this would be more tiring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
getmeskiing2009, I think that's a really difficult question. We drive back and forth regularly. sometimes non-stop, sometimes with an overnight stop. It's quite difficult to anticipate how you're going to feel and I find a lot depends on the weather. On a lovely clear, cold, starry night I am happy to drive for hours, just stopping every 2 hours for a coffee (I'm the main driver). But if it's a murky night, a bit drizzly and mucky, it's a different story. And in that case, of course, you'd also have to stick to the 110 kph limit.

Given that you only have a week, I think I'd go for an overnight stop near the resort, if you can get away on Friday. Then Saturday can be a really good day - rather than just a hungover sort of write-off. The problem with leaving it for an overnight dash on Friday night is that if you hit fog (more than possible in December) somewhere up north you might have to stop (or struggle along dangerously at 40 mph!) and then leave yourself with a lot to do on Saturday.

I've never driven down on either the Friday or Saturday before Christmas but I would have thought the Friday would be fine - Christmas is not nearly as busy as New Year. But others with direct experience may have more definite advice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am driving to Val d'Isere in Feb (half term!), In the past I have driven via Lyon + Chambery however I am considering going via Annecy. I am overnighting in Saint Ferreol just north of Albertville and the viamichelin/google/teleatlas suggest the Annecy route. (It is interesting to note that the 'breakeven' point is only two miles north of Albertville according to these route-planners. This will be on a Friday!
Anyone have a view on the pros/cons of each route?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So finally we are in Vaujany, and so I thought I'd report back on the transport out part.

We left London at Friday 5pm (before half term week), and whilst I thought the traffic out (from Clapham) would be horrendous, the south circular to the M20 was remarkably clear. All went well until we hit the tunnel. Last week there was much snow and many trains cancelled on the Thursday. There was therefore a back log on the Friday which had not yet cleared up. whilst we arrived early (and we had hoped perhaps to catch an earlier train) there was in the end a 2.5 hour queue to get a train. We arrived in Calais an hour later than planned.

We had already decided to drive about 3 hours before a stop to sleep: ETAP at Chalons-en-Champagne. (Nightmare to find it, and we lost a valuable 30 mins of sleeping time). We checked in around 3am.

We set off at around 8.30 am on the saturday. Traffic was fine for the first part. At Dijon took the A39 (trusting the signposting for Grenoble).

The first of the nightmares was at the junction with the A40 with much holiday traffic going off to Geneva. At least an hour of stop/start until we cleared it - and then again a clear run until the second nightmare. On the A48, approaching the A39 junction where traffic went off to Chambery, again an hour or so of stop/start until that junction was cleared.

Grenoble is where the worst of the nightmares started. Stop/Start for perhaps 2 hours from city centre up until at least Vizelle (forget exactly where). The traffic was just chocka, but then - one of those mysteries - it just cleared up at one roundabout and then the road (it was about 7pm by now) up to Huez / Vaujany was clear.

It took us 12 hours then from Chalons - including a few fuel stops and one quick lunch, and one quick supermarket stop.

Now we are here having a great time.

Not sure how we could have done it better (other than drive through the night, or avoid half term). it is somewhat annoying to have been held up by both Geneva and Chambery traffic.

Thanks for all the tips.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my tip...don't do it
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I dont understand why people want to drive. Ski trips are exhausting as it is particularly with kids who are over tired and sytaying in hotel or chalet bedroom jumping on the bed till late every night. Why make it harder for yourself by driving for two days either side of your holiday?

I would get a flight to the nearest airport and then hire a car from there with snow tyres already on. Drive for a few hours, job done!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mheadbee, we drive for many different reasons. There are only flights to Geneva from Newcastle (and some weekend ones to Chambery). We have our own place, so we don't need a tour operator. We go for two weeks, we can take out lots of stuff for our apartment in the car, our dog can come, our kids can come for free. The Eurotunnel costs us nothing as we use our Tesco Deals. We make it part of the holiday, and stay in some nice hotels on the way, particularly in the summer. Although we had some delays at Christmas, we had far less disruption than many of the airports did at the start of January, and arrived home on time with all of our luggage. And finally, we like it, and don't find it a chore.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My tips (I did it wih friends in Feb 1992)

- Don't do it in a 1978 Morris Marina with no functioning fuel guage
- Don't do the whole trip without using autoroutes in order to save money
- Don't sleep in the car
- Book some accomodation before you leave so you don't end up living on someone's farm for a week
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take all your documents for your car. We got fined today by the police, bloody jobsworth he was Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ! oh well at laeast I can pass on the info. have a good trip!
Razz
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
noble, Bad luck, any document you were missing in particular that he did you for?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
noble wrote:
Take all your documents for your car. We got fined today by the police, bloody jobsworth he was Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ! oh well at laeast I can pass on the info. have a good trip!
Razz

Anybody got a list of all the documents required?

Assume:

Driving licence
Insurance certificate inc overseas small print

The usual travel stuff, passports etc.

But what else required?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The car's log book - the first thing they ask for, in my experience. Plus, of course (if they're in the mood) the high vis vests, spare bulbs and all that lot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
The car's log book - the first thing they ask for, in my experience. Plus, of course (if they're in the mood) the high vis vests, spare bulbs and all that lot.

The V5 doc showing it's our car? Or service history? We don't have a log book as such for our car, just the proof of ownership stuff.

Is that what you mean?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, the V5, I'm showing my age calling it a log book.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BUMP

This years half term trip One hour delay getting on the Tunnel Train because of snow in Kent! Relatively normal drive through France after that.

Return trip left Saturday Morning at 6.00am traffic was beginning to thicken at Aime but not enough for the Tarentaise traffic management system to be switched on, so drove straight thruogh with no hold ups. Lots of Police activity around Macon, a huge snowstorm around Troyes and we got to the Tunnel at 2.45. Would you like an earlier train said the young lady at check in, yes please so we got the 3.42 and were home by tea time Very Happy

Oh yes just for the record DIESEL was €1.20 on the autoroute €1.13 in Calais but only €1.03 at the Hypermarket in Albertville.

and the 30kph non stop Telepeage lanes are brilliant once you get the knack of hitting 30 as you enter. Probably be slighty easier in a car with a gearstick Very Happy

¬
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, 8 hours 45 minutes is good going. Is that straight through with minimal stops?
ski holidays
Quote:

Would you like an earlier train said the young lady at check in,

Golly, do you talk to young ladies? I just drive up and use the screens - don't even need to tell them who you are, these days - they know already. Uncanny. wink The screen tells you the alternatives available and any extra charge. I have still never discovered why anyone would pay twice as much for the "flexible" ticket; they're all flexible!

Sounds like a good trip, Boredsurfing. Leaving at 6 am - good plan!
ski holidays
pam w, when we drove out on 23rd December, there were no automatic check in booths operating, as delays meant they were trnaferring people to the ferry.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Yep filled up at Albertville (110ltr tank!) and only a couple of quick stops.
pam w, Deliberately headed for a young lady as I'm not sure that the screens have the ability to put you on the next earliest slot. (We were booked on the 5.20 so, very early!)
snow report
pam w, Just got back (last night) from our first time drive to the alps and we had flexible tickets for the tunnel from Peak Retreats - seemed to work really well, as on the Friday (12th) at about midnight there was a huge queue at the barriers but we sailed through the flexi plus queue. Also are you allowed to turn up late with a non-flexible ticket? Wouldn't fancy having to gun it through France to meet a particular crossing if you got stuck in traffic, we could use any train. Worked well for us and I thought was worth the extra this week, possibly not on a normal week.

The crossing wasn't the problem yesterday, it was the queues around Dijon, added about 2-3 hours mostly at the Peage's. Left St Gervais at 8:45am, arrived in West London at 11:30pm. Drove through the night on the way out and it was much quicker.
snow conditions
Man on the bus / awing:
If I can add my 2p : You have to get moving early at HT to avoid traffic. Been going to Flaine for 10 years (not this week sadly, had to cancel Sad ). I've always crossed late Friday and stayed overnight somewhere like Bethune F1 (now closed). On Sat we get moving at 6/6.30 and stop for breakfast 2 or 3 hours later. The earlier you get to the A40 (or wherever you're going) the better. Coming back we leave at 7/7.30 and have generally been OK. I know it's hard to get kids moving but you just have to so you reap the benefits later. Regards.
snow report
billb, Thanks for that, having experienced it the hard way the advice sounds good. We had to book an exit appointment from our apartment to get our deposit back and the slots were from 8 to 10am, although to be honest not sure if I could have got my lot moving much before that anyway. If we go there again we'll book a slot for the night before I think! Also, if there is an easy way to avoid Reims that would be welcome too. Thats what held us up the most. Cheers.
ski holidays
you can turn up late - or early - with an ordinary ticket and get on the next train with space - the log-in screen tells you what your options are. We do it all the time; practically never get the train we're booked on. But with big queues at busy holiday times, that wouldn't be so good - I suppose those double the price tickets might be just about worth it then. Reims is always busy at peak times - if there was a sensible way of avoiding it, I guess people would. billb has the right idea - get down the night before. On the journey home though I'd be tempted to stay and ski till around 3 pm Saturday, then head off and get a holiday room 3 or 4 hours up the road, rather than have to rip the kids untimely from their beds.
ski holidays
awing, we drove back on Sat the 20th and it seemed a bit busier than previous years; however we hit the autoroute a little later as we were slowed up by having to use chains to get down from the resort. We had never had a problem with Reims before. We had the car radio tuned to 107.7 and heard about the Reims queues so took avoiding action. Fortunately we had bought a French road atlas last summer (having got lost in Dijon previously) so got a very good route from the A4/A26 junction to N of Reims - empty straight roads; a few km longer but quite satisfying driving at 90kph next to a stationary autoroute. We also took a diversion off the A40 and drove through a beautiful area.
snow report
Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice recently for our first drive out over half term Very Happy

It went very smoothly overall. We had about an hour/hour and half delay on the tunnel on the Friday morning due to the snow around the terminal rolling eyes En route we heard that we could get into our chalet the Friday night after all and so were able to cancel the Ibis without charge and press on to Montgenevre. We had no traffic issues until we got to the Frejus tunnel with only about 40 mins to go to our destination and it was shut for works and we had to sit and wait for an hour for it to reopen, when we passed through it looked as if 'the works' was actually one guy up a ladder fiddling with a camera, and they shut it on the busiest weekend of the year for that Evil or Very Mad

It was quite a long day for us on Friday but we were glad we had done it in one hit as friends overnighted in Beaune on the Friday, should have made it to resort for around midday but finally arrived sometime early evening.

For the return, again as advised, we stayed in resort til 4pm then drove to Troyes for an overnight stop, again no traffic issues at all. Left Troyes early Sunday, no traffic, got to tunnel and got on an earlier one. No problems at all.

Biggest hold up was at the Dartford Crossing on Sunday afternoon.

And the best bit of the journey.....the sweet sound of that first 'bip sonore' Toofy Grin thanks guys snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy