Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RIP Frith Finlayson, pioneer of Scottish snowports & BASI

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sad news today that Frith Finlayson, a post-war pioneer of Scottish snowsports and one of the founders of BAPSI, later BASI, has passed away.

Frith was an inspiration to many who skied and trained in Scotland for many years and on a personal note he, and the other pioneers I saw in the Scottish mountains, inspired me as a kid to aspire to being a BASI ski instructor.

If anyone wants to find out more I can recommend his autobiography, "The Ski Teacher" published in 1997. Although no longer on print it's well worth tracking down and gives a fascinating insight into what it was like in those pioneering days for anyone interested in the history of skiing in this country and/or in the history of ski instruction and BASI.

My sympathies to his family and friends.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad news. He was one of the trainers on my early courses. A really genuine bloke with a passion for the sport and teaching.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very sad news. Without Frith's drive, enthusiasm and foresight BASI would not have happened. He strived to establish professional standards within the the " new British ski instructing industry", standards, that need to be re established.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A charasmatic skiing legend. He loved to ski the crud better than any one else. He gave me my first start in Ski School D'Ecosse where he demanded the utmost discipline from his team of instructors, who as a group, went on to dominate ski instruction for a generation. RIP.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very sad Crying or Very sad my parents knew him well, and I remember him being a legend when I was learning to ski in Scotland as a kid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a short piece now on the BASI website about Frith here: One of BASI's Founding Members' Frith Finlayson, Sadly Dies

Also an excellent Obituary and tributes page on PlanetSki here: Tributes to Frith Finlayson

You can also add your memories to the PlanetSki page in tribute.

Frith's funeral is taking place today in Inverness, my thoughts remain with his wife and family.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wow, missed that one, sad sad news, a legend of skiing (and drinking) i remember many days on cairngorm running into frith we would all think we were the nuts on 205 SL skis or 207GS and he would arrive into the lift line on his 213 SG boards making better turns than anyone else on the hill
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy