Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow in Sauze D'oulx

Poster: A snowHead
Have almost sorted next years trip, just one hopefully final question.

I keep reading that Sauze has a dodgy snow record. How dodgy is dodgy? I mean, we are planning the 13th March, but if we went on 20th March would we be skiing on gravel on the lower slopes!? I appreciate that nothing is certain in the land of snow, but any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow records from 2002 in cm. Upper then lower slope thus 115/80 - 3rd then 4th week March:

2009: 112/48. 108/47
2008: 80/60. 80/60
2007: 58/38. 115/80
2006: 160/80. 152/72
2005: 62/22. 58/20
2004: 155/53. 150/50
2003: 120/40. 117/39
2002: 114/31. 110/20
2001: 200/100. 200/84

Of course it is a very big area if you include the Sestriere skiing, and even bigger if you include the linked Montgenevre area which has a slightly better snow record.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 14-10-09 10:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball,

Dont suppose you have the same data for 2nd & 3 rd week in Jan..............was thinking of this resort but had the same concerns askyoto49,

ta

Mitch
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, thanks for that. You see that one aberration in 2007 when there was much less snow in the 3rd week than the 4th? That's when I chose to visit Sauze...not only was there 0cm on the lower slopes (snow report every morning claimed 30cm, but it was pinned to a board sat in the middle of a muddy field!), but two days after we got back they had an enormous fall. Crying or Very sad

I really should stop reading threads about Sauze... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And of course 99 which was dreadful too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, Thankyou so much, that has really helped. Judging by those figures there should be some snow both weeks, so I'm a bit more at ease about booking.
Thanks again
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi I went to Sauze this year at the beginning of April, snow was good, even had fresh when we were there but the lower runs back to town were starting to close up/ turn to gravel and mud runs. The run back to Jouvenceau was closed. We skied down to Sauze the first day and after that thought it's not worth it and took the lift down. Didn't affect skiing as for us these were only end of day runs back to town.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As Chris's experience shows, it makes a big difference where they measure. In contrast, the figures for Arabba are often worse than it seems on the ground. Also it doesn't include any artificial snow making (the piste maps normally indicate where this is done).

Mitchell, I'll look for you.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 14-10-09 10:40; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, 2nd & 3rd wk Jan in cm:

2009: 249/168. 260/160
2008: 93/50. 96/50
2007: 69/34. 60/30
2006: 70/30. 70/30
2005: 39/15. 43/13
2004: 150/80. 170/83
2003: 100/50. 108/57
2002: 40/20. 40/20
2001: 147/80. 140/80

(I added another year to the March figures and gave you an extra year too to get past the depressing figures of 2002!)
I must say the reputation of this resort for unreliability seems borne out by these figures - if, as Chris says, they are not representative of piste reality.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 17-10-09 22:27; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PS Is this site running slow the last day or two, or is it my computer?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kyoto49, did you see the figures I got for you?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have travelled to Sauze several times, the last being 2006, and whilst I have had some good years I have been lucky. January 2006 was shocking and the less said about 1999 the better. The snow is notoriously unreliable, and is not enhanced by artificial snowmaking facilities which, between my first visit ('95) and my last had barely been upgraded.

Top tip? Book a late deal, and avoid early season like the plague if you are pre-booking.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have been to Sauze twice; March 2007 and Feb 2008. Both times the snow was reeportedly "dodgy". in 2007 the run to town was shut and we had to take the chair back down each day, but the pistes were in good condition despite no fresh snow for weeks. The morning we left is snowed about 3 feet overnight, annoyingly.
In 2008 it was a lot better and we were able to ski off the mountain every day, but there was no fresh snow and it was really warm. But again the pistes were in good nick.

I'd agree that booking a late deal, a few days after a massive dump, would be a good idea. However, you normally find the higher slopes are ok even in times of reported bade conditions. Its a shame as its a nice ski area, and the link to Sestriere has been massively iumproved for this season I understand. I'd go back at the drop of a hat, but I would wait until there is a lot of snow as I now know how much better it could be.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks people. We have been brave and booked 13 March for a week. Looking at the figures above there should be some snow around!

Tony_H, You mention that the link to Sestriere has been improved this season. I read about the link being a dodgy single chair prone to closure. Can anyone confirm that this link has been updated, and to what?

Many Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The main route to sestriere is to ski down into the bowl, take a chair up to the cable car that descends into sestriere. Although the one main chair does sometime still operate!
A couple of drag lifts look to be replaced for this year:
http://www.sauzeonline.com/blog/sauze-chatter/new-lift-for-0910/

I go to Sauze most years for a weekend (often late march) and there is always enough to ski on (especially in sestriere). The run with the least coverage is the run down into the village. In late march this is patchy at best (apart from when there is recent snowfall).
ski holidays
Years ago the snow conditions were more erratic during January, however, the last couple of years have been very good. I'm booked for mid-January this season so fingers crossed.
snow conditions
We were there in 2001 and 2003 and both were good (2001 was great in fact!). Going to Sans Sicario 24th Jan 2010 - anybody shed any ligh on it??
ski holidays
snow conditions are fantastic just got back this week and it seems like it is going to snow again this week and a dump is forecasted .
Seems like sauze is having a great record for snow over the last 2 years. any one going will have agreat time.......if you want to save some money on lift pass prices, ski hire and ski school contact christine, she lives in the resort and helps independent travellers with some great savings info@skiinitaly.com

Enjoy Sean
latest report
Thanks Sean, I've been following the snow on http://www.sauzeonline.com which seems to back up your comments, loads of fresh snow.

Its only 3 weeks til we depart so unless they have a heatwave it's looking like we will have great conditions. Now if we can just cancel any windy days and order the sun, everything will be perfect! Seriously, I've been skiing to 4 different places for 4 different weeks in Feb/Mar and only ever had good snow and bright sunshine, which my far more experienced brother assures me is highly unusual Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy