Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dubai snow dome thing

Poster: A snowHead
How does dubai compare with other domes? I've been to landgraaf and thought it was small, crap food, crap rental gear, crap snow and crap staff.
Dubai I take it is bigger, is there a park? I cant find one on their site?? Is their rental gear any good? Or at least better than useless.

Worth going? Novelty day in the sun or a good thing for a week?

This wiki says its not even there???? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Snowdome
It must be there no?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny luv plums, There is a resort report in the resort review section which might help.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have thought about paying it a visit but the locals must think I am nut bringing my own skis to an environment with the ambient temperature cruising around 40-45 degree C.

Some may fancy the idea of staying in the 7 star hotel and have one of the most expensive skiing holiday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Dubai is fun for a couple of hours, but feels very, very cold! I skied ther last year in August and November, and had a few snowboard lessons (I was not going to get on a snowboard at my home mountain!) I was not impressed with the snowboard instructors Shocked
It's a good place to go during the hottest months.

The Snowdome is another project completely which I believe has been put on hold because of the downturn in the economy wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I looked but did not ski. Unless you are desperate don't waste your time (or money).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Did Ski Dubai in August. One of the better (i.e. larger) snowdomes - nice to be able to stop for a coffee mid-slope! Don't understand the wikipedia article which is referenced: try this one instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski_Dubai or SD's own site at http://www.skidxb.com

I took my own gear, as the local boots/skis are reportedly "soft".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as with any snow dome, its not a mountain

compared to others its better.... or the best? not been to japan or others
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The stats in the last wiki article (85 meters high, 400 meters long) means its not larger then Landgraaf. Does look a bit more polished, but thats about it. (And landgraaf has a hut midslope as well!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers ladies.
Freestyle night looks fun rolling eyes
"Ski patrol at Ski Dubai is on the slope to monitor the action and enforce the strict 'helmets only' safety rule."
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dubai is wider than landgraaf but shorter - as Ronald says.

I like the "Hutte" at landgraaf and can often be found in there nursing a hot chocolate and lamenting the fact I'mn ot at a REAL resort! Wink

You'd be insane to go to Dubai for a week of that crap.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have been to xscape and ski dubai - ski dubai is much better. It's bigger and has a small section of steep slope. Also has a chair lift (beware the drag lift...).

Of course... not a substitute for a mountain though!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
v1cky24 wrote:
Also has a chair lift (beware the drag lift...).

no.... beware the chair... its slow and they slow it even more for foot passengers which outnumber skiers! Drag lift is alot faster
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
daehwons, It may be a lot faster.... but it is brutal!!! Only about 50% of people I saw using it made it to the top! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
v1cky24, Then they are pump.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were there and saw it but did not ski as our (shopping!) time was limited.
Looks very impressive .
If you are in Dubai anyway, it should be good fun for a half day, but do not go especially for that.
snow conditions
I might add... I think it was much cheaper than indoor places in the UK also. It was practically empty when we went.

The little hut thing is quite cool. Toilets are in there so you don't have to leave the slope.
ski holidays
v1cky24 wrote:
The little hut thing is quite cool. Toilets are in there so you don't have to leave the slope.

Is it like a drive thru?

Do the girls have to ski in backwards?
snow conditions
daehwons, Laughing
ski holidays
I went here during Ramadan so it was deserted, but the mid-slope cafe (and pretty much everywhere else in Dubai selling food/drink) was closed. Bit annoying because the only way to rehydrate was to go to the toilets and drink some water in private. They provide jackets and trousers but I would bring a jumper as well because -1C feels very cold inside compared to the 45C heat outside in the summer! My ticket was for 3 hours but I was getting too cold and stopped after just under 2.

Much much better than Xscape in Milton Keynes. Not been to any other fridges.
snow conditions
musehead, welcome to Snowheads!
latest report
I haven't been but have been told that all of the rental skis are made by Atomic.
I don't know about the boots though.

The guys who told me were the logistics department of Atomic that I teach English too.... so I would hope they would be pretty accurate! I think they sent over something like 2000 units!
ski holidays
great. So the same atomic crap as landgraaf then. Why do places do that? Absolute beginner kit. I despair.
snow report
Jonny luv plums, because 95% of people using it will be beginners or low intermediates, and it's cheap? Most places also have higher end kit that you can hire should you wish.
snow report
Quote:

So the same atomic crap

Bit harsh isn't it?... I think they sent some D2's and SX's over there as well as "the same atomic crap" .... I'll ask on Thursday and see if they can remember.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums wrote:
great. So the same atomic crap as landgraaf then. Why do places do that? Absolute beginner kit. I despair.

I have been and to be honest I wouldnt go back..............waste of cash.
snow conditions
ski holidays
Smokin Joe wrote:

I look at that picture and see fun fun fun. Wallride to the left hand side on the blue wall. Ollie fence to gap in the middle and is that a tiny kicker on the right? Looks more interesting than landgraaf.

atomic rental is crap, end of story. Atomic sales gear is not.
snow conditions
I have to be honest, I have never used or rented 'atomic rental' skis. I'll do some asking on Thursday i think!
I recon they are exclusively reserved for the non-austrian market... all the atomic rental stuff around here is Atomic 'sales gear' with a shiny sticker stuck on it!
Do do see the odd non-branded Atomic ski that just says Atomic and that be it... normally in Penny MArkt for a couple of hundred euros.... all season being left to get dusty!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny luv plums, it looks bigger / better than it actually is, honest.
snow report
Its better than the UK offerings and the best deal is the all day pass for £50 quid if you do the hourly rate then its pretty expensive. Dont forget to return your RFI pass or you will be a few quid out of pocket. The rental skis are fairly trashed (Oct 09) and i had taken my own boots on the off chance id would get a day there. I put a couple of run vids up for the kids on youtube if you search kevindonkleywood. One run down each side. As you can see it is big enough to be very quiet on the slope. Its a great facility but i would not travel there for it, only worth it if you are close by anyway.
latest report
Jonny luv plums wrote:

Actually Landgraaf is currently using Volkl crap. Razz
ski holidays
That does look like fun.

Amneville in France has a 620m long slope:

http://www.snowhall.fr/piste.htm

according to google it is about 3 hours drive from Landgraaf....considering a summer road trip to both...
snow report
but that is probably full of french, possibly worse than being full of dutch.

awesome website - open 365 days a year, mondays closed Laughing

I actually drive past that once a year, might be worth a stop, see if they will kick me out, landgraaf didnt (god knows why not).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy