Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early flight, ski same day?

Poster: A snowHead
Got a letter from TO this week telling me my flight has changed (almost an hour earlier). This has got me thinking. Last season arrival time in resort was about 1pm so by the time I'd have got up the mountain it wouldn't have been worth buying an extra half day lift pass and ski hire (TO package has 6-day lift pass only). However, an arrival time in resort of about 11.45am makes this a lot more feasible. Have people done this without being too pooped to party on their first night?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 13-10-09 13:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, oh sure! Why wouldn't you? snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - of course!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doh! It should say 11.45am. Flight arrival time of 10.15am.

I guess I'm just asking if it's worth the extra lift pass cost when one is likely to be too pooped to do more than a couple of easy runs.

I did it in Passo Tonale in March 2006 but there were a couple of free lifts there almost opposite the hotel. Pretty sure the situation in La Thuile will be somewhat different and more like Courmayeur (i.e. bus and cable car to get up the mountain, lift pass needed).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, many times. It's usually slightly cheaper to get a lift pass for a whole day extra rather than a separate half day. That's another reason why we never get our lift passes thru the TO.

Remember to pack your ski gear at the top of your suitcase so you can just sling it on and go.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 13-10-09 14:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryanair do a 9:00am ish arrival into Salzburg from Stansted...
Taxi transfer takes about 45min....

You can easily get out before lunchtime..
I know a couple of people who have done a day trip and caught the last flight back!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, last year I drove overnight (most of the way, 'cos Mrs L was ill), skied four or five hours and a good quota of après to follow! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis, lift pass for a day is €42, half day is €26, so definitel cheaper to get half day. I've already booked 6-day lift pass through TO as it worked out cheaper.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hell yes! We take the early Easyjet into Innsbruck - private transfer to St Anton and we're on the slopes at 12:30 Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, your only problem may be waiting for other flights to come in, or you are unable to hire equipment when you arrive as the ski shop is closed for lunch.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cost of lift pass/hire is not a lot in the scheme of things, even if it's only for a couple of hours. Almost alays ski on the first day, usually get on the hill about 1pm to 2pm.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Recentish trip to Morzine we were 'boards on' by 11am and spent most of the day on the hill. Didn't do a massive amount in the evening. When mates came to stay when I was doing a season last year I always told them to get the early flight, and after a quick lunch by at mine we'd be skis on by 14:00 latest.

Ok so it will cost extra for the hire and the lift pass, but then all the rest of the costs are spread over 6.5 days skiing so each skiing day will be cheaper. Some places do free lifts on Saturday pm's which are good for warming up.

Also you can take the time to get the right kit in the hire shop rather than rush to get the first boots that seem like they fit, and then try the kit on the hills.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Absolutely. We've driven all night and skied all day (with four children), and this year we'll be arriving in Bourg on the Eurostar at 06.30, having breakfast in the village, then straight up on the gondola to start skiing when the lifts open (with four children ranging from 20 to 11). Our youngest couldn't hack it until he was 10, but now it's no problem. We're doing the opposite on the return journey - ski all day, dinner in Bourg, late Eurostar back to blighty. Eight days for the price of six (almost!).
As laundryman said, why wouldn't you? It's a no brainer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year friends came out very early to Geneva, and this year they're doing the same again. Myself and Mrsmfj197 are out on Christmas day, friends are catching the 06:05 flight out on Boxing day from Luton getting to Geneva at 8:50 when we pick them up. Out on the slopes by about 10:30 - 11am. Last year they managed the entire day skiing no problems.

Mind you, I wouldn't like to do it myself as they will have to leave Egham at about 3:30am to get to Luton to check in!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have twice been on the slopes for just after 3pm. Even a hour and a half is fantastic. It gets you in the mood and gets rid of the "can I still do it" feeling.
snow report
Yes, many times as well.
The earliest I was on the slope was around 11.30.
Also if the return flight is late I will ski as long as I can.
The buzz from the arrival to the resort definitely outweighs the tiredness.
ski holidays
hmmm... wouldn't worry about it.

If the times all fall into place and you still feel like it, then do it... and treat the extra time on snow as a bonus..

But I have arrived in resort too tired before and it catches up with you soon enough...go with the flow on the day
snow report
Did this at Les Gets a couple of times. Arrive in resort with an hour or so to dump bags, change, quick bite of cake, then sort out stuff in the rental shop while waiting for the clock to tick over the hour for the 1/2day lift pass (probably 1pm or 2pm?). Could have been on the slopes 20-30mins earlier but that would have meant rushing and paying for a full day, but 1st day is just going to be a "getting the ski legs back day".
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
altis, lift pass for a day is €42, half day is €26, so definitel cheaper to get half day. I've already booked 6-day lift pass through TO as it worked out cheaper.
No, I wasn't suggesting that you buy a separate single day pass. I didn't know that you already had a 6-day pass booked. However, I expect that the marginal cost of the 7th day is a bit cheaper than 26 euros.

Like JT suggests, we go with the flow. We make sure we are prepared and then, if timings work out and we feel like it (we always do), we buy an extended pass.

Experienced Snowtrainers will be well used to turning up at the chalet early on a Saturday morning while the previous guests are still in bed. Then finding somewhere to change and straight out on the slopes.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 13-10-09 14:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I do this whenever I have an early enough flight to be able to get on the slopes before about 3PM. But I have my own equipment, so don't need to worry about the hire shop.

I have also found that in some resorts, a 6 day pass is actually valid from sometime in the afternoon of the previous day - which isn't usually much help if you have bought it via the TO, unless they hand them out on the transfer coach.

Last season in the Ski Welt, when I arrived at the ticket window at about 14:40, and asked for a 6 day ticket from tomorrow, plus a "post 2pm" ticket for today, they suggested taht I just wait 20 minutes, then the 6 day pass would become valid. So that was effectively an hour and a half completely free skiing. The website had not mentioned the advance validity of the pass, which is why I had gone up expecting to need the post 2pm one.
latest report
alex_heney, That was certainly the case in Verbier about 3 years ago - TO organised 6 day passes that were valid from early afternoon on the Saturday. Changeover day is always quietest, even allowing for weekenders, so well worth it
ski holidays
Hopefully, I'll have all my own equipment by then, but most of my ski buddies will not. Plus they're are all on different flights. I waited for them at Turin airport last season, but could just go on ahead and get some extra ski time this season maybe. They might be a bit jealous though. Or else they might be trolleyed already by the time I get back to the hotel! lol!

Waiting until the day seems like the best plan. I don't think it's any cheaper to book ahead for a half day lift pass.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I doubt it, and you will only get your lift pass on the coach if you are very lucky. If I were you I'd head for resort and get those skis on.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, when I go for weekend with friends, we drop & go, having got first flight from LGW and comfortably get on Les Gets slopes by 2pm if not earlier.
Equipment pre-booked in shop close to slopes ( and not closed for lunch Shocked Helen Beaumont Very Happy ). First evening is not usually a late night however.
ski holidays
Lou, and pre-booked woth tour op too
snow report
queen bodecia, did it 3 times last season and the season before. If you drop and go and have your hire gear pre-booked (or even if you don't) you won't be contening with mega queues like in the morning. Ditto at lift pass shop. Once up the hill you will hit the lunch time quiet and as you know lots of people drop away in the afternoon quite early. I reckon you could easy get 3 hours in, have a few beers, a kip and be in prime form for the evening.

Or you could cruise around the resort and do FA Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yes, I've done it. But more often I've planned to do it and instead spent the extra time waiting at the airport as the transfer bus couldn't go due to waiting for the delayed flight from Gatwick/Newcastle/Manchester or wherever Evil or Very Mad .

But good luck! Make sure you know exactly where to get your lift pass from, before you arrive. Saves wandering about frantically, wondering if, by the time you find it, will it be worth it?
snow report
maggi wrote:
Make sure you know exactly where to get your lift pass from, before you arrive. Saves wandering about frantically, wondering if, by the time you find it, will it be worth it?

Or even better, many resorts now allow you to buy online, lift pass delivered to your home address prior to departure, one less thing to worry about.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax wrote:
Ryanair do a 9:00am ish arrival into Salzburg from Stansted...
Taxi transfer takes about 45min....

You can easily get out before lunchtime..
I know a couple of people who have done a day trip and caught the last flight back!

We have seriously looked at doing a 1 day trip on this flight. Fly out, taxi, board for the day, taxi, fly home.
snow report
Like maggi and Helen Beaumont have said, you might end up waiting on the coach for other flights to come in. That has happened to me in the past. So keep the plans open and if it's not the case then it's a real bonus. Fingers crossed for you. Very Happy
latest report
geetee wrote:
Like maggi and Helen Beaumont have said, you might end up waiting on the coach for other flights to come in. That has happened to me in the past. So keep the plans open and if it's not the case then it's a real bonus. Fingers crossed for you. Very Happy

That's the thing about TO trips that drives me INSANE - knowing you could have been in resort 2 hours earlier and be skiing and instead you're dumped in some soulless car park in moutiers..
latest report
queen bodecia, that is the way I usually do things. You should get a good dose on skis from 12.00 or so - 4.30 or 5.00. I always find the tiredness melts away when I get up the mountain and start to ski.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, there were separate coaches for each flight/resort last season at Turin, but I daresay it's not safe to assume that will be the case this season. But one advantage of TUI is that they are big enough to need all these separate coaches. However I have noticed that one of my ski buddies is on a flight due to arrive ten minutes after mine so there's a fair chance we'll be on the same coach. Wonder if I can persuade her to ski for the afternoon?
snow report
maggi, main lift pass is booked through TO so won't receive that until the dreaded 'welcome meeting', but according to the website I should be able to buy a half day pass for cash at the bubble lift station.
snow report
Quote:
dreaded 'welcome meeting

Ah, I remember some of those where they would serve up some warmed up ropey red wine disguised as gluhwein/vin chaud and pimp the week's entertainment that usually included a pub quiz, pub crawl (not usually the same night as the quiz) and a fondue evening where you could risk life and limb afterwards on a torchlit descent or, even better, on a toboggan.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
maggi, main lift pass is booked through TO so won't receive that until the dreaded 'welcome meeting',

That is usually true, but not always. I have occasionally been on TO trips where pre-booked lift passes were handed out on the coach.
latest report
alex_heney, yes, I've had that happen too. In either case it's worked out a fair bit cheaper booking a 6-day pass in sterling through the TO both last season and this due to dodgy exchange rate.
ski holidays
Absolutely yes! It has never happened for me after numerous trips with T.O.'s despite leaving home at 03.30 for an early 1 & half hour flight I am usually frustrated we don't get get settled into resort ubtil late afternoon after waiting consolidate transfers, for a passenger to realise their bags are lost or one of the several planes from around UK has been delayed. Self travel was a revelation with a 6:30 Ryanair flight from Liverpool (alas no more), Loaker bus transfer to Zurs. A quick change of gear, a few steps to the lift office a 7 day pas is only 25 euro more than a 6, a half day pas is 33 Euro. Lunch on top of the mountain. The view gets rid of the oppression of travel & wind in the face rids tiredness. A good afternoons ski gives one a thirst & an appetite. A good nights sleep ensues - fantastic. Counting down now only a few weeks to go,
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Where are you staying in La Thuille? If you're in the big hotel then you're right by the slopes/ski hire/ticket office, so no problem.
There is no bus in La Thuille it is a small village. There is a Gondola or chair up to the main runs, though the steepest runs are back to the base station. The resort is a not very far from Turin an hour or two. Your big problem could be that all the planes come in at about the same time (for my TO they did) and then people are bussed together. So a delay to one....
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth, not staying at Planibel as it was too expensive. It's a smaller hotel in the centre of the village but we have been reliably informed we can hire equipment lockers at the bubble lift base station. So far it looks like two of the flights get in within 20 mins of each other and the other two are about an hour later. So you might be right, we might all be on the same bus. There were about 12 buses last season to various resorts (went to Courmayeur), but it could all be different this season. I guess the time of arrival in resort will be the deciding factor.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy