Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The perils of organising a group ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Being the only one in my party who is interested in sorting our annual family get together I just wondered if anyone else suffered the slings and arrows of trying to please everyone when booking the ski trip?

Our party includes 1 skiing/snowboarding 10 year old, 1 competant beginner (me)! 1 intermediate and 1 very advanced skiier. It has also been known to include a granny or two.

Requirements therefore include, kids lessons, good adult lessons, interesting village, accomodation close to slopes, not too expensive, close to airport, a decent amount of skiing for the advanced skier, but enough for everyone else. As you can see, that's a fair few requirements!! Oh and no early morning flights, and no flights at all with Ryanair!

So far we have been to
St Johann (Tirol) - party unhappy with taxi to lifts and not enough advanced skiing
Kitzbuhel - bit too schleppy between lifts, and a few drags
Are (Sweden) - not enough advanced skiing, and ski areas a bit spread out Plus, we are all still paying off the restaurant bills - very expensive. Only one flight to Ostersund available at a ridiculously early time.
Morzine - Accomodation not liked by all, too long a walk to lifts.

As you can see we've tried quite a few differeing types of resorts, but there's always someone unhappy! I personally enjoyed Kitz, Are and Morzine for differeing reasons. Morzine has great snow and lots of variety, Are was very family friendly and had lots of off slope activities (my daughter kissed a moose!), and Kitz was pretty with good skiing.

Anyone else have these problems, and has anyone found the perfect resort Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kyoto49,
Quote:
Anyone else have these problems, and has anyone found the perfect resort

Yes!
After years of trying to be nice and failing miserably my rules are :

1) I decide which resort it's going to be. If they don't like it they can organise their own f*ing trip!
2) If they want to play then they have to put their money where their mouth is. Down payment or you're out!
3) If they change their minds then it's their problem, not mine, and I won't even lift a finger to help them get their money back!

But probably the best advice is : Don't do it. It won't make you happy!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, fortunately (or not) they have all attended so I haven't had any financial difficulties re payment as they are family.

But, they let me book a resort I've researched. They then fail to spend the time checking if hotel/piste map/journey are suitable for them, we get there and then they moan!!

Very frustrating.......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kyoto49, can certainally sympathise. My OH organised out trip earlier this year for a group of 12 and it's like hearding cats!
They are a mixture of absolute beginners through to advanced, poverty stricken to city-bonus rich, some needing rental kit some needing extra baggage allowances, some with specific dietry requirements, two in excess of 6'6" who need extra leg room, two who'll get travel sick if they're not in the front of the mini bus, and one with a freshly broken wrist who forgot to get a doctors note to fly...

We ended up going to Samoens on the Grande Massif. It's an hour transfer from Geneva (easyjet) and pretty much ticked all the boxes. Good skiing/boarding for all levels, goof ski school and nice town.

Missus has vowed never to try to organise that many people again, so Good luck!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-10-09 11:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kyoto49, dump the family, they sound like a right fussy pain. I would take them here

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-10-09 11:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kyoto49, Have a look at Val Cenis. I organised a trip there last year for 10 (mixed abilities) and everyone enjoyed it - I was the one who did all the worrying before-hand. Let me know if you would like further info. Smile Good luck
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steilhang,
Yours is the only way.
Frosty the Snowman,
I think you are right.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We took around 80 people to st. anton a couple of years ago, with a 1/2 decent TO (this is where they come into their own) actually it was pretty simple - this is the resort, this is the week, this is the chalet, phone up and book yourself on. Pay with your own c/card and detail any particular requirements. Once chalet 1 is full up then chalet 2 got the overflow etc. Likewise 40 odd in Les Arcs for NYE - again it was form your own groups and get on with it - that was s/c so some people drove, some flew, some took the train.

A touch trickier for family and with those constrained to going at 1/2 term... but pick 3x resorts and choice of 2x accommodation for each resort email it round and request feedback within 3 days.

I'm sure people managed this before the days of the internet and email!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kyoto49,

Try Zell am See, it ticks most of the boxes!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kyoto49, I've been prominent in organising holidays for our group for a few years now, and I actually quite enjoy it! It lets me start thinking about skiing a lot earlier, and to be fair our group are pretty good at going with the flow, everywhere we've been to so far has been well received. The most we've had travelling is 16, when we occupied a whole chalet in La Plagne. This year we have a confirmed 8 so far, I'm hoping to get it booked by the end of the week!

Generally, what we typically try to do is go to a resort we've not been to before, though sometimes if one is worth going back to we'll give it another go. We usually look for larger ski areas so everyone has a bit of everything. To date as a group we've been to: Tignes (twice), Les Deux Alpes, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Soelden, Flims/Laax, Hinterglemm and Mayrhofen (twice). Of those, the larger French resorts usually tick the boxes in that they cater for complete beginners through to the more advanced lot. But we seem to have graduated more towards Austrian resorts as the apres ski and atmosphere is so much better, and that's something that all levels of skiers/boarders can agree on! Both Mayrhofen and Hinterglemm this year worked out brilliantly for all of the group.

This year we're trying something entirely different, and giving Italy a go for the first time. As long as there's good snow on the ground and the beer is cold at the end of the day, there really shouldn't be any complaints.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serfaus, Austria
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The one most like by our group was Les Arc 1950, closely followed by Tignes Val Claret.

I agree though, it's the organiser gets to choose.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We used to ski with a big group and the deal was that every year someone else got a turn to organise. You don't whinge as much if you have been on the receiving end. The big French resorts always suited us, as we were all at different levels of experience, and there was sure to be some sort of apres ski to suit everyone. The organiser also always got to choose the resort, and got a free dinner one night on the rest of the group to show appreciation for the work done. However, we were not related, so Good Luck!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been organising our group for the last few years and finding the right resort is a bit of a nightmare. We generally have a split between advanced, beginners and one or two intermediates. Val Thorens and Obergurgl might be worth looking at. Initially Obergurgl does not look that exciting for an advanced skier, but if you get a guide there is some great back country skiing that is pretty much untouched. We went there with a very mixed group 72, 70, 67 all decent skiers, 35, going for the first time in 14 years, 32, 31, 28 (all decent enough skiers) and 12. Everyone had a decent enough time - altough the 67 year old was complaining that we couldn't keep up with him for Apres Ski (I think he might have had decent reason!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We tell our mates where, how and when we are going and they can come or not. Some trips its been 3 people, some trips have been 8 but you will never satisfy everyone.

eg Some friends are teachers, some (me+wife included) would never want to go at half term/easter.
snow report
You might also look at Lech/Oberlech, if the budget is available
snow report
Organising group trips is an utter nightmare and every year i swear never, ever to do it again... only to get dragged back into it each September.

We've done La Rosiere twice (loved by everyone since we were all beginners/low intermediates and the price was fantastic.
Courcheval (loved by the people who place skiing at the top of their priorities, not loved so much by the people who whinged about costs and the accomodation not being particularly great - it was a budget chalet).

Then last year we planned to go to Ishgl. I got messed around by people in the group, then some dropped out, then opted back, then out again and i lost the deal on the accomodation. Spent days trying to sort it out, got in a hissy fit and booked St Anton instead. Expected to not like it. but...

All levels of skier/boarder loved it. The price was good, the chalet was excellent and the spa etc kept the non skier happier. Best trip we've ever had and will be very hard, if not impossible to beat.
snow report
bar shaker, we now do the same.

After a general chat about it; we tell everyone which flight and which accomodation to book, then let them get on with it. Once numbers are final we then book transfer busses and lessons (if needed) for them all.

Usual group size is between 20 and 30.
latest report
kyoto49, Frankly, you're a mug. For doing it, and/or for putting up with the whingeing having done it.
A mug, and a saint. I'd love to go away with a big family/freind group - and would never dream of complaining after having let someone else do all the hard work!
ski holidays
kyoto49 wrote:
Well, fortunately (or not) they have all attended so I haven't had any financial difficulties re payment as they are family.

But, they let me book a resort I've researched. They then fail to spend the time checking if hotel/piste map/journey are suitable for them, we get there and then they moan!!

Very frustrating.......

yep, that is where you only get caught like this once...

I tell them everything I have found out... so they needn't be many surprises if they have bothered to ask or take it in..
I book a decent hotel, 4*, typically, so the men don't get grief from the women about that..and then let the skiing take care of itself..

That seems to head off 95% of the crap...

but there is always someone who will find something to moan about..like the guy who asked me to get him home as he didn't know the way...
and then took the black option to the lift he could see in the valley...and ignored the blue option..
and that was my fault... Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
kyoto49, Chose the resort yourself and the group will follow. If they are as ungrateful as you say, do as Steilhang, says and tell them IT IS THEIR TURN TO ORGANINSE THE GROUP.

For such a small group it should be easy to chose most resorts! Even DIY will not be a problem, those with a hangup using Ryan Air tell them to book their own flight and transfer and see them there! Do not molly coddle them all the time, after all it is your holiday also.

I agree with Dav, as it is quite fun to organinse the holiday providing you dont pay for the entire group on your credit card. Pay up, first come first served!
ski holidays
I organise holidays for my family and we have a wide range of abilities, but my parents have always been very happy - definitely not moaning!

I haven't yet been to Austria on this type of holiday but I want to try Serfaus and possibly Bad Gastein, also maybe Saalbach Hinterglemm.

In France, I like Alpe d'Huez for the variety of terrain and the ease of meet-ups during the day (plus accommodation close to slopes and non-skiing activities), all at a reasonable cost. I'd like to explore Serre Chevalier amongst others.

For the last 4-5 years, I've also attended a guided offpiste week per year organised by snowball, to whom I extend my thanks again. Without him I would not have discovered a lot of skiing areas and would not have met a great bunch of people. (And when I said that the last hotel we stayed at was not even in the middle of nowhere, but slightly to the left of the middle of nowhere, I was just teasing affectionately wink Seriously, it turned out great).
latest report
kyoto49, I sympathise. Organising anything for a group must involve a certain amount of compromise. Within my small group of ski buddies there are a few stipulations which really restrict our choices. For example:

• TO only, preferably TUI as one of our number works for them.
• Austria or Italy..
• Flights from Newcastle AND Midlands AND London
• Half board hotel or chalet but must have at least two single rooms or low single supplements on twin/double rooms.
• Ski area with 100km of piste or thereabouts suitable for intermediates.
• Around £500 per head plus lift pass.

We're sorted for 2010, but I can see 2011 being tricky and there's a number of resorts I'd like to try (such as Ischgl, Saalbach, Sella Ronda) that don't fit the criteria.

You can only do your best.
snow report
queen bodecia, The Sella Ronda would certainly suit but not many To's go there. The TUI employee should book the holiday and get the discount for everyone. Laughing Laughing Happy days
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, the problem with Sella Ronda is the TOs only offer flights from London and Manchester.
latest report
queen bodecia, Worth the drive, fantastic area with breath taking beauty!
latest report
Newcastle to Manchester just a bit too far to be convenient. Not a particularly easy airport for those of us in Midlands/Yorkshire either, but a whole load more appealing than Gatwick.
snow report
I usually end up organising the lad's trip away. Quite frankly it's like herding cats or plaiting fog trying to organise a gang bloke (all 40yrs +, responsible jobs etc..). All are senior executives/partners of their organisations and they are afraid to commit or express an opinion on a skiing holiday WTF :~/ Methinks its the lack of a PA to make the decision for them that stymies them.

OK why do I do it? Well, I want to go skiing, I want to go with my mates, and if it all goes mammaries up I've only myself to blame (control).
Flights booked, just get somewhere to go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did it for years: 60 was the largest party.

Steilhang's rules are the only way to go. You can't keep everyone happy.
snow conditions
we end up with our children and partners and grandchild joining us at our expense! Are we doing something wrong here? It's a great holiday though Very Happy
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Colletts Holidays do very good ski holidays to the Sella Ronda. You arrange your flights they do the rest. They can also be flexible on single room costs.
snow report
kyoto49, Organised a lot of family and friends trips down the years.

I do it like many of the others ask people what they like, discuss options with a small coterie and then I decide where to go. If you actually decide by comitee nothing ever happens. I sometimes give a couple of options depending on how many are gpoing.

Anyway with your requirements Laax/Flims may be worth looking at. Switzerland isn't the cheapest country but this is not the priciest area in Switz. Fullfills the other criteria pretty well, though if you are going very late in the season it gets a bit of sun and the lowest slopes may suffer.
snow report
Ive booked the last 3 years lads trips and so far no problems. I am yet to have someone drop out, untill that happens im sure
I will keep orgamizing them.
latest report
With a user name like that; you wouldn't have thought reaching an agreement would be hard.

Yes, I know Embarassed
latest report
I agree - the rule is you organise, you get to choose! Also, you're never going to find the perfect resort with all that list - If it has all those fantastic qualities, it ain't gonna be all that cheap!

A couple that come to my mind are Megeve & Courmayeur, you can do both of these at reasonable cost if you're crafty. You could also do a day trip to Chamonix from there too, to keep the more advanced people happy and to bung the non-skiers up the Midi, since I doubt your group would like it for more than a day Wink

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 16-10-09 15:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Serfaus, Austria

At the danger of sounding like a stuck record, I'd agree snowHead
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
queen bodecia, Colletts Holidays do very good ski holidays to the Sella Ronda. You arrange your flights they do the rest. They can also be flexible on single room costs.

And for where they are, if arranging a DIY flight, Innsbruck is probably your best choice.
latest report
Roy Hockley wrote:
queen bodecia, The Sella Ronda would certainly suit but not many To's go there.

All the major ones do. (Crystal, Thomson, Neilsons, Inghams, etc.)
snow report
Thanks folks. We're really a TO bunch, not DIY, plus we don't book as a group, we book as individuals as we fly from different departure airports. That's the sticking point with Sella Ronda and the major TOs, they just don't seem to offer any other departure airports than Gatwick or Manchester for the Dolomites. I did Gatwick when I went to Passo Tonale in 2006 and it really is a huge inconvenience for me. Manchester is better but still not particularly convenient (not accessible by motorway) and a deal-breaker for my ski buddies oop north.
ski holidays
if you've got a big enough group look out for offers where the group leader goes free, at least you get a free trip for all your hard work!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy