Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learn to Parallel in a day Course

Poster: A snowHead
My wife went skiing for the first time last season and whilst she got competent enough with the old snowplough, the only parallel they did was a bit of traversing, they never attempted any parallel turning.

She's keen to crack it before we go away again this year and so whe's been looking at the "Learn to Parallel in a Day" course at Tamworth Snowdome. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of it ?

Any advice or experience of it will be much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ArseneWengen, see this thread:
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=53515
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Hurtle, I was looking at that post before but it seemed to be more about the learn to ski in a day course, just wondered if anyone had any experience of the Parallel equivalent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ArseneWengen, oh, sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ArseneWengen, I'd suggest finding here a good Instructor\Coach in the UK and ski on a regular basis. That way she will be able to build her skills and confidence as she progresses. Rushing to ski 'parallel' may do more harm than good.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with david@mediacopy 100%
Parallel skiing is just a continuation of the learning curve. Rush it and you'll never get it and end up like 90% of people on the pistes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
d@m and Wayne - hmm, some good advice. Maybe a reality check is in order and she should just use the SnowDome as an opportunity to practice what she picked up last season, then just learn the next steps at ski school when we go in January. And it'll save about 120 quid !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ArseneWengen, the "learn to parallel in a day" course i'm sure is very similar to the learn to ski in a day courses. If your wife can already snowplough turn then half the course will probably be wasted on her. She'd probably be better off with a couple of private lessons with a good instructor before your trip, then more lessons in resort.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ArseneWengen, If I recall, Tamworth used to have a Ski Wednesday which was basically an open practice session but with a Instructor to hand to give help if needed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy wrote:
ArseneWengen, If I recall, Tamworth used to have a Ski Wednesday which was basically an open practice session but with a Instructor to hand to give help if needed.

You are correct. There is a ski only evening on Wednesday and also a Masterclass session too. The Masterclass is really aimed at people who have mastered parallels (or at least the principles of it) and want to practice more, move on etc

I did my BASI L1 at Tamworth, and thereafter my shadowing hours, skiing on a regular basis (weekly) with the instructors, Andy Jerram (whom some of you will know), etc. I've got to know the instructors in Tamworth very well so I'm more than happy to provide recommendations/who to ask for, the strengths of the various instructors, etc etc - just drop me a line if you want any help.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks folks. I remember some friends paying for their kids to have kinder lessons there and in the end it was actually more cost effective to pay for a private instructor than group lessons (as most of the it was spent with the kids who were really struggling).

Sleipnir - can you book specific instructors at Tamworth ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ArseneWengen wrote:
Sleipnir - can you book specific instructors at Tamworth ?

Yes and no - the ski in the day/parallel in a day sessions normally have designated instructors chosen by the Snowdome, but if you wanted a private lesson, it is possible to say that you want it with instructor x - they will see when that instructor is working/available, etc

Although sometimes the Snowdome gets a bit of a bad wrap, there are some good instructors there IMHO. Of course they can't offer the whole 'mountain experience' that you can get on the slopes but in terms of teaching the BASI Central Theme, getting people started and progressing them through the various stages to parallels, they are pretty good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir, Is Terry Cox still there ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ArseneWengen, I once taught a couple of complete beginners and got them to basic parallel skiing in a day (Jungfrau joch glacier one hot sumer day) using a length of slope similar to that found on an indoor slope, so I have no reason to believe teh task unrealistic, it really depends on teh numbers being instructed and teh quality of teh instructor
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mrs Spurs and I have both done the parallel in a day course at Tamworth.
We both enjoyed it hugely. There were about seven in our group, one of whom had tried it before and failed.
All of the exercises we were given were well explained and had a clear logical progression. I think that five of us 'got it', one was a bit nervous but would get there in the end, and one was a no-hoper.
I thought the instructor was excellent, and sent an e-mail to the dome complimenting him - can't remember his name now.
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
Sleipnir, Is Terry Cox still there ?

The name doesn't ring any bells, but hand on heart I can't say I know all of the instructors. There's a handful I know the faces of but have yet to put names to the faces
ski holidays
Sleipnir, He used to do some of the Instructor Training but this is going back a bit.
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
Sleipnir, He used to do some of the Instructor Training but this is going back a bit.

Of late the instructor training (BASI courses) have been run by Tim Carter and Andy Jerram
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy