Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To What Lengths Do You Go To Go Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Just thinking about the forthcoming season and the "daft" trip we have planned for early November...

Itinerary as follows:-

Fri (after work)
Drive 240 miles to Stansted for last orders in the Kicking Dicky nearby (great pub!)
Night in Great Dunmow Travelodge

Sat
Early alarm for Easyjet 07.55 flight to Munich
Land at Munich 10.50, quick change into ski gear in airport toilets, hire a car and
Drive 2 1/2 hours to Hintertux or Stubai Glacier for 2.30 pm(ish) arrival
Ski 'til closing time
Bit of apres ski
Knock on doors to find B & B
Meal out, few pints

Sun
Full ski day
Swift apres drink
Drive back to Munich for 21.30 flight
Touch down at Stansted 22.15
Leave airport for drive home 23.15

Mon
Arrive home and get to bed 2.45
Get up at 7.30 for work
Arrive at work & tell mates you've had a "couple of days" skiing in Austria.

If Carlsberg did ski weekends they would probably be nothing like the above wink

The sad thing is we used to catch an Easyjet Newcastle-Geneva flight at 6pm on a Friday (11 miles from my work) until they stopped it! That was followed by Jet2 very early Saturday flights from Manchester to Geneva - until they stopped that service! Then it was Jet2 Leeds Bradford - Geneva last season. But guess what? The early Saturday flight's been withdrawn! Now (as Mrs B is a teacher, with no flexible time off) it's Stansted or nothing for an early November ski trip....

We've done the daft 1 night dash several times before from Stansted (or Luton) and by the time we get back home it feels like we've had a week away - not least because we feel like a week's worth of tiredness. It's well worth it though!

There are sometimes 4 drivers in the party and we have devised a rota to get us back safely on the knackering drive home from Stansted when it would be a doddle to fall asleep at the wheel. We each do 22 minutes "on," followed by 66 minutes "off." 2 stints each behind the wheel and we are back in the north east. Easy peasy!! Then again - on our next trip it's just me & Mrs B...

Have other snowHeads gone to similar lengths for the sake of a bit of skiing or are we in the loony minority?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing like that for me. Just an obscenely early Sunday morning start (check in Doncaster airport at 5.30am!).

I would be prepared to do a weekend trip next season if I can find anything cheap enough and can get two days off work.

I had a flight booked from Manchester once (not the most convenient airport since it is a good hour and a half away) but it got cancelled and I had to fly from Gatwick. Definitely never again. A five-hour drive after landing is not my idea of fun. I now choose destinations where I can fly from East Midlands, Doncaster or Birmingham and rule out all other airports.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister, when you could drive to Glenshee in 4 hours, why are you doing all that Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems like an awful lot of money & effort for what will probably be second rate early season snow.

Personally i'd be more inclined to save your money to extend your main trip or use it for more mid to late season long weekends where the snow's likely to be better & there'll be more daylight so you'll get more out of it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like Stress to me.

What if the wind is high,storms & the lifts cannot operate (high prob at that time of year) ?

I,d leave out the Apres Drink (all day sunday) , there is nothing more the Austrian Police like doing, is stopping German (Munich Plates) cars on a Sunday evening..

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 15-10-09 13:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
frank4short, November in Hintertux will be nice snow, no problems there... though Bergmeister, nothing but total respect, thats a dedicated skier.

What lengths would i push to? two words... Bassingbourn Barracks!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister, I admire your dedication but couldn't you find somewhere nearer an airport? Or is there a reason for Hintertux and Stubai? Les Diablerets opens mid - end of October and is only an hour from Geneva? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34681&highlight= Cool

And it's on again this season Very Happy http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1340791#1340791

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 14-10-09 15:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, what an absolutely fantastic report, don't know how I missed it first time round. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, I think you were busy with word footie that day wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, nope, in fact I was skiing. (And I don't do word footie NehNeh )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would sell my sould for a few days on the snow. Although the last time I tried Satin informed me that I can not sell my sould twice and I would need to come up with alternative collaterol.

So for Sale
1 Granny
1 Fiancee
2 Dogs
& the last shreds of my decency
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ordhan, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ordhan, I've invented this nice structured product called a sale and leaseback of souls. Gives you the use of your soul during the leaseback period and hence you may be able to lend it again for limited periods of time wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As much as I cannot wait to hit the snow again, and have been planning a longish weekend sometime this season, that crazy trip sounds like too much effort and possibly a waste of money that could be better used towards a longer or more pleasurable break later on.
Therefore I conclude that you are both loony tunes and have far too much money.
snow conditions
Tony_H, trip might be crazy, I might be a loony tunes, but it certainly wasn't a waste of money - I still had 2 weeks skiing after that Very Happy
snow report
I am attempting a NYE trip to Les Arcs. I say attempt as I made a mess of the booking in the quest to find a cheap flight. Luckily KLM sorted out the balls up.

The Plan

Leave home on 26/12 at 5am
LHR at 6am for 8am flight
Land in Amsterdam at 11am
Train into Centrum and straight to Cafe Pleinzicht for a few De Konnicks
Hunters for an early 'wake n bake'
In De Wildeman for a few more beers
AMS to Geneva 3.40pm
Land at 4.50 then 3 hour transfer to Les Arcs
Meet with the rest and get royally drunk
1 week boarding and getting drunk
Rtn to Geneva at 4pm drink until 8pm
Rtn to AMS and try and get in more beer before going back to LHR with an aching body and a royal hangover.
snow report
Quote:

Hunters for an early 'wake n bake'

What's one of them then? Shocked Puzzled
snow report
Bergmeister,Hunter's is a "coffee shop", wake & bake is an early morning spliff (do they still call them that?) - hope KLM let Gainz onto the GVA fkight after the full on day he's planning Laughing
snow conditions
I've done the following just to get one days skiing....

Flown to New York in Jan, driven 4 hours to Mount Snow, late night checkingm, skied in the coldest temps I have ever encountered for 1 day and driven back for a meeting
Flown to Geneva in November, driven to Tignes late at night, stayed in resort, skied 1 day then driven to the South of France for a meeting
Flown to Milan, skied Cervinia, then driven to Monaco for a meeting!!
Left Leeds after work Friday night, driven to Glasgow, got 6 hrs kip in a motel, driven to Glencoe, skied a day, had a curry/B&B in Fort William, skied Nevis Range, got food poisoning and thrown up all the way back to Leeds!!
ski holidays
kitenski That's the spirit!! I'm with you and Bergmeister on this! Can't see how anyone can think any day on snow (no matter how long the journey/hardship to get there) is.....
Quote:

that crazy trip sounds like too much effort and possibly a waste of money
Shocked Shocked
I could understand the above it was referring to the typical saddo's 'exciting' weekend at Ikea Confused - BUT it's for 2 day's skiing - so has got to be worth it!!

It's as bad as all the misguided souls who think it's "not worth" going to North America for less than 2 weeks - bring on our Feb week-long trip to Fernie Very Happy!!

Anyway, our best ever trolley dash type trip was a Whit weekend jaunt when 4 of us drove to Austria from North East England - Ferry from Ramsgate to Ostend; Arrived in Neustift 20 hours after leaving home; 2 nights camping amid amazingr scenery; 2 fantastic days skiing on the Stubai Glacier; a pop up the spectacular Elfer summit on foot; a night camping in Germany on the way home......2000 mile round trip and Bob was indeed our mother's brother!

Then there was the one night February late night midweek dash to Cairngorm (300 miles) to catch fantastic snow conditions. Arrived Blair Atholl at 1am for a cosy night stretched out full length in the back of the hatchback (now known by workmates as Hotel Laguna....), complete with sleeping bags and duvet. It was -2C outside but we had a great night's kip - and an even better day's skiing. Can't wait to do it again next winter Very Happy.
ski holidays
Stag weekend to Kitz.

Get to LHR - fly friday night (20:30 etc) to MUC.
Get hire cars - 'go oh-drat roof bars stuck to rood (can't tie ropes underneath!)
Drive like nutters to kitz
Arrive c. 1:30am - find flophouse drop kit.
Go for a few bevvies
6am walk back to flophouse, stopping at bakers opening up for the day for a couple of croissant.
Go to bed.

Get up 10am, get hire kit and on the hill by 10:45 latest.
Ski to around 1:30pm, late lunch. Ski again in the arvo.
16:00 back in the gaff. 16:30 watching the 6 nations.
19:30 pizzas
20:30 More beer.
22:30 More beer
23:30 Nightclub & Silly drinks.
03:30 crawl home

09:30 Sun get up and Maccy D's
10:15 Go Skiing all day in fab fresh pow and blue ski conditions!!
17:00 meet back at cars, drvie back to MUC, fly home

Monday
Die at Desk
snow conditions
bertie bassett

Sounds excellent!! Why would anybody NOT want to do that! Life's too short for garden centres, cleaning cars, lazy weekends etc etc!
snow report
Bunch of amateurs.

Exhibit A:
High Wycombe, Thursday after work at pub round corner, quick pint then drive in convoy to Dover, ferry to Calais (before the tunnel was built), drive through night to Megeve. Coffee & croissant, then ski all day. Eat. Sleep. Ski all day. Eat, drink all night, pass out. Ouch. Ski most of day, back into cars, drive back throught the night to Wycombe, work on Monday morning. Toofy Grin

Exhibit B:
3 day conference in Montreux, late March, anyone? I volunteer. Toofy Grin Day one; work. Day two, work. Breakfast day three - "Think I had some dodgy chicken at the chinese last night - I'm going back to bed". The second the doors closed on the conference session, I'm walking down the lake-front in some ski-gear I found in my suitcase wink to the station to catch the train to Leysin, site of my first ski trip - my mission; to ski the piste that in 10 days I never once got from top to bottom without falling over. Mission accomplished. Madeye-Smiley Back to conference by dinner time. "Feeling much better now, thanks". wink

Exhibit C:
Daughter in Prep schools ski competition, Glenshee. She goes in the minibus on Friday with everyone else. Saturday morning, 5am, I hit the road (from the Cotswolds). 5 hours later, I'm in resort, skis rented, pass bought, meet up with school group for recreational ski on the best snow at Glenshee for years. Toofy Grin And on Sunday they won the cup!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy