Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another 'Which board should I buy' Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Thanks for looking.

I'm in the process of getting a snowboard for my wife. After months of looking, I've narrowed it down to the following 2 boards.

1. Salomon Radiant (2008 i think) 143cm
2. Burton Feather (2008) 149cm.

My question is really, whether to go smaller (143cm) or longer (149cm).

My wife is 5'5" and weighs 9st. We'r are both beginners, and she can just manage her turns but is still not confident on her toe turns.

I've looked at loads of websites recommending lengths, and it would appear that her ideal length (i understand there is an element of personal preference, but don't think either of us are experienced enough to have any preferences) would be 145-147cm.

Thus far, she's only ridden hire boards that she finds heavy and un-responsive. I'm personally inclined to go with the 143cm, but have heard lots of good things about the Burton Feather.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions? Your interest is appreciated.

Thanks again.

PS: I don't know if this should be in the equipment section; apologies if it should. Just though the equipment section was too full of Ski type questions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the feather is basically a beginners board. Once she has turns down then the board will quickly be holding her back to get better skillwise. I would steer well clear despite it's price.
The difference between the radiant and feather is huge. Radiant being the much better of the 2, it's a park/freestyle board though.
I'll throw in
Ride promise
nitro mystique
salomon ivy
or is money is no thing then a burton feelgood V rocker. She will never get better in skill level than the feelgood and the rocker makes turns easier.

Length, I always go just under the chin for all mountain/freestyle. Between chin and nose for all mountain/off piste/touch of freestyle. Over the nose for mainly off piste and all mountain (no freestyle).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
khwaja, hi there.

With regards to length I am about 5'5" too but weigh slightly more than your wife. And to be honest weight is more important than height. I ride a 152 Feelgood ES and a 147 VaVaVoom (these are designed to be riden 5cm shorten than usual) and would suggest the 147-9cm is about the right length for someone 9st. On any new board there is usually because a graph on the back showing the advised length for height, it's worth a look. I think she'll find 143cm way too short, especially as she gets a bit better or wants to get into powder.

Agree with Jonny luv plums, the Feather is a great board for beginning on but it may be worth looking for something with a bit more progression in it, presuming you want it to last a fair few years. Maybe look at the Burton Lux, Ride Promise (am with Jonny again!) or the K2 Fling, which I think is a new one but probably the one I would go for if I was buying in the mid range.

I could rattle on about different boards (can be a bit of a geek) but won't, am sure she'll love whatever, the difference between your own and a rental board is amazing! Enjoy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi there,

Thanks very much for your replies. I've settled for a 149 ride promise. I think she'll like that.

Thanks again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you hadn't settled on the Ride (good board) I'd have put a Salomon Lily on the table. My girlie mates rave about theirs and they come in a 148.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Im no expert in board size but this seems pretty right to me:

http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide.htm

What you think?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll add that a flexible board is great for the first few days (high recommended), but when you start needing a bit of speed you'll need a stiffy. Then again, some never venture out of the snowpark. It depends who you expect to hang out with and what you're into.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My wife's about that size and has a 149 ish Radiant for messing around inbounds with, and she loves it.

She's got a 153 Arbor girlie freeride board for going big and powder days, which she loves even more though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy