Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fischer red heat 160

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
o
I'm an early intermediate skier and have been offered a pair of Fischer Red Heat's (2009) 160cm in length. I'm around 5ft 9, weigh 75kg, would these ski's be a suitable length for me or should I really be looking for something a little longer? I was hoping these skis would be good for a year or two and when I am more proficient I could move up to something a little longer in length.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no expert, but it does sound a little short - I'm 5'6" and ski on 165s. Also, every Fischer ski I've ever had (Progressor RC4, Progressor 7, Progressor 9) is heavy, stiff, and needs someone with a bit of bulk to get anything out of it, and I'm led to believe that the Red Heat is exactly the same, so your 75Kgs may not be enough to get them bending.

If you can try them first, give it a go. If not, maybe find a good home for them - I might even be tempted myself Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ousekjarr wrote:
I'm no expert, but it does sound a little short - I'm 5'6" and ski on 165s. Also, every Fischer ski I've ever had (Progressor RC4, Progressor 7, Progressor 9) is heavy, stiff, and needs someone with a bit of bulk to get anything out of it, and I'm led to believe that the Red Heat is exactly the same, so your 75Kgs may not be enough to get them bending.

If you can try them first, give it a go. If not, maybe find a good home for them - I might even be tempted myself Embarassed

Please forgive my ignorance, but I would have thought that if they were a bit stiff then shorter is better?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EDIT - duplicate post

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 13-10-09 12:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mfj197, these are all-mountain skis, so they have to cope with powder, crud, ice and pistes - the length is necessary for weight distribution to provide float, while the stiffness provides a more stable ride on piste and at speed. Compromise on one, and you get either a poor piste ski, or a poor off-piste ski, rather than something which is OK for everything.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks - didn't know what sort of skis they were! Yes, completely agree that a bit of extra length would of course help off-piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
so would the general concencus be that the 160's may be okay but not ideal for learning on?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes - depends so much on your level and confidence. As an early intermediate, they're probably out of your ability range, but that doesn't mean you can't get them to work for you. From memory, they're targeted at 6-9 on the 10-point range, where you might be wanting something in the 3-7 range if there is such a thing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy