Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do you drive to the Alps?

Poster: A snowHead
With several threads running on flights being cancelled etc, I am reminded about how glad I am that I drive there wink

I accept it isn't for everyone and it would be nice if this doesn't turn into a flying v driving argument - I'm just interested in why those who drive choose to do so?

Originally we drove for long weekends - in the days before low cost airlines - when the twins were born neither of us could face the idea of a plane with two babies (for which I hope those of you who fly are grateful wink ) so we drove.

Wouldn't have it any other way now - enjoy the scenery through France, stop off overnight for a good meal each way, and generally find it stress free.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Defininitely not for me. There's only one of me and the £200 petrol bill and two lots of 20+ hour driving does not appeal at all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have always flown, I suspect this may change this Easter, last year I flew the family of 4 over Easter inc 2 pairs of skis for £300, this year it's looking more like £700....+transfers+parking at the airport.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris, I enjoy the drive (although I spend most of it in the passenger seat. We take the dog too, ans she wouldn't go by plane. Stress free too,as hubby hates airports.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flexibility and we can and do take the kitchen sink, self/cat , sometimes I'm surprised the car moves Toofy Grin

The enjoyment of open roads (normally).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had already driven in France quite a bit before heading for the Alps. Drove the first time because we were tacking a week of general mooching around France onto a last week in the season holiday in La Plagne (and were just a bit concerned that The Bogee 5 at time wouldn't go for skiing and this way our week mooching could be extended if necessary - hindsight is a wonderful thing!)
Next driving holiday was cost based - 5 of us on the mother of all last minute budgets at half term and the car allowed us to take both ourselves and 90% of our food and other needs at a fraction of the cost
Now, we just prefer it. Can take pretty much anything we like, have the maximum possible control, the route is basically point and shoot and now quite like ticking off Rheims, Troyes, Dijon etc as we pass, flexibility in resort even if that just means a quick trip down to a supermarket we can afford and next time we're likely to be picking a french friend up en route so driving is the easiest option. And as we're increasingly tied to school holidays for us it's cost effective.

I also can't get my head around everything being on 'the wrong side' of the car if I hire one at the airport.

We're fortunate to live only 45 miles or so from the channel ports which of course makes a huge difference to the attractivemess of the idea.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We started driving over 25 years ago when I had a fully expensed company car, so driving was way cheaper than anything else. If I can get the 4 of us to plagne for less than £500 I will fly and hire a car. Easy Jet Bournemouth Geneva on a Thurday for £30.00 a head plus £200 for a hire car will always be favourite but certainly not cheaper during school hols to which I am tied at the mo.
I find the journey is pretty stress free, the car knows the way and once in cruise control its simply a matter of holding the steering wheel wink If I fill up in Ashord I can do the trip on one tankful so thoretically don't need to stop at all Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cos it's quicker and cheaper Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia,
Quote:

and two lots of 20+ hour driving does not appeal at all
are you off to Moldova then?...

When we moved to Austria in 2006 we always flew. We had one young boy and Salzburg is only 40min drive from our house so flying was pretty easy. Once he became a 'child' and not a baby we have to pay a full fare and now we also have another 18 month baby.
So we decided to drive for the first time back in May. It took about 14 hours to Calais and was pretty simple... the way back took about 13 1/2 hours.. but we could bring baked beans with us and (much more importantly) lots of Ale!

This year we have driven to the UK and back 3 times in total. every time it is getting easier and we always fill up in Luxembourg now to benefit from the cheap Diesel (86 cents on the motorway Madeye-Smiley ) On the last trip it took just over 13 hours and we had a 45min stationaryish traffic jam.

So I now quite like the drive and certainly think it is the best thing to do with a family of 4.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We normally drive four up with all the gear just makes life easier also means we normally manage to get 8 days skiing by arriving early first day and leaving late on the last. We flew for the first time in a while on our summer hols this year and were delayed for 27hrs! reminded me why we normally drive!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
Cos it's quicker and cheaper Wink

Razz snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used to fly but two years ago took the decision to drive to Les Houches - a combination of attempting to keep the cost down and convenience with two kids, one of which (whom?) was only 6 months old at the time. The only drawback on that occasion was a lack of foresight meaning we didn't do an overnight stop so a 20-hour drive with only a couple of hours kip in a service station car park.

Haven't been out since 2007, but have already made the decision that we will drive next year (to either France or Austria) with a stopover each way, probably around the Metz area if we go to Austria.

Plus, I allow boots in hand luggage provided it goes in the overhead locker.......
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, 4-5 hours to Dover, then potentially 14-16 hours to Italian resort. Plus I'd be on my own so having to stop and take a break every few hours. So lots more than 20 hours each way, not to mention the cost of petrol. Bit of a no brainer for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take too much stuff with me to fly and it is an easy enough drive to anywhere I want to go.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flexibility and independence Very Happy

Also good to able to pack in all kit including bedlinen (required for where we stay) and some food. Most of the time we enjoy the drive.
ski holidays
Coz I would hate spending the week at Salzburg or Geneva airports Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm out for the season this year so having the car will be useful for trips to other places and shopping not to mention carrying 6 pairs of skis a snowboard, a mountain bike, tools for all of the above plus boots and clothes.

For a normal 1 week trip (to France) I can get 8 days skiing in, which includes the Saturdays when most people are travelling.
Splitting costs makes it economical (my car is cheap as chips to run too) and being a hearse makes easy to carry loads of stuff. Plenty good values ferries if booked in advance.

An overnight within 2-3 hours of the resort helps a lot and allows me to arrive refreshed before the lifts open.
I can ski most of the following Saturday hitting Calais early hours of Sunday am back in Notts by 0800.
Tiredness is the only problem on the return journey after the ferry so must find more mates who can sleep in cars to share the drive or will start to overnight on return too.
Considered avoiding tolls but I think the drive is long enough as is.
snow report
Quote:

Considered avoiding tolls but I think the drive is long enough as is.

You think right. We made that mistake once - only once mind you!
snow report
We do both, but my preference is to drive, stop when I want to, stay late in the resort and get some quite skiing in as everyone has left, don't need to worry if I can take my helmet in my hand luggage, how I love Grenoble airport Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

being a hearse makes easy to carry loads of stuff

Plenty of room for a lie down as well
latest report
I confess I don't really understand the argument that people drive because they've got young kids. Don't get me wrong flying with my 20 month old is hard work, but I can't imagine a 12-15 hour drive. At least flying the journey is broken up into segments, and they do get to stretch and wander about for most the journey (even if that is hanging about airports).

Surely the last thing you want to do with young kids is cram them in a car for 15 hours. Mine would be going mental, he just about tolerates the daily 45 min commute home from work/nursery each day, and occasional 2-3 hours drive away for the weekend, but I don't think i'd want to inflict a 15 hour car journey on him. Maybe it just depends on the kid? I suppose if I had to, we'd do it and he'd just have to get on with it. But also babies particularly shouldn't be couped into car seats that curve their spine for more than 2 hours at a time.

That said, I do see the benefit of being able to take everything you need and not be limited by luggage.
It's something I could imagine doing, and probably will do with older kids, especially once they can amuse themselves with portble dvd's, games, books... But with pre-schoolers I'm not sure I get driving.

Whenever I've looked into it, there's not been a real saving (maybe its different as we can avoid school hols at the mo), but even having to pay a full fare seat from when ours is 2, it was still cheaper to fly - we booked early and got BA returns to Geneva next Jan for 80 quid each incl. tax.
ski holidays
We have not yet driven for the following reasons;

1. I think it would be too far for my husband to do all the driving. I am not an experienced motorway driver and feel daunted at the thought of driving on the wrong side of the road. What would we do if he broke his leg skiing? We'd be stuck!

2. Fear of the other drivers. I lived in france for a year and have memories of french driving being rather hair raising particularly on mountain roads.

I don't like flying (particularly charter flights with drunk brits!) so we always go by train which is enjoyable but not that cheap. It would be nice to take more stuff and shop in a proper supermarket on the way so maybe we will eventually try driving.
latest report
I actually enjoy the drive, for one thing. I think it's less stressful than flying/train whatever - I feel more in control of my destiny and know that I won't be sat next to a load of drunken chavs as I was when I flew to Romania a couple of years ago.
I can also take as much luggage as the car can carry, food too if self catering.
I can time my ferries, and my resort arrival and departure to suit me - resulting in an extra day skiing this year.
If I want to go on an excursion, or food shop, or a day at another resort (as I will be this year) I have my own car, so will not be waiting for buses or paying silly money for taxis or coaches.
snow report
Funnily enough 2 hrs on a plane bores me rigid..whereas 8 hrs in a car looking at the map, chatting, napping... and the easing into holiday mode all works for me..
Cars are winterised now and we normally do a two week road trip with about 3 stops..

We have say, 7 days booked in accom and then have a rough idea of where we will go later..being in a car and geared up for it driving to the lifts...means it doesn't matter if you are 5 mins or 5 kms away....so we can often get hotels sorted on the hoof if we have too..

The latter part of the second week is generally scouting out a new place for the following year...
ski holidays
snowymum, the roads are better than here, and there is far less traffic. Only difficulty in a RH drive is pulling into traffic from a sliproad. If he broke his leg, you would just get on with it and drive home, because you would have to. I had to drive across mountain passes to visit my hubby in hospital when he broke his neck, and lived to tell the tale. I had driven regularly on the right though in the past. I didn't drive all the way home though, a kind SnowHeads did that for me, but if I had had to, I would have done.
latest report
Haven't driven often, but when I have it's because I've been sick of airports. Gatwick and Geneva are particularly nasty examples, especially for charter flights.
ski holidays
Haven't driven because we live in N. Ireland! I think it'd be a long drive. Has anyone done it(from north or south)?
snow report
snowymum wrote:
We have not yet driven for the following reasons;

1. I think it would be too far for my husband to do all the driving. I am not an experienced motorway driver and feel daunted at the thought of driving on the wrong side of the road. What would we do if he broke his leg skiing? We'd be stuck!

You wouldn't be stuck. You would just have to stop hiding behind that rather feeble excuse and get on with it. If millions of other people can do it, why can't you?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 12-10-09 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowymum, I suffered a prolapsed disc on a camping holiday in the Dordogne. The Mrs drove back to Zeebrugge and found it rather easy despite never having driven on the right before
ski holidays
snowymum, I wouold give it a go - the motorways are very quiet and smooth compared to the UK. I will agree that some of the overtaking in the alps can be interesting, I just slow down on any straight bit and let them past.
snow report
I've driven, flown and taken the coach. I would never get the coach again and Olympic have done everyone a favour by cancelling their coach service, just in case anyone was tempted to use it. They did the best they could with it but it is a godforsaken way of getting to the mountains.

Unless going in the kids holidays (I have no kids, so this doesn't apply) then it is so cheap to fly, its a no brainer. I drove to Cham* for new year, as flights were eye wateringly expensive for that time and enjoyed the drive. I'd certainly drive again but for cost comparison, our Jan trip to Tignes is £225 flights with lots of luggage allowance and £150 transfers... for 3 people.

With 3 of us its break even for driving/flying, probably slightly more expensive to drive, but so much less hassle to fly if you get your head around being treated like cattle for a few hours. Sure there's the chance of a delay, but then I have in years gone by sat on the French motorways in thick snow for hours whilst they clean up a crash. An airport lounge is a nicer place to be stuck, if you are going no where.

* Chamonix is a bit different to most resorts in that having a car there is a big bonus and we used ours almost every day, to drive to different piste areas.
ski holidays
For me it boils down to the package / non package arguement.
Cost benefits are marginal, but I would rather practice my French and discover some new places en route, rather than revisit the same old airports with the same old hassles. We vary our channel crossing point to give different northern routes, as well as our destinations. Yes driving home is a drag, but sometimes it is almost the highlight of the holiday, well perhaps just better than GVA at 2pm Sad
Most enjoyable is the train, but it doesn't offer much in the way of alternative destinations.
snow report
If you've got kids and kit, and want to self-cater and pick up copious quantities of booze on the way back, then driving HAS to be the option. The downside is 24 hours plus on the road there and back rather than six or eight in the air and around the airport - but the upside is EIGHT DAYS SKIING!

This year we're either going to the Dolomites, which are too far to drive realistically, or the Portes de Soleil - and if it's the second, then it's a Thursday night chunnel crossing and a blast through France for us, with a stopover close to the resort ready to ski, ski, ski all Saturday!
ski holidays
Always thought it would be great to have your own small plane, a runway in the backyard and be able cruise straight into the altiport. Combines the best of both worlds really...
latest report
1. Young family who are better off strapped in car seats watching DVDs than running around in airports

2. Can take what we want with us. Skis, high chairs, prams; without being charged

3. Can take lots of food for self catering (cheaper then buying in resort)

4. Extends the holiday by a day or two. Makes it seem like you've been away longer

5. Can depart/stop/come home in our own time.

6. Have a vehicle in resort (if needed)

7. Lots of time to talk with each other as a family

8. Can work out a lot cheaper in peak times
ski holidays
Shows the importance of where you live for driving to the alps. A lot of people give adding a days skiing as one of the reasons. If you live in Scotland you may lose a day with so much driving. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Tommy4681 wrote:
Always thought it would be great to have your own small plane, a runway in the backyard and be able cruise straight into the altiport. Combines the best of both worlds really...

Tommy I have had my pilot's license for a good few years now.

If you want to know what a delay is, getting a light aircraft into and out of the Alpine weather systems will redefine your understanding. Getting into an airport that has ILS procedures will be eye wateringly expensive too, in the Alps.

You can get an instrument rating (so you can fly in cloud and at night), but need an aircraft that is much more expensive to maintain.

On a sunny day, Corcheval, Megeve or Meribel altiports are about 4 hours from Essex in an SR22 so it is possible, just not practical.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 12-10-09 17:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Last year we left our resort at 1000 in our hire car and drove to Grenoble airport for an afternoon flight home. Our friends left resort at same time to drive all the way back to the uk.

Due to delays and all sorts of rubbish, we got home at 0400 the next morning. Total time door to door 18 hours

Our friends were home in bed at 2200 hours after a total door to door trip of 12 hours including stops.

We have driven before, so guess what we are doing this January and it does not involve a single airport Very Happy
latest report
Yeah, bar shaker, that's not quite the way I saw it happening. Looks like I'll just have to stick to hooning it down in the trusty Golf with various pairs of skis jabbing me in the back of the head...
latest report
Bad Roo - Don't be rude. Everyone is entitled to choose how they get to the alps. As a matter of fact driving to the alps is far less eco friendly than taking the train. Maybe you could be brave and try the train one time. Millions of people driving everywhere is not doing the planet much good is it?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy