Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing the fluffy stuff

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the ski heaven thread in the Piste let's hope we get some fluffy stuff to play in this year. It's huge fun, and I spent most the day in fits of laughter as I hit fresh banks of it and skied along with nothing visible below my knees following a huge early morning dump that wasn't bashed. However, suddenly faced with a piste full of the stuff and nippy set of shortish 'bashed piste' skis what can I do to make things easier? IIRC I was conscious of leaning back more to keep the tips up, but progress was hardly smooth (when the laughter allowed), I'd just get going then hit a deeper patch and it would all go 'floooof!!' Laughing Laughing . Any hints and tips for dealing for the huge dumps we hope to get a chance to ski this year would be gratefully appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, Just relax and accept that when you fall over it doesn't hurt Laughing Practice does take time but going faster aids stability for me. Just don't attempt to make sudden turns... it's delicate changes to ski angle that lets you make big sweeping arcs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't try to rush your turns, let your skis do the work. Try to have more equal pressure across both skis; if your outside ski is much more heavily weighted than the inside one it will sink more into snow and be more difficult to manage. Make a clean transition from one turn to another so you don't lose control of your inside ski and form a little stem turn.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You cant really approach powder tentatively, get a bit of speed up it helps your skis float, You can bounce up and down gently a bit to help keep them floating as you getting speed up. Try to weight them evenly and work them together. If you ski it like firm snow the skis go off in different directions.
Ski slush in a similar manner it works a treat for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a lesson Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weight on both skis, don't lean back, bounce up and down, get into a rhythm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/J9noa7GNgt8
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow Megamum talking about knee deep powder, how the years go by. It dosnt seem that long since you where talking about making
those same tentertive turns ON piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lean forwards more and take maybe 3 off the din setting of the bindings, this will help you with the laughing no end Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, wot Rob said. Don't have equal pressure on skis, you just want to be more evenly weighted. The turns much the same, just a bit more subtle.

If you feel the need to bounce up and down you're going to have to get the timing right...on the other hand a little un-weighting goes a long way. Whether by extension or contraction. (Sorry, the last bit probably wasn't that helpful).

In "10cm of fresh Okanagon" you just ski exactly as though you were on piste. Mr Foster's comment about a platform is spot on though, in deeper stuff your skis build up resistance which supports you, you need to get a feel for that.

Incidentally, your "shortish, bashed" skis are probably way fatter and have more surface area than what you'd have skied on 20 years ago... and people skied powder then... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name,
Quote:

Don't have equal pressure on skis,

I would argue that this depends on the depth and texture of the fluffy stuff. If it's very deep and light then it's just like water skiing - more weight on one ski for a moment and you will be eating snow. In just a few inches however, your technique and hence weight distribution will be pretty much the same as on piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RPF wrote:
You cant really approach powder tentatively, get a bit of speed up it helps your skis float

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
I remember last season me and 3 other instructors had the best opportunity ever, and we cocked it up Laughing

We had had over 1m of powder fall in the previous 24hrs and that day we had no lessons as the PGL coach with our students could get up to resort coz they had summer tyres and rubish chains.
Anyway, as we can get up the lift before the punters we had shed loads of un-track stuff to whizz through (real video snow stuff), yeeeehaaaarrrr.
All was going well till we cut off-piste through the forest, why why why didn't I remember the BASI off piste course stuff about wind blown drifts Laughing. Yep, going too slow Shocked All four of us were looking well-ard till we just stopped in a row half way down the run. Skis sunk. Up to our belly. Stuck. Oh dear. Took about 15 mins to free ourselves.

Listen to RPF they speak the words of the powder god wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got a bit of grief last year for mentioning leaning back so I definitely won't say that again! Smile But I found keeping skis slightly closer together, keeping the speed up and being smooth was the way to go. Plus you can ski steeper runs than usual which helps with the keeping the speed up. And have fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Don't try to rush your turns, let your skis do the work. Try to have more equal pressure across both skis; if your outside ski is much more heavily weighted than the inside one it will sink more into snow and be more difficult to manage. Make a clean transition from one turn to another so you don't lose control of your inside ski and form a little stem turn.

Megamum, The key thing to remember is that your ski's & boots are IN the snow, rather than on.

Having more equal pressure helps you to control the inside ski. Because both ski's / boots are 'in' the snow there can be a tendency for the inside one to 'drag' and you get that 'get left behind' feeling, and the eventual stack. Trying to keep the pressure more equal, or even actively pushing the inside ski forward a little helps.

Keeping both ski's 'tilted' at the same angle helps too. If the ski's are tilted at different angles they will want to diverge or converge, with predictable results.

Of course there is powder and powder so you need to be ready to adapt depending on the snow under foot.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How does one stop in powder? I realise falling over is always an option Toofy Grin Often I find myself gaining too much speed for comfort and can wash the speed off with some turns but if you need to stop quickly how do you do it?
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, In my experience one should do a hockey stop like one would do on piste ............and then once the snow is cleared from ones airway, walk the 15 metres back up hill to look for ones skis Laughing Embarassed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 14-10-09 9:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Renry, The only 'proper' powder I encountered was still on-piste - I haven't ventured 'off' yet, but I don't think it gets much better on piste than what we had to play in. Also, yes, it is the same Megamum I think the skiing has undergone a revelation in the 18mths or so, and my ski buddy now reckons I ski a lot better than I think I do. Here's hoping for powder the last week in Jan in Les Arc next year Very Happy
snow report
Boredsurfing, try and use the terrain as much as you can, adjusting your turn shape as appropriate. Depending on the snow conditions it may not always be possible to stop "immediately" - you need enough space to use your turn shape to bring your speed down slowly before the snow / slope brings you a halt. Which is why when skiing off piste it's particularly important that you are with a guide or instructor, who will choose a safe route for the level of your ability, or you know the route really well.
latest report
beanie1, hmm, OK, yes fair point, although I would pedantically argue that having equal weight all the time is less helpful, but the transition phase where you do have equal weight is much, much longer. I think. Hmm, get snow soon, must re-check my thinking is what I think it is... Razz
snow report
Boredsurfing, As any fule know the acknowedged method is to submarine your tips then superman double eject. Don't listen to the amateurs who claim that simply falling over or worse still elegantly slowing with a huge rooster tail will suffice.
snow report
fatbob, I must admit I do use the 'tree well' stop method sometimes Toofy Grin
latest report
Megamum, hope you enjoy it. I hope to have a bash with some off piste lessons or a bit of powder with a guide in next years trip to ADH.
snow report
Mmm.......now there is an idea - I wonder if I'm ready for an off piste lesson yet.......... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, Go for it! I did my first off-piste day last season in March with a guide. The powder was waist-deep in places (I'd never have ventured to on my own) which I'd not have thought I could have skiied, but it was the best day's skiing I've had since skiing with my mates as a teenager. Very Happy

One word of warning though, I was absolutely exhasted by the end of the day: picking yourself up countless times out of deep powder is shattering. wink
latest report
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

How does one stop in powder?

My usual method is to ski into somone else in the group.
snow report
You need really baggy pants, a jacket to your knees and to start saying things like "sick" or "super sick" when commenting on your last run (which is now a line).

Once you've mastered that the actual skiing bit is a doddle.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
You need really baggy pants, a jacket to your knees and to start saying things like "sick" or "super sick" when commenting on your last run (which is now a line).

Plus your face needs to be covered in white stuff like you've just had a trip to the bogs with Kate Moss and a similar teeth grinding gibbering grin.
snow report
Mosha Marc, fatbob, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
to stop in pow? sometimes snowplough stop, when in tight trees. a lot of variations.
it depends....
any fluffy stuff has its own rhythm. just try to feel it through bouncing up and down when going down the fall line first straight ahead.
you have to expect to deal with fresh, wet, old pow.
and do not forget about the base under the pow!
it could be not only groomed run or deep stuff but also severe bumps with ice or crust on them.
expect lots of mileage to get it right.
snow report
make the most of it, ski everything to get experience, real deep fluffy days don't come around that often!!
snow report
Megamum p.s. sorry my English is not native especially in skiing terms, but I hope you will understand my message:)
ski holidays
Megamum, From 1800 go up the Charmattoger, cut left and up the Plan Bois. Then immediately on leaving the lift to the right do the off piste between the two pistes. Very safe, very close to the runs (they criss cross) and you can get most of the way down without hitting groomed.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

Plus your face needs to be covered in white stuff like you've just had a trip to the bogs with Kate Moss and a similar teeth grinding gibbering grin.

If you could combine the two would you actually be in heaven?
latest report
Scarpa, Thanks, I'm sure it would be fine, but the coward in me won't be going anywhere off piste without an instructor/guide!! In fact I may have actually been joking about an off piste lesson Embarassed To me off piste always sounds a bit potentially dodgy to ski bases (hidden rocks, and or gullys) not to mention the lack of ski insurance, potential danger of the unmarked territory etc. etc. Though if I got a foot of powder on piste like we had last year, that's when it would be good to get some practice in.
ski holidays
That`s the right way to start! First explore "blue" offpiste between runs, then offpiste "reds" under lifts for example.
Blacks in outbounds are very demanding for the physical ability.
Not an easy thing!
Good luck!
Smile
snow conditions
Megamum, It's more a case of... "Look... tracked out snow close between two pistes with no avalanche risk. Oooooo... little jumps, small trees, back on the piste, off again, steep chute for 10 feet then slope uphill to slow down, 18 inch drop back onto piste" etc etc.
ski holidays
It's all blue and red steepness.
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
Megamum, It's more a case of... "Look... tracked out snow close between two pistes with no avalanche risk. Oooooo... little jumps, small trees, back on the piste, off again, steep chute for 10 feet then slope uphill to slow down, 18 inch drop back onto piste" etc etc.

I spend my whole holidays doing such a thing but I feel I am ready for a bit more. But like Megamum says I want to go with off piste instructor or guide.
snow report
Megamum, Renry, "guide" and "instructor" are generally what they say on the tin. In Megamum's case she should not yet be thinking about the former. Guides take you places you wouldn't have thought of going because you didn't know they were there, but don't give a huge amount of advice on how to ski what's there. At her stage a guide would be a complete waste. Renry sounds as if he may have done a bit more, but would probably still benefit from an instructor's attentions until he's happy he can cope with pretty much any conditions the mountain can throw at him - crust, crud and steeps in particular - and only worry about guiding when happy that he can do that, even though style may yet be a bit lacking. There are some people who are both guides and instructors, but they're fairly few and far between. The only place an off-piste instructor can't take you is onto a glacier (off-piste), and instructors won't generally stray more than 30 mins from a piste, but that still gives you huge scope. I've had some great challenging off-piste skiing with off-piste instructors.
ski holidays
You have to be confident to let the snow and the turns take you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy