Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why Hate Ryanair? Panorama BBC1 right now

Poster: A snowHead
Should be a good one to get Snowheads going Toofy Grin

BBC1 8.30 to 9 PM.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
he's a top man Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You've got to be amused by his approach to the business.... single minded. They must have fun workshops determing how to eke every penny out of the cost, and on the other side of the coin how to charge for every little extra...

Fair do's to Ryanair thou, but I'm not sure what Panorama were really trying to get at - was it just a public service broadcast warning everyone about their charges ?

But, surely everyone knows what they are about by now? Or are there still naive travelllers out there?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He's the man, apparently did a triathlon over the summer, shouldn't be long before he starts skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
there's a strange misunderstanding about Michael outside Ireland sometimes, highighted by many MANY threads on here and by shows like panorama tonight, as you say Richie S, not sure what they were trying to do.

the strange misunderstanding surrounds the simple facts that Michael does exaclty as he pleases, he is in full control of the company, and he doesn't care what anyone thinks (all three of which have been argued and contradicted by folk on here - more evidence of this misunderstanding!) Maybe it's an Irish thing, but anytime there's news about him in Ireland it's a case of laughing and then simply saying "fair dues to you Mikey". Again, this is the guy who spent tens of thousands on buying a taxi plate, bolted it to his Merc and now drives to work in the taxi lane, thus cutting his previously long commute time!!!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Ross, that'd be great news if it means lower ski carriage Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do what the wee guy from Leeds does and play him at his own game! I'm sure he'll appreciate the challenge!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really don't get all of the complaints about ryanair. You get exactly what it says on the tin. You want a cup of tea, you pay for it. You want to check in a bag, you pay for it. You want to bring skis, you pay for it. You want a dirt cheap flight that's exactly what you get so long as you play by their rules.

Not only this but 15 years ago ryanair, easyjet, et al didn't exist. If you wanted to fly to Geneva for a non package weeks skiing you paid £300 for your flights. Sure your skis were free & you got a manky meal & your luggage thrown in for the cost. However it still cost more than what you pay nowadays.

So in this short space of time the masses have gotten used to flying for dirt cheap extremely quickly. Now because of the increased cost flying to the airlines & no doubt also cause of the eternal corporate need for increased profits the airlines are clamping down on whatever they can to make more money. Yet the masses are indignified cause their cheap flights with the frills, that actually only lasted for about 5 minutes really, are gone. I have to say i find it ironic how little time with something it takes for people to come out with their righteous indignation.

As to all of the stunts about charging for the toilets, smoking rooms, charging extra for fat people (i personnaly actually agree with this one), people standing it's all a con. Don't believe the hype these are just stunts announced to raise more publicity.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Am I missing something here?

If you dont like Ryanair or their MD or their rules/fees on ski carriage, just go somewhere else and dont buy a ticket. That way (by the sound of it) both parties will be happy because he doesnt seem to want whingeing skiers cluttering his planes with their kit (unless they pay handsomely for it) and skiers dont seem to want to pay his prices for ski carriage.

I doubt he will make it cheaper because the pricing model is likely dependent on the purchase of extras such as ski kit but, in any event, he would prefer all passengers to be hand luggage only as that way he turns his planes around quicker and wont pay so much in fees for luggage loading/unloading to airports

It is not rocket science
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive got the answer - move to europe!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
frank4short wrote:
I really don't get all of the complaints about ryanair.

Er, like people who purchased their tickets, turned up at the airport on-time 2 hours before, and missed their flight because their Ryanair were cutting costs so much there were only 4 Ryanair desks open at the whole airport, not enough to get people checked in on time.

That said I didn’t get the point Panorama was trying to make about his purchasing tactics and screwing Boeing down on the costs of the planes. Good on him getting the best price he can, that’s just business.

I don’t have a problem with them declaring their charges and separating it all out and charging for components, nor do I mind the fact that on board you have to pay for everything, but I don’t like the BS about screwing people over. Ie. Stinging passengers 40 quid per person if they’ve left their boarding pass at home after they’d done online check in (which is a joke in the first place that it’s 5 quid to check in online). It takes the check-in staff all of 10 seconds to click a button and print a proper boarding pass. Family of 4 – bang, screwed for 160 quid. Well, you could argue it’s the passengers fault for forgetting their pass – well yes it is, but you don’t have to screw them over for the privilege.

I used to use them 5 yrs ago and thought they were ok for what they were. In my opinion they’ve gone OTT now with check-in, luggage and other charges etc, so unless your flying hand luggage only I’ve found it’s generally not worth it. Personally now I avoid them like the plague. I’m firmly in the hate them camp and now will only ever use them as a last resort.

Each to their own though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with the above comments; I really don't understand all the criticism of Ryanair. As long as you understand exactly what it is you're entitled to from your fare, there really shouldn't any problem.

I thought this program was a very cheap and obvious attempt to completely discredit the company, without actually really having any backbone to it. All the presenter could do was make pathetic, snidey comments; "£2.70 for a cup of tea!!! £4.50 for a sandwich!!!!".

It seemed to me as if BBC bosses have some form of love-in with BA and the other major carriers and saw this as an opportunity to pick holes in the business model of one of the most successful airlines a round. O'Leary even got criticised for buying his planes at a discounted price, as if playing off Airbus to get a better deal from Boeing was bad business practise!

A very disappointing program, so biased and one sided that I actually found it made me more determined to use Ryanair in future, not less.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dav wrote:

A very disappointing program, so biased and one sided that I actually found it made me more determined to use Ryanair in future, not less.

It was Panorama. That is what that program does.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the £5 online check in fee avoidable? If not, it really should be rolled into the overall price.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, I think certain 'special offer' fares exclude the £5 hence they don't need to include it in every fare.
snow report
thefatcontroller, I think that one is sailing a bit close to the wind, but I agree with the sentiment that if you're bothered there are other choices.
snow conditions
The lad from Leeds was quite firm in that he flys for 2p quite often, he said the most he has paid was £5.00.
It was quite a long advert for ryanair ........
ski holidays
laundryman, Mo'L sailing close to the wind Shocked Be careful he he will be suing you for defamation of character Laughing Laughing . I don't care if I fly Ryanair, BA or whoever, its a case of who's cheapest and most convenient to where I want to go, can't understand why people get so worked up about it all?
latest report
Boredsurfing, Do you think M'oL thinks there is any such thing as bad publicity? He got 30 mins on BBC for free last night. How much would that have cost on ITV?
snow report
People, especially on this web site, moan about Ryan Air screwing passengers....
When in fact they have more flights on time than any other airline in Europe

http://www.flightontime.info/loco/airlines/ryr09.html

And they are also one of the only airlines in Europe still returning a profit during the current downturn.
Compare this to BA, who are losing £1 million a day, laying staff off, and potentially about to go out of business in 6 months time.

Frank4short hit the nail on the head with...

Quote:
the masses have gotten used to flying for dirt cheap extremely quickly. Now because of the increased cost flying to the airlines & no doubt also cause of the eternal corporate need for increased profits the airlines are clamping down on whatever they can to make more money. Yet the masses are indignified cause their cheap flights with the frills, that actually only lasted for about 5 minutes really, are gone. I have to say i find it ironic how little time with something it takes for people to come out with their righteous indignation.

If aviation fuel was taxed at a fair rate (i.e comparable to the CO2 released by a train / car / boat) then you wouldnt be able fly anywhere for under £200.
latest report
thefatcontroller, Reading the letters in Achilles opening post (on the other Ryan Air thread thats running on sH) you can almost enviasge the Ryan PR people rubbing their hands with glee Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

People, especially on this web site, moan about Ryan Air screwing passengers....

As far as I know they can claim their flights are on time, because in their timetables they overestimate a given journey time. So if it takes 120 mins to fly from A to B , their timetable indicates 135mins, when means if they are 14mins or less late, they can claim they are on time.

Having said that I use em at least 4-5 times a year and am very happy with them. If you are the kind of traveller who travels hand luggage only and uses a Visa Electron, they are hard to beat

Re ski carraige, just a couple of weeks ago they had free ski carraige thrown in
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Reading the letters in Achilles opening post (on the other Ryan Air thread thats running on sH) you can almost enviasge the Ryan PR people rubbing their hands with glee Very Happy

No matter how bad the news item, ever known Ryanair not put a spokesperson up for interview?
snow report
kendub wrote:

Re ski carraige, just a couple of weeks ago they had free ski carraige thrown in

was that not for june and july though wink
snow report
kendub wrote:
As far as I know they can claim their flights are on time, because in their timetables they overestimate a given journey time. So if it takes 120 mins to fly from A to B , their timetable indicates 135mins, when means if they are 14mins or less late, they can claim they are on time.

What that says to me is that the other airlines are dishonest in not publishing realistic timings.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
kendub wrote:

What that says to me is that the other airlines are dishonest in not publishing realistic timings.

Huh?

Other airlines publish timings showing what the flight times should normally be, and that is "dishonest", while Ryanair artificially inflate those, just so that they are less often "late", and that is OK?

The other airlines are still "on time" with the majority of flights, just a slightly lower majority than Ryanair.
ski holidays
I did not get the panorama program either! They seemed to argue that it is wrong to get the best possible deal from wherever he can. It may be ruthless but as passangers dont we want flights for as cheap as you can get them! After all I am sure all of us look at other airline sites before we book, then choose the one that suits, €5 here €20 there..... bottom line do we like it, if so we book it!

The presenter was fun though, probably has never worked for an organisation that has to make money to stay afloat. An amazing jaundiced view of how a/any business works!
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

http://www.flightontime.info/loco/airlines/ryr09.html

That is an exceptionally misleading statistic.

Given that they are the third largest carrier (behind only Easyjet and British Airways), you would expect the figures relating to "number of flights" figures to be among the highest.

If you look at proper comparative figures
http://www.flightontime.info/scheduled/scheduled.html

They are only 19th out of 35 for average delay, and 21st for the % of flights arriving within 15 minutes of scheduled time. Almost 1/5th of all their flights fail to meet the "within 15 minutes" target.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think we all know not to believe the headline price and to add everything on. The main problem with Ryanair for me is that they don't usually go where I want when I want.
snow conditions
Gazzza, It's their business model get over it. You now exactly what you're in for when flying with them. Which means you've got be organised, plain & simple. If you forget your boarding passes it's your problem. Why shouldn't they charge you for your mistake. remember it's business not charity.
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
Huh?

The most useful timetables would show journey times where the flights were as often early as late. Assuming a short taxi, no air traffic delay and a tailwind, for example, would always underestimate. What's difficult to understand?
snow report
Isn’t the reason most people don’t like Mr O’L is that he is a git who everyone known’s will bust big style sooner or later, and when he does he gives the impression that won’t care.
latest report
Frankly, the purpose of a timetable is for me to plan onward - if I am told I am going to get somewhare at 14:30, then I can plan a meeting for 14:35. I don't care if the time is inflated, my expectations are managed.

Not bothered if it says its 3 hrs 20 or 3hrs 40 to Newcastle from London. I just want the train to do what it says on the tin, so those meeting me can plan. Or if I want to get to a game, I catch the right train to arrive in time, not 30 mins 'late' because someone was optimistic in their estimates.

Like Geneva trams - they added 8 minutes to their x-town times when the trafffic levels increased. But you knew what you were getting, and adjusted accordingly -
you could TRUST them.
snow report
Frankly, the purpose of a timetable is for me to plan onward - if I am told I am going to get somewhare at 14:30, then I can plan a meeting for 14:35. I don't care if the time is inflated, my expectations are managed.

Not bothered if it says its 3 hrs 20 or 3hrs 40 to Newcastle from London. I just want the train to do what it says on the tin, so those meeting me can plan. Or if I want to get to a game, I catch the right train to arrive in time, not 30 mins 'late' because someone was optimistic in their estimates.

Like Geneva trams - they added 8 minutes to their x-town times when the trafffic levels increased. But you knew what you were getting, and adjusted accordingly -
you could TRUST them.
latest report
Misleading marketing and Mr O’L generally being a tool sirring up the press by announcing things just to cause a reaction and call attention to himself and Ryanair is why I hate them.
snow conditions
20 or so years ago I remember that flights cost about the same as the hotel and you got a small refund from TOs if you took the Ski Train instead.
You can argue that cheap flights are bad for the world, but that they are good for the traveller seems to me obvious. I may grumble occasionally but most of the flights I book are Easyjet or Ryanair.
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:
Gazzza, It's their business model get over it. You now exactly what you're in for when flying with them. Which means you've got be organised, plain & simple. If you forget your boarding passes it's your problem. Why shouldn't they charge you for your mistake. remember it's business not charity.

so it is ok to charge some one more for forgetting an A4 piece of paper than the original cost of the flight Puzzled

I do not like they way they set things up and do not use them for that very reason; I do not expect to have to un-earth every bit of small print to ensure I am not f@cked over at the checkin desk for forgetting the boarding card Very Happy
snow report
It's good for Ryanair and other cheap airlines to exist. They keep their competitors on their toes.

It's also good that I don't need (anymore) to fly with them.

I won't miss the trumpet sound when landing at 7ish am, "Another Ryanair flight arrived on time!". Yes, and I could have snoozed for another 10 minutes. To say nothing about the strident voice offering me lottery tickets half way through the flight. Generally, I like to have a more pleasant or at least unobtrusive experience with service providers.

But, again, if they didn't exist then flights on better airlines would cost much more.
latest report
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=8RqJk6JTJBo
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wayne, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy