Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are Teton Gravity athletes just crazy?

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at some Teton Gravity trailers over the weekend and some of the stuff they do it just crazy! Here's one in particular

http://www.tetongravity.com/videos/Behindthe-Line-Episode14-Sage-Hotel-Room-800408.htm

where the skier is just feet from a serious cliff fall in AK. They say there are scared themselves so is this really taking risks too far for our enjoyment or are these risks acceptable?

Channel 4 currently have a show running called Dare Devels http://www.channel4.com/programmes/daredevils and it talks about the mind set of these extreme risk takers. Are they just foolish or are they driven to explore the limits of what's humanly possible where once you have overcome one fear you need something more dangerous again to get the same buzz?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Isn't that the video we discussed here - though I see the link there is now down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there are some like Jamie Pierre who are a bit unhinged or, in his case, has an extreme faith in God. Guys like Sage though surely its about them being at the very top of their profession and being able to cope with things that we more mortals couldn't even consider.

I suspect driving in a car with a F1 driver would feel like madness to most of us but their reflexes and speed of thought would mean they were operating well within their capacity.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross,
Fred Syverson 107m (351ft) cliff huck

(although this was accidental...)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Ross, standing at the top of that thing with the big cliff drop next to you isn't much worse than ridges you come across climbing. don't deny the exposure is scary but plenty of people enjoy the exposure

skiing that face is kind of nuts but not seriously crazy - you hear him planning out the route at the top to manage the hazards
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, Sorry but I only picked that clip as an example, there's lots of other ones!
Arno, Ye but I assume you don't hurtle back down when you are climbing snowHead . Although I suppose even when you drive your car there isn't much margin for error.
Watching Dare Devils now and apsychologist said this sort of behaviour can be a response to a deep seated fear such as fear of heights, so doing it even though it scares you is a way of feeling in control. I'm scared of heights also, oh No!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Question Are Teton Gravity athletes just crazy?

Answer On the evidence of those clips, undoubtedly yes (as I see the world), but obviously they have a different view.

In the Sage clip, getting out of the helicopter, at all, looked crazy to me, let alone letting it leave without you on it, meaning skiing was the way down.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont think crazy is the right word.
Though they might have a differerent perspective on life to many people ?

Those guys are all incredible athletes performing at the very top level. They will all be very aware of the risks - but those are calculated based on their skills and ability. Its certainly not a gamble. Seth Morrison and Sage Cattabriga-Alosa have spent an entire life time training and slowly building up to that kind of performance level. Its not like they suddenly decided to send it just because the camera was running. Certainly its pretty extreme compared to what most people do on skis - but you have to respect them for dedicating their lives to performing at the top level of their sport ?

I think it was Shane McConkey (RIP) who said he thought anyone spending 50 weeks a year working in an office (on Wall Street) was crazy. He might have a point ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice ironic name that descent has - Hotel Room. Skullie
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think they're crazy exactly but they do want to get noticed and get paid. In order to do that they have to keep upping what they're prepared to do. It's a treadmill of sorts, albeit a very exciting one and there will be loads of people, limping around somewhere, who fell off (!) before you even heard of them. Blooper reels used to make me laugh, now they make me wonder if they skied again that season.

What guys do on mtn bikes, what big wave surfers do etc. it's the same basic premise. It's also turning your hobby in to work and then a lot of the fun must go out of it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think they're crazy exactly but they do want to get noticed and get paid. In order to do that they have to keep upping what they're prepared to do. It's a treadmill of sorts, albeit a very exciting one and there will be loads of people, limping around somewhere, who fell off (!) before you even heard of them. Blooper reels used to make me laugh, now they make me wonder if they skied again that season.

What guys do on mtn bikes, what big wave surfers do etc. it's the same basic premise. It's also turning your hobby in to work and then a lot of the fun must go out of it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fr0sty wrote:
Peter Ross,
Fred Syverson 107m (351ft) cliff huck

(although this was accidental...)

we sponsor Fred. He'll be at the London Metro show so come and have a chat to him.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1, it's already on the calendar! Smile

A pity you couldn't make the Hemel ski test, I was looking forward to thanking you for the skis which you sold me, as well as testing the new Whitedotfreeride range.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fr0sty, yeah I really wanted to come to Hemel but with our first baby only 2 months away and trying to get everything ready for the metro show and the factory I just couldn't fit it in.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kiwi1, that's hardly an excuse is it?! Very Happy

I'll definitely be on the look-out for the 'dot stand; good luck with the show - (and the mini-kiwi of course!).
snow conditions
kiwi1, you doing the Birmingham ski show or just London?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy