Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Smith Course- Castleford

Poster: A snowHead
I've booked a place for this friday 16th (intermediate level) wondered if anyone else was on the course? Not had skis on since April so I am hoping my legs will remember what to do.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How did you get on? I've got booked onto this fridays course was wondering what it was like?

Will
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I really enjoyed it but found it hard. The slow drills really show up the weaknesses and I had plenty of those! Embarassed Gave me lots to think about for this season. How did your session go?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went really well. like you say running lots of drills at a slow pace really works. Will probably go again this friday just to make sure.

JP
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
justapurrin, I'll be there this friday (6th) too. Let me know if you're going.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Work permitting I'll be there with my wife. Hopefully see you there.

JP
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bump from an old post but just wondering what goes on during a few hours at the fridge with these courses? I note there are a fair few in October.

Did folk use hire skis or take their own (and if so what width/type of skis)

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
... what goes on during a few hours at the fridge with these courses?

Hurtle and Touchguru have done one of these courses (at Hemel, but I assume it's the same day they run) so it might be worth PMing them in case they miss this thread.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, i have done two of the day courses and would recommend them. It is expensive but the feedback you get from the instructors is always detailed and extensive, which is invaluable to me.

I did both the courses on my HSFR's so you would be fine on yours. But, I have stopped using them in the fridge's now as they are not the ideal place for them.

The course covers all mountain skiing and starts off with a ski down the slope to put you into your group (there are normally two instructors on the day). I can guarentee that you will do bracuqage for a while and other low spped drills which show where you will need improvement. All in all its a good day and highlights areas you could work on when you are on the mountains.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, I've done a couple, as has Spyderjon before now.

I find it a bit of a refresher and warm up for the season. There's a few drills dished out and you will finish the session feeling you're a bit more in the groove. Best one I went to was when Xscape had left the bumps on the slope; after a few drills it was a good hour on mogul technique.

First one I did was on my slalom skis - 65mm, one on Dynastar 8800 about 90mm and one on HSFR at 102mm. Just use whatever you normally ski on.

You going to go?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, thinking of going sometime in Oct, they seem to be on every Friday at Cas.

I've not had formal instruction for years so was thinking it maybe 'interesting' to see the least!!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Friday isn't a great day for me, but I'd fancy a quick blast too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was considering going on this course, i've never had any ski lessons to date, i've just got by on my friends advice and a lot of eating snow.

Just wondering whether it would be worthwhile or would i lack the techniques? I've done a week in Zermatt and a few ski days here and there and i can ski a black run (technique goes out of the window towards the bottom or if i'm going too quick).

What dates is everyone thinking about going on, it could be nice to meet up with other snowheads?

Thanks, K
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Karl Wooffindin wrote:
......i can ski a black run (technique goes out of the window towards the bottom or if i'm going too quick)....

Which means you can't really ski a black run, moreover you may take out skiers who can as you fall or blast out of control. Get some lessons in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm hoping to attend one of Warren's courses in Oct @ Hemel. Their site shows that they have people already signed up. So, any sHeads going to be in attendance?

Would rather be sharing the experience, instead of being on my Jack Jones Happy
snow report
achilles wrote:
Karl Wooffindin wrote:
......i can ski a black run (technique goes out of the window towards the bottom or if i'm going too quick)....

Which means you can't really ski a black run, moreover you may take out skiers who can as you fall or blast out of control. Get some lessons in.

Aye, you're right.

So anyone else going to be at the October ones in Castleford?
latest report
Saw that they were poorly attended at Castleford and all lessons were held on Fridays when the slopes were covered in Park equipment.

Oh and why are you booking on a course to learn Carving, Short Radius Trurns etc and using Fat Free Ride Skies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
latest report
Super Eagle wrote:
Saw that they were poorly attended at Castleford and all lessons were held on Fridays when the slopes were covered in Park equipment.

Oh and why are you booking on a course to learn Carving, Short Radius Trurns etc and using Fat Free Ride Skies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not?
snow report
kitenski,

Cos fat Free Ride Skis are not designed to carve very well and turn radius is much greater than a slalom ski.

If I want to work on my off piste deep powder skiing then I'd use Free Ride Skis. If I wanted to do caving and improve my performance I'd use a ski which is going to turn much easier. why make it hard for yourself.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, mine seem to carve fine for me, I don't have the luxury of slalom and freeride skis, so I did the lessons with my day to day ski, didn't find it a problem.
latest report
BUT, if you can carve your freeride skis round a dome your must be a ski god! Yes?
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, There was some guy there showing off on 1 foot...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy