Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last year's skis - a good buy?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking that if I can buy skis at a reasonable price, this might be a better bet than rental. However, this year's models are usually NOT what I would call reasonable - we're tight with our money up north!

Question is - and I'm sure it's been asked many times before, so apologies to the old hands - is there really much difference between last year's model and this year's shiny new ones? There are plenty of reputable dealers out there who will sell me last year's skis at a substantial discount, but, of course, I can't try them out. If I want to try, I'm limited to what EB have to offer at Castleford - and they're all the latest models

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some skis change very little year to year especially if the model name doesn't change you may just be looking at graphic updates. Sometimes there is a major leap forward in skis e.g. with a significant shape development such as current rocker skis but for the average piste ski I think you'd struggle to say which was which year's model in a blind test.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It really depends on the particular ski, but as a rule I can't see you can go far wrong, check out reviews on here and other sites depending on what is around.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sometimes the decals have been changed and thats it. But of course there are new models every year. But to be honest and I hope this doesn't sound patronising, if you need to ask this question, I doubt you wouldn't notice the difference.

The main thing you need to be sure of is that you are buying the right type of ski, for the terrain you want to use it on. i.e. Piste, back country, park, all rounder and whats more don't get a ski that is too advanced for you or vice versa.

My wife got some Flowery Rossingol's last year (cant remember the model but they were lady specific) It was at the end of the season and they were NOT in the demo pool, they just gave her a brand new pair to try. When she took them back at the end of the session knowing she wanted them, I asked how much, they replied we will knock you £60 off seeing as they are end of season. I said how about half price like the rest of the demo skis, OK then. The skis retailed at £360 She got them for £180 after trying them out, better and much much safer than buying off Ebay.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoff10 nearly all the skis I've purchased have been last year's model and I've always been pleased with the result.

If you list a couple of skis you are considering I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise any changes between it and this year's model.

I'm surprised fatbob didn't say this wink but it's also worth having a look at the buy/sell section of this site as there are often lightly used ski bargains to be had there!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Get older model. Sure skis change, sometimes a lot, sometimes a bit, and sometimes it's just new paint job. But nevertheless, one or two years old model won't be bad choice. If you would be top 10 WC contender then sure, get new ones, but even those guys are sometimes skiing with few years old skis (painted to match current design).
So unless you are ready to buy new skis every year (to be with most current graphics design), you will be just fine with year or two old model. I change skis maybe once every 3 or 4 years, and even then because edges are gone (race stock skis have much thinner edges), not because new model would be so much better. Just a small comparison... Until this summer, I was skiing with 2005 Fischer GS skis. As I wrote, edges got too thin, so I got new ones. Even though everyone are telling new ones (hole skis) behave totally different, I didn't see really all that much of difference, that it would be worth changing just because of this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Folks,

Thanks for this. Kel, no problem, I DO need to ask the question, and if you didn't tell me, I wouldn't have a clue Puzzled I agree about buying from a dealer - ebay is just too risky for such a purchase

I'm looking for on-piste skis for a relative novice who actively wants to improve - I'm reasonably fit and strong, just incompetent with 2 planks tied to my feet! thinking of Salomon Aeromax Ti, or maybe Xwing 8, but the xwings may be a step too far

Roger C, I'm also surprised at fatbob's reticence Very Happy cos I've had a look through the forum, and he's never held back before!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoff10, worth bearing in mind whether the skis are mounted with bindings or not. F'rinstance, I have two pairs of race skis, (I only race one a year, it's a story) one pair were €120 and are very usable, one pair were €20 and had two services left in them. Both came with very serious bindings that can be used elsewhere, if required...

So buying something at a good price with bindings, can be useful later. Especially as there isn't really a performance issue with bindings, until you get to really high levels.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoff10 wrote:
I'm thinking that if I can buy skis at a reasonable price, this might be a better bet than rental. However, this year's models are usually NOT what I would call reasonable - we're tight with our money up north!

Question is - and I'm sure it's been asked many times before, so apologies to the old hands - is there really much difference between last year's model and this year's shiny new ones?

I've always been of the view that if you're good enough to tell the difference between an xyz 123 in 168cm '09 model and '10 model of the SAME SKI then you're good enough to not to have to ask the question

You've asked the question ergo you won't tell the difference. Possibly the graphics change a bit from year to year and possibly the odd few mm is added/removed here or there.

I bought a second hand set of lightly used skis last season from a friendly snowhead and they took me from re-learining snowplough turns upto bumpy black runs and some simple off-piste. Cost me around £180 including bindings and I stuck about 12-15 weeks on them (was boarding as well) and they'd probably be good for another season.

Agreed with the other comments on 'purpose' of ski and get the right length.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geoff10, So you want a pair of unused 08 K2 Seths then? I think Nick Dawes is in line but if that doesn't work wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, NO - I want to live a bit longer yet, please Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoff10, the snow and the mountains stay the same year after year.

Therefore, even if next year's skis are a revelation, you will still have as much fun and achieve as much as anyone else has already over the previous twelve months, using last years.

There's been twelve months of ski reports and magazine reviews telling you how amazing that year's skis were - even if only 10% were not b*llocks, then that's a fair few skis that will be great fun to ride, no matter how out of date the manufacturer might want you to believe they are! Very Happy

Buy old skis, ski the hell out of them until they snap in two, and finish every day on the mountain with a monster grin on your face! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go for last years man! Even if there has been a huge amount of development on ski's, 12 months before people would have been queuing up to get the ones your looking at a year down the line (probably not literally).

Anyway how many people on the piste are actually going to know if they are this years, last years or three years ago?

They will still ski well and if they are missing some new technology get some new ones couple years down the line again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoff10, Have to agree with what seems to be the general concensus - definitely go for last years. Apart from a few exceptions (such as the introduction of carving skis a few years back and I guess the fat skis more recently), ski development tends to be evolution rather than revolution. Fundamentally, the skis hardly change - just a new paint job! I'm thinking about getting a pair of de-tuned race slalom skis and I'm looking at last years or even 07/08!

Let's face it, unless you're going to change them every year, you're pretty much always going to be skiing on previous years' skis!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LAST YEARS???? WHAT !!!!!!! Happy

I've got a pair of dynastar driver9's in Norway. Cracking ski for me and a couple of years old. They were good enough for the pro's to go sliding down a mountain faster than I'll ever go so that'll do me.

For here I've a set of Volkl Legend's from 2003/4 These were an absolute bomb years ago and were brilliant then. Guess what, Happy Ignore the tech-heads in mag's/shops. Its the same snow, the same mountain so the ski will be fine for you to progress.

Think of the car analogy....

For the price of a new Ford Focus you can get a second hand Lotus Exige. It's not new but even second hand it will be far better than the focus ever will be. So dont buy New and cheap buy second hand expensive ski's knocked down. Happy

On the new v's new front..... The new exige is slightly faster than the old one. But unless you're THE STIG you wont be able to tell. Happy

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
geoff10 Definitely go for last years. Worth checking current specs to make sure they've not changed the design to significantly first.

I currently have some beautiful 08/09 Fisher WC RC4s for sale on these here pages which could be just the ski you're looking for Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

I currently have some beautiful 08/09 Fisher WC RC4s for sale on these here pages which could be just the ski you're looking for

oz5000, thanks for the kind offer! but again, I would like to live a bit longer just yet, thanks
ski holidays
I hope you dont mind me doing a bit of used ski pimping as well!

Would my Fischer AMC76 in 176cm be of interest to you? More details, pics etc on the Buy/Sell section.......
ski holidays
Quote:

I hope you dont mind me doing a bit of used ski pimping as well!

Roger C, not at all Smile

Buuut . . . I've just had a look, and a trawl across t'internet, and I think these might be a bit long and stiff for me just yet - as many have said, it's important for me to be honest about what I can do, and what I really need

Getting warmer though - these look to be nearer my needs than fatbob's K2's and oz5000's RC4's
latest report
glasgowcyclops wrote:
LAST YEARS???? WHAT !!!!!!! Happy

Think of the car analogy....

For the price of a new Ford Focus you can get a second hand Lotus Exige. It's not new but even second hand it will be far better than the focus ever will be. So dont buy New and cheap buy second hand expensive ski's knocked down. Happy

Cheers
Bob

Think you are mistaking "far better" with "faster and better handling" a Lotus Exige will NEVER be a BETTER car than a Focus or an Astra or a Golf.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy